This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#11201 by aristarcus
Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:53 pm
Good points by fisherman bob.

I agree with you too, BluesRockFunkJazz, except for one thing. That is what this thread is about. You have put your finger on what is probably the most important thing here. We are talking about psychological warfare. Specifically, the part music plays and has been playing in that.

The object in a psychological war is to remove positive vision for the future from your opponent. When this is accomplished your enemy defeats himself. The lack of positivity in the youth of music today reflects exactly this. Certainly the news media is a big factor. The church also fails today to offer anything positive to the youth. And television / film are your only other main sources of public inspiration - which are also up to no good these days.

The methods of creation in this "defeatism," however, are not so much inter-cultural or international as they are domestic. In other words, this battle is just a symptom of a much greater war that is not oriented across national lines, nor even across the ideological lines of freedom vs terror.

The greater war behind it all is, actually, much more one of classism, but not of any traditional form of classism, like that of past times in Europe. And it is not easy to recognize because of it's uniqueness in history. It is a classism that is international, and more over power than real estate, more over influence than money. It is the natural symptom of the end of expanse in international economic growth - when further advances (for the few) only come through new destruction. But the ultimate victory comes in taking out the sole superpower and replacing it with multipolar powers. It is not very hard to understand in principle. And seeing the principle makes the sides of the battle soon become more clear.

What we are talking about is what has actually long has been a rising world war upon which America must, will and does get pushed onto one exclusive side, simply because she is the standing superpower going into it. Democratic principle, capitalism, press, economics and traditional warfare are the 'big gun' weapons in this war, but psychology is the biggest one, by far. And especially as it pertains to the promotion of American self-defeatism.

The negativity in music you mention has only cropped up in the last several years, and I beleive, mostly out of the industrial 'zeitgeist' confederate with the decline of momentum earlier described and detailed in the work that is the subject of this thread. Were it that the vision in musical lyricism that dominated the industry just five years ago could be restored, in my opinion, the free world could once again gain the upper hand in the war here, in the long run. And the inalienable independence of music would be found to be most instrumental in that.

#11203 by RhythmMan
Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:35 pm
Your profile says you play drums, but nothing else.
No music posted, no musical influences . . .
Just curious . . .

#11204 by Irminsul
Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:49 pm
BluesRockFunkJazz wrote:For whatever the reason, I'm seeing an alarming number of young adults who seem to be ready to just lay down and die . . .

pffffffft....trendy self destructive nihilism. Put a pistol in their hand and watch them suddenly remember they had a date at the coffee shop.

They'll grow out of it.

#11207 by aristarcus
Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:27 pm
I haven't quit my day job, if that's what you mean. I only joined here last week. I have played a few horns and banjo too. My biggest music interest is with lyrics though. Particulary, the social value of lyrics that cuts across all music styles. And posting about that is what this thread is about.
#11222 by fisherman bob
Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:36 pm
Nearly 100% of the news we hear is negative. Talk radio is almost nothing but negative. All I ever hear about the candidates running for President is their bad points. Have any of them done anything worthwhile? Have any of them passed positive legislation? Helped turn around a bad problem in their state? Helped a state's economy? Improve ANYTHING? If our young people are exposed to almost nothing but negativity is it any wonder that they're ready to give up? Global warming, illegal immigration, Iraq, Al-Qaeda, nuclear proliferation, bird flu, mad cow disease, is there ANYTHING good happening out there to write some positive lyrics? I guess commentary and dissent have now truly combined to form dysentery. Later...your friendly and still optimistic neighborhood bluesman fisherman bob