This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#112662 by ryckykay86
Thu May 27, 2010 3:50 pm
ok so my buddy(said drummer) and i have been playin together since high school so about 8 yrs now. we have a certain feel for eachother when we just jam and hes really the only drummer ive played with that i can just look at and he knows the change is coming BUT when it comes to songs ive written that are set in stone as far as structure he really just seems to play too slow, too fast, or just plain seems to solo throughout the whole thing and shows no continuity. for godsake youre a drummer your sole purpose is to keep the beat. hes really a great drummer when it comes to other ppls songs or just jamming around and id certainly give him an opportunity to show his chops but i really dont know how to tell him after all these yrs that sometimes he just plain sucks lol. im not tryin to ruin the friendship but hes not the type to take criticism lightly. for example, the guy is tone def, cant sing PERIOD, yet when he was doing a side project with another band and they let him know that he should just not open his mouth he said F you and just quit. now hes writing and recording his own songs on the side and they just plain suck. and i mean suck suck. the only redeeming quality is his drum play. maybe i should just be an a** about it considering he did steal a song of mine then butchered it by replacing my lyrics and trying to sing. my main prob is its hard to find drummers my age that dont play emo/screamo bukkake. what should i do?
Last edited by ryckykay86 on Fri May 28, 2010 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#112663 by jimmydanger
Thu May 27, 2010 4:00 pm
He's doing his own side project, right?. Do your own too - without him. Keep him as a 'friend jam'. Problem solved.

#112664 by Tronix
Thu May 27, 2010 4:01 pm
jimmydanger wrote:He's doing his own side project, right?. Do your own too - without him. Keep him as a 'friend jam'. Problem solved.

amen. what Jimmy said.

#112666 by ryckykay86
Thu May 27, 2010 4:04 pm
yea but then i have the problem of finding a compatible drummer. that and he expects me to play every friday and saturday and has like this whole master plan and schedule thought out. to keep him as just a jamming partner id have to actually tell him that. its lookin like theres no way around not breaking it down for in some form or another huh?

#112668 by Metal D
Thu May 27, 2010 4:28 pm
This is a tough one, and I've been through it all before. Around here...it's every bass player wants to be the frontman/singer, every drummer (for the most part) wants to sing or play guitar, ect. The easiest way to do it would be to tell him that you'll take care of the vocals and you're also gonna have to "direct" him with the beats. Hopefully he can take constructive criticism and you can dish it out in a pleasant manner. It may take you an hour to get a couple of passages done the way that you're after, but once you've got it...yep...you've got it.

#112675 by philbymon
Thu May 27, 2010 5:59 pm
I hate oversensitive ppl that are so insensitive to the needs of the music or other ppl.

I'm the jerk that'd tell it to him like it is & let the chips fall where they may, cuz I wouldn't be able to stand trying to work with someone who won't listen to what you want on your songs, & try to do it right.

He isn't worth your time.

Find someone who is.

#112679 by ryckykay86
Thu May 27, 2010 6:24 pm
lol dude i know exactly what ur talking about with the drummer wanting to be a guitarist. the guy im talkin about has been playin guitar and he insists sometimes on playing on some of my songs. the problem is he, as stated earlier, is tone deaf and has no concept of key whatsoever. its horrific some of the things he thinks sounds good. i can tolerate him playing rhythm but leave the leads to me lol sounds like if u were to slowly run over a cat(which i dont condone i love kikis) with a steamroller hahah

#112680 by ryckykay86
Thu May 27, 2010 6:30 pm
i agree completely, tho i never comprimise my style of play i always ask what the other parties are going for or what they would like when im working with different ppl. lol i just want a drummer that doesnt over complicate things and keeps a beat, like i said if ur good ill write things that will give u an opportunity to shine but u cant go on a blazing drum solo for 3 minutes and thinks its gonna fit the song...drummers first and in some instances only function is to keep the beat. sometimes less is more.

#112690 by Starfish Scott
Thu May 27, 2010 7:50 pm
lol Nothing worse than a tone deaf singer..

(Shoot the boot on him before his head grows any larger)

Sometimes it's no longer convenient to be friends with people that are irrational..

You can try being nice, but my experience says they will just sh*t on ya.

#112737 by Krul
Fri May 28, 2010 6:17 am
Tell him he can sing and play guitar if you can be the drummer...maybe he'll get the hint. :lol:

#112741 by ryckykay86
Fri May 28, 2010 12:33 pm
Kruliosis wrote:Tell him he can sing and play guitar if you can be the drummer...maybe he'll get the hint. :lol:

hahahahah dude thats brilliant

#112746 by Starfish Scott
Fri May 28, 2010 1:50 pm
Kruliosis wrote:Tell him he can sing and play guitar if you can be the drummer...maybe he'll get the hint. :lol:

2nd'd, THAT is brilliant!!!!!

lol seriously