This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#105426 by Starfish Scott
Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:21 pm
I am trying to buy a simple 2 button foot switch with RCA ends for a fender amp, right?

Sounds easy right?

Wrong.

I figured I'd buy one off of eBay, right?

Wrong.

It seems like everyone one wants circa 50$ for this stupid foot switch + shipping and handling.

But the worst was, I found a cheap one. It was 20$, I figured I'd buy it when I read the fine print.

"S+H is 35$"

WTF>.. I bought a big, nasty Fender Bassman Ten Combo with 4x10 speakers and that was only 40$ for S+H.

BEWARE of eBay. Seems like it's a race to see how much $ they can squeeze out of you and then rape you on the S+H to further their dull point.

As an aside, I know someone that just sold an old jukebox for $4K and didn't take it out of his PAYPAL account quick enough.

A hacker got his info and removed his 4K.

Paypal is still "investigating" aka he's fuct for the $.

#105429 by ColorsFade
Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:26 pm
Ebay sellers have always used the S+H as a way of making money. It is a rare seller who will actually quote you real shipping prices.

I can understand why they do it - it's a business and they're trying to make money. But it does grate on me too...

#105439 by Starfish Scott
Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:40 pm
35$ for a 2 button foot switch?

what's that? like not even 5lbs? in a box not much bigger than cream cheese?

Get fuct! You wanna strip people for s+h? Then keep your over-priced, under utilized crap. May it collapse and fall on your genitals. lol

#105465 by gbheil
Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:28 pm
Why not just get RCA adapters ? Most foot switches are just simple TRS.

#105471 by RGMixProject
Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:43 pm
sanshouheil wrote:Why not just get RCA adapters ? Most foot switches are just simple TRS.

#105487 by mistermikev
Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:42 am
not that this excuses a $50 footpedal that is maybe $15 in parts...

hate to admit it but I've been tempted to do this as well, because ebay doesn't charge 8% of the shipping, so you price your item lower than what you'd really take for it and price your shipping up, this way you screw ebay a little bit for how much they are screwing you... ie $4 for insertion fee + 8% of your sale for what? they don't protect you if someone screws you, all they are giving you is a little server space that costs them zilch...

my point is it's not necc meant to screw the customer altho in this case it one could make that argument due to the $50 total price tag

afa the switch... wire it up yourself...

two rca jacks at radio shack -$4
two spdt or dpdt stomp switches -$2ea
radio shack plastic box -$4
don't believe the older ones even had led's altho you could certainly wire them up w em...

take an old rca cable... cut off one end and touch the wires to see what makes what turn on and off. voilla.

#105494 by gbheil
Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:38 am
Mike ... dude ... you could put Musician's Friend and a whole lot of other people out of business. :lol:

#105501 by mistermikev
Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:37 am
thanks sans... I try.
truth is we'd still need musicians friend for picks, strings and the occasional leopard striped gtr strap... can't live w/o that!

#105503 by PCola_Bill
Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:32 am
If you're going to make your own footswitch, avoid the Radioshack switches. They just won't hold up to the abuse. They are generally B grade stock from off manufacturers and aren't rated for very many cycles at all.

I speak from experience. Nothing more frustrating than having a footswitch flake out in a gig and getting the evil eye from every one of the band members.

Another option is the Hosa FSC-385

here's one for $12.32: http://www.avalive.com/Hosa-Cables/FSC- ... nt=FSC-385

I've used Hosa foot switches before and, bang for buck, they're not bad.

You will need to get a TRS to Stereo RCA adapter or just cut off the TRS plug (after metering it out so you know what the tip and ring are) and then splice in the stereo RCA cable.

#105507 by Starfish Scott
Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:20 am
hmm build it myself hmm?

very interesting.. I'll have to get some parts now just to see if something decent can be done.

#105513 by mistermikev
Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:09 pm
hmm, I didn't even know radio shack made stomp switches....
I get mine from pedalpartsplus.

the good news is that chnl switch and rev switch aren't going to be carrying any audio so... pretty much anything goes.

#105549 by Starfish Scott
Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:56 pm
I have to laugh, they amended his eBay S+H to 5$ and he included my email about it and played it off like I was mistaken that he wanted too much $ for shipping.

I love merchants, especially when you cook them correctly.