This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#114913 by philbymon
Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:49 pm
Okay, I've been following this case in the papers. This crazy lady & her bf even chased their black neighbors in their car, according to one report. They constantly harangued them with racial slurs, openly, on the street, & for what? Simply living there. Stupidity abounds, doesn't it?

The neighbors eventually responded. What else could they do?

My area is one of the most tense, when it comes to racism, that I've ever seen. Considering that this is supposedly a "northern border state," it doesn't really surprise me all that much. I've found, in my little bit of wandering in this country, that the north is far more problematic in this area.

http://www.journal-news.net/page/conten ... 38720.html

A few years ago, there was a black couple in town who'd just had a baby. They put up a sign in their front yard saying "It's a girl!" Their next-door neighbor then put one up saying "It's another (n-word)."

I was shocked, to say the least, but even more shocking were the number of ppl I heard laughing about it.

Still, I would hesitiate to label this a "hate crime." It clearly has a lot of hatred involved, but the epithet of "hate crime" just bugs the sh*t out of me. It's a crime. It's a crime because one person is harassing another. Enough said. Why do we need to put so many special labels on crimes? It makes absolutely no difference what the reasons for the harrassment are. It must be stopped. It must be punished.

White on black, straight on gay, male on female, whatever the crime may be, it's simply that - a crime committed by one person against another human being. Let's not exacerbate the issues by all the extraneous labelling. If this had simply been called harrassment, the AN wouldn't be trying to involve themselves.

I don't hesitate to say that I can see their point, either. Name-calling was done by both sides, though the black couple had tried to get police intervention a number of times before they responded to the hate.

It's time we stopped adding so many charges to a single illegal act. Why should anyone be charged multiple times for a single crime? It just seems kinfa stupid, to me, & it also looks like a vicious bit of overkill on the part of gov't. I suppose they can get extra money if someone is fined for all those crimes for a single illegal action, but does it actually deter anything? I think not. A bigot will remain a bigot, no matter how many ways you call him a bigot, no matter how many trumped up charges you hit him with.

A crime committed against a person is no better & no worse simply due to the reason for the crime. It's a single act. Treat it as such, & move on. Don't give anyone an extra reason to defend their actions, with extra labels & charges.

#114914 by KLUGMO
Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:01 pm
Hey phil, are you BWI.

Bitchin While Intoxicated.

#114922 by philbymon
Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:29 pm
LOL

Nope. I'm just responding to some stupid sh*t in my area.

It's just one of those things that bugs me.

Does it not bug you?

#114927 by KLUGMO
Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:45 pm
People that do stuff like that are small minded. No amount of law or media attention will change it.
A lot of societies problems like that one go back to bad parenting.
About the most important thing you can do personaly is not pass sh*t like that down to your kids and if they pick it up at school, stomp it out quick.
Manners, work ethic, common sence, logic, Human worth. These are
things that are rare in kids now. Where were they saposed to get all that?

PARENTS

#114928 by Slacker G
Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:50 pm
What KLUGMO said.

You can't legislate morality.

#114931 by jimmydanger
Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:07 pm
I think Martiansburg is near Olympus Mons. Too bad we couldn't ship all stupid, polluting, racist, space-wasting people to Mars.

#114933 by KLUGMO
Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:23 pm
When did it happen? When did people change so much? Did it start
after the sixties, seventies, eighties? We have at least a couple of generations now of young people that just don't have a clue. They are their own worst enemies and they think that whats happening in politics now is par for the course. That is their normal. They didn't pay attention in high school during history class and know it doesn't have to be this way. If they knew the original intentions of FDR for Social Security and looked at what Senators and Congressmen and Presidents have allowed to happen since. You would think they would flip-out about their future.
But they are so burdened with surviving or worse not giving a sh*t it's all turned into perpetual politics. You can't stop the political cancer of politics as usual. It's not hard to see another Civil War in the future of America. I mean how bad does it have to get? The best minds in America want nothing to do with the Pesidentcy. By the time you get there you are so corrupted you are helpless. It's going to be something VERY BIG to change America and get it back on the right path again. That scares me and should YOU.

#114975 by Dessalines
Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:26 pm
Slacker G wrote:What KLUGMO said.

You can't legislate morality.

So, on that basis, you'te for the legalization of all drugs and prostitution? Let's see, murder is a moral issue too but I think that except for serial killers, this audience would stop at making muder legal. Just checking...

#114979 by KLUGMO
Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:31 pm
You are putting words in peopls mouths Dess. Drugs are leagal, prostitution is leagal and murder is leagal if you are on death row.
Open your mind before your mouth.

By the way so is same sex mariage

#115027 by KLUGMO
Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:12 pm
That was a mouth full.

#115031 by CraigMaxim
Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:19 pm
KLUGMO wrote:

That was a mouth full.

Especially with the extra letters you sometimes put in certain words.

LMAO!!!

Come on... that's funny brother!

#115035 by KLUGMO
Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:23 pm
Funny ass a double tailed, one eyed Georgia Bull Dog with a flea up his asssss

#115042 by philbymon
Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:38 pm
Wow, Craig! I was expecting you to defend the modern approach of adding label after label to the same crime, for some reason...

Dessalines - are you saying that we should legislate morality? Do you think it right & proper to add all those labels & charges for a single act? To what purpose?

#115057 by CraigMaxim
Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:20 am
philbymon wrote:Wow, Craig! I was expecting you to defend the modern approach of adding label after label to the same crime, for some reason...

Probably because we have discussed this same issue before, but substituting women for minorities. And yes, we disagree on this, although I could agree with you, that remedies are often overdone, and create a whole new set of problems.

But I think there is much more involved in this issue, than you have contemplated yet. The argument... "We don't need new laws. We just need to enforce the ones we already have on the books!" has merit in many other situations, but sometimes situations are unique, or serious enough that more stringent measures are required to counteract them.

Last edited by CraigMaxim on Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.