This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Talk with other musicians and industry professionals.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#95714 by JeffPhillips
Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:06 am
From most of what I've read and experienced, most bars are part of what ASCAP and BMI call non surveyed venues. These venues are responsible for negotiating a license to cover performance royalties. The catch here is the smarter owner may claim he had no idea you (or any other band) were going to play "cover tunes" not in public domain. This would then technically make the band responsible for performance royalties. The owner is now off the hook by means of a ephemeral use cluase. And unless you are charging $5000.00 a night to play it's not worth going after you for the royalties.

With all that said thank god the amount of money that would be collected is so little compared to the cost of enforcment/collection that there is generally no problem. Most very large club type venues (where cover tunes might be played and/or music piped in) have agreements with BMI/ASCAP but ask to make sure when playing these big venues. And if you are playing these big venues and are getting $5000.00 a gig get a lawyer now and get ALL the paper work together for your band.

#104830 by ryckykay86
Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:04 pm
fisherman bob wrote:Blue painters tape isn't sticky enough to hold down chords should your feet bump into them. Blue painters tape might work in certain situations but where you need something not to move it's duct tape all the way...

if you can't duct it f*** it

#106374 by 90 dB
Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:27 pm
"what is needed to play cover music in public venues?"

A strong stomach and a 30 amp circuit. :lol:

#110976 by Gigfin
Sun May 09, 2010 3:38 am
Mr. Phillips hits the nail on the head w/his response. Unfortunately sometimes Bar owners get pressured, don't like the idea of layin out the extra scratch n say the hell w/live music. I've experienced this before.

#111275 by Dan72
Tue May 11, 2010 6:33 pm
I agree with Phils list, even though I CAN relax on stage better after a smoke. Please don't criticize it, I'm not a drinker, and by smoke I meen the other stuff. Some ppl get beer muscles, I get weed muscles. :lol:

As to the question,practice,practice,practice. Even practice mock shows.

#113351 by Tronix
Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:24 pm
Dan72 wrote:I agree with Phils list, even though I CAN relax on stage better after a smoke. Please don't criticize it, I'm not a drinker, and by smoke I meen the other stuff. Some ppl get beer muscles, I get weed muscles. :lol:

As to the question,practice,practice,practice. Even practice mock shows.

amen fellow brother...it relaxes me and makes my performance much more enjoyable..if I am not stoned, I get jittery and my fingers get alittle sloppy, comes from both nerves and having naturally a very shaky nervous system.

#113365 by Starfish Scott
Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:11 pm
lol Believe me, I have tried it both ways.

You may think you are better after a smoke, you might even be for a little bit. But if you have to do 3 sets, try 1 shot of something hard and a glass of water.

The 1 shot will remove your nerves in about 3-5 minutes and the water is just better for your throat.

After you get through 3 tunes, you are golden if you are ready to do the job at hand. Then finish what you started.

You wanna get high/drunk, do it after you are done. You won't play your best with your senses dulled and the people that came to see you play want to see you at your absolute best.

ON THE OTHER HAND, if you are writing music ... all that goes out the window.

#119304 by Sathya
Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:29 am
If you'd asked two years ago, I would have said that the only reason for a cover band to exist is to make money and watch the crazy sh*t that goes down at weddings, and that's coming from someone who's been in one. Yeah, I admit it—the Ronnie Dobbs Band could "rock your corporate event" with hits from Coldplay to Heart. We were never meant to write our own material or go any further than holiday parties at local venues. I also got total sh*t for being in a cover band. It's a stigma. "You don't do any original music?" "Oh God, you have to sing 'Lights' by Journey?!" Looking back now, those were fun times, but the jokes and snarking also turned me into a snob. Tribute nights are one thing, but professional cover bands became a whole new cancer for me.

#119307 by philbymon
Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:11 am
There's definitely a place for cover bands, imho. They keep music alive better than radio, for one thing. They also keep many many ppl happy.

We can't all be writers & composers, but we can still play music.

I've done both, & I've come to the conclusion that it's best to do what you can do best.

#119557 by 90 dB
Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:07 pm
Sathya wrote:If you'd asked two years ago, I would have said that the only reason for a cover band to exist is to make money and watch the crazy sh*t that goes down at weddings, and that's coming from someone who's been in one. Yeah, I admit it—the Ronnie Dobbs Band could "rock your corporate event" with hits from Coldplay to Heart. We were never meant to write our own material or go any further than holiday parties at local venues. I also got total sh*t for being in a cover band. It's a stigma. "You don't do any original music?" "Oh God, you have to sing 'Lights' by Journey?!" Looking back now, those were fun times, but the jokes and snarking also turned me into a snob. Tribute nights are one thing, but professional cover bands became a whole new cancer for me.

It always amuses me how some “musicians” stigmatize cover bands as being mercenary. These same “Purists” would sell their own mothers for a record deal and a big advance. Are the people who are snarking working 4-5 nights a week playing their “originals”? Are they supporting their families on them?

Want to be a recording artist? Then move to NYC, L.A. Or Nashville and jump in the Big Pond, and compete with the best. Want to be a musician? Then play music wherever and whenever you can.

#119605 by gbheil
Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:52 pm
I have a lot of respect for musicians talented enough to cover a lot of other acts music.
But I have no interest in doing so myself.
Nor do I hold any delusions of getting " discovered " and having some big recording contract. It could happen or not.
I just want to play MY music.
Don't care if the crowd is two, two hundred, or two thousand.
I just want to play my music.
If wanting to express myself with my guitar puts me into some category in someone else opinions. Well that pretty irrelevant where I sit.

In that we are all probably a lot alike.
We do music for what we get out of it.

#125443 by ned towns
Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:46 am
I am a good blues song writer,I have my own songs.--blues
But when I preform people want to dance,so I do some Marvin Gaye.
Once Marvin told me he gets his grove from Jimmy Reed.
BB King's most commecial songs were uptempo blues.
People want to party sometime. You work for the people,sorry but that's
bussiness. Work for your self at home. So mix it up.
Ned Towns
Atlantic Records

#125448 by gbheil
Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:45 pm
I work for God Ned.

To each his own passion.

#125461 by RhythmMan
Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:33 pm
Good points, Ned.
Hey, Sans. That may be the case - 'working for God,' and all that, but that wasn't Ned's point; God doesn't pay his bills.
I think Ned's point was more along the lines of - if you don't give the people what THEY want, then maybe you wouldn't be as welcome.
And - a musicican who is not as welcome as the next musicican in line is out of a job, eh?
And there is ALWAYs someone willing to take your place on stage.