This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

Have you seen the movie crossroads?

75%
25%
#10712 by mistermikev
Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:10 pm
Did you see this movie? Know of any other's like it?
"Sweet and Low down" was pretty close, but unfortunately woody allen had something to do with it so it ended up sucking overall.

Crossroads is a movie that for me hits on many levels.
There was good music throughout. Lots of good blues riffs, some cool classical moments...
An interesting story that is ultimately a metaphor for how you have to sort of "give up everything" to realize your potential as a musician... but the life thereafter seldom lives up to the expectations placed upon it...

-the reaching of that moment of dissillusioned despair that the musician you respected most is just another "user/pawn"
... it paints that picture well.

#10713 by Jampy
Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:19 pm
Wow, that was a great movie. I'll be looking for it tonight I am sure.

The only other movie I can think of is "The Comitments" which I love to, great music and a real "hit home" kinda feel.

If I think of more I'll be sure to add to the list

#10723 by Franny
Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:57 am
Dude...

#10724 by Koolin82
Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:18 am
An interesting bit of trivia about this movie. The studio brought in Steve Lukather, veteran of about a billion sessions and original member of Toto to teach Ralph Machio how to realistically fake his guitar playing. I can't remember who actually played the parts but it wasn't Ralph.

The final dual with the devil (Steve Vai) was awesome.

#10726 by JJW III
Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:57 am
If memory serves the guy playing Machios part was Rye Cooder. What cracked me up was that Machios playing wasn't even close to what was being played. At least from a guitar players stand point.

#10730 by Jampy
Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:11 pm
LOL, so true

But ti really didn't matter as we all knew he spent all his money on karate lessons and not guitar.

:P

#10731 by mistermikev
Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:00 pm
yes rye did all the blues parts for machio... but vai did the finale for machio... there was even a gtr mag issue about it. Not sure who did the part where he(machio) plays some classical (while he's auditioning at juliard).

#10739 by mistermikev
Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:30 pm
nice call on the classical at the begining.

#10742 by PhrAiLGuitarist
Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:48 pm
Great movie. Fortunately, I saw this movie before I became a guitarist and I remember thinking it looked just like Ralph Machio was playing those parts. Naturally, it doesn't look like it now but the fundamental motions he's doing match what the ear hears: Ascending runs, he's going up the neck/strings. Descending runs, he's doing down the neck/strings. Stagnant licks, such as the begining of Eugene's Trick Bag, he was staying right in place when he needed to. Personally, I think they achieved a LOT with a guy playing a guitar role who didn't play.

Everything you hear at the end when Steve Vai enters the picture is a product of Vai's compositions. Listen closely and you can hear where Vai is actually playing the Ralph Machio final solo in places with his fingers instead of a pick, just like they show at certain times when they pan over to Ralph's hand.

In being able to vividly recall what I thought when I first saw the movie before picking up a guitar and then analyzing the basic fundamentals of when to have Ralph ascend/descend, regardless of how wrong it may literally be, I think they achieved EXACTLY what they were going for and did an excellent job doing so.

BTW, I'm glad I didn't click this and have you referencing the Britney Spear's movie Crossroads. :wink: Only kidding.

-Stephen

#10751 by JJW III
Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:16 pm
MrMikeV wrote:nice call on the classical at the begining.

Only if they got it right. : :)

#10752 by mistermikev
Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:04 pm
do ya think ol rye dubbed in the bluesy ending?
:D
#10802 by Jacquee Rae
Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:04 pm
Hey All!
I don't play the guitar but this movie had a tremendous impact on me, not only because of the music, but the storyline. This has to be one of my ALL TIME FAVORITE MOVIES!! In fact, my sisters and I discuss it every once in a while and you are making me want to go BUY or RENT it. :)
I remember closing my eyes and just listening to the music!!
Great stuff. Sorry, got carried away there.
Have a Great day!
J*R

#10821 by mistermikev
Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:03 pm
phrail... I'd have to agree... while machio isn't fooling any hardcore guitarists... he does about as "good a job as I've ever seen" of someone who doesn't even play - fingersyncing to the music.

jackie... glad you liked it... there really is a good story there in the "metaphor" played out througout the movie. The things machio gives up along the way... the old man turning out to be misleading machio... the racial overtones at the bars they play, the redemption at the devils bar... It all speaks to the music industry of the time and how it really is impossible to stay true to yourself nowadays...
I'm not surprised at all that even people who don't play gtr, or aren't even musicians, see something interesting in that movie.

It's def in my top 20 list... hmm lets see...

braveheart, sunshine of the spotless mind, big fish, apocolypto, apocalypse now, I heart huckabees,
DEAD MAN... that remindes me... neil young does the soundtrack - starrs johnnie depp plus billibobthornton/iggypop... one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard... really good movie...
anywho
mv

#11009 by Gorfalamu
Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:00 am
The harmonica parts were by none other than Sonny Terry; it was his last recorded performance before he died. Though the movie seems to be about guitars, it does revolve around the harp player. As Otis Spahn noted, the harmonica is the mother of the band.

If you like Crossroads, you might want to check out "Black Snake Moan" in which Lawrence Fishburne does a credible job on guitar--he worked hard for the part and it shows. Charlie Musselwhite on harp is by itself reason to watch but there is much, much more.

Cheers,
Gorf