This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#9852 by mistermikev
Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:33 pm
love both their sig model gtrs too!
Nuno... that was a hot little strat style washburn put out and their dirt cheap too($400ish).
Freidman... love that neck thru jackson... but I'd have to up my insurance to be allowed to own one (way too pointy - you'll put yer eye out!).

Freidman is by far the better player IMO... racer x! love his solo work on hanger 18... awesome stuff.

I wonder if he still has that poodle stuck to his head tho...

#10169 by N1GHTM4R3GR33N
Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:54 pm
yeah i know friedmans insane after watching a live concert of theirs i was sitting there saying can that guy really play that fast and then i seen nuno and i was like he has got to have best filling riffs and licks ever.

#10285 by JJW III
Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:19 pm
I have not seen anywhere in this list unless I missed it a mention of Al Dimeola. How can anyone be a guitar player and not mention Al Dimeola? The guy is faster on an acoustic then 8 out of 10 on electrics. He is incredible. Let's also add John McLaughlin and Paco Delucia who is faster with his fingers then alot guys with picks. These guys not only play the guitar well but incorporate many aspects of playing that we don't even think about in the electric world

If not familair pick up Friday Night in San Fransisco and see what guys can do on acoustic guitars and then get back to me on who is good on electric. This is the album that if you listen to my playing influenced me on the fast scale runs and stuff I do. This album was a turning point for my playing and influenced me more then any rock album or player hands down.

#12182 by darockguitar1
Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:37 pm
There are many guitarists that are out there in the world. Just because they are not popular with the American public it does not mean that they are not as talented as others. For example, Strunz and Farah, amazing guitarists in the genre of World Music. Gotta give some credit to all musicians out there that love what music is all about.

#12191 by Vocals & Bass
Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:24 pm
xxestyxx wrote:There are many guitarists that are out there in the world. Just because they are not popular with the American public it does not mean that they are not as talented as others. For example, Strunz and Farah, amazing guitarists in the genre of World Music. Gotta give some credit to all musicians out there that love what music is all about.
I believe that you hit it perfect Bro. I will go out on a limb & suggest that possibly, One of the most all around talented & gifted guitarist could be / Unknown, Possibly dont even know how to play guitar. The gift of talent may be within one's self without knowing they have a gift. At the same time, They could be the best of the best.

#20556 by jmccabe
Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:17 am
A couple of notable examples (IMO) missing from this list are Matt Bellamy (Muse) and John McGeoch (RIP - Magazine, Siouxsie & The Banshees, The Armoury Show). Perhaps not the most technical guitarists of all time, but just brilliant at what they do.

#29671 by guitguy73
Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:18 am
In my personal opinion, everyone here should go check out Shawn Lane's work with Jonas Hellborg, as well as Mattias IA Eklundh's work with JH.
I think of IA as a mix between Jeff Beck and Buckethead: Weird, but super fluid.
Anyone remember Michael Hedges? That guy started this whole youtube revolution of acoustic players hitting their guitars, and while their stuff may be more technically challenging, it's just not as sincere as Michael's.
Everyone should listen to some later Meshuggah solos. Fredrik does things that don't seem reasonable, but the absurdity of highly modal, ethereal solos over percussive, atonal and highly syncopated rhythms works.
Jason Becker was probably the best straight-up "shredder", in my opinion.
Nothing is more "great" to me than being able to tell a guitarist after one note, or one pickslide or something. SRV and EVH are like that for me.
Anyway, I gots to go sleep.

#29784 by tbh1989
Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:53 pm
These are my top 5

Derek Trucks
John 5
Brian May
Joe Walsh
BUCKETHEAD!!!!!!!!!!!

:twisted: *rocks out to "Jowls"* :twisted:

#29922 by unibasser
Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:10 pm
i didnt read that endless list with a microscope but i think it failed to mention alot of great players. music should be listened to and enjoyed. i really hate it when people start rating and criticising. music is art and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.listen to saga's song compromise.the lyrics say it all! i do want to mention a few names that are worth a listen...Adrian Belew...Trevor Rabin....Rick Witkowski and Jim Griffiths of Crack the Sky...Michael Schenker....and of course you cant forget that one dude......you know?

#30648 by fisherman bob
Sat May 03, 2008 6:33 pm
"Greatest" lists are a joke, especially this dumbass list. Roy Buchanan number 90? Freddie King not even on the list (unless I missed his name)? Ask Eric Clapton where Freddie King should be on the list, I guarantee he would put him above himself. DId the people who composed this list ever actually LISTEN to the guitarists on the list, ALL the guitarists on the list? What was their criterion for rating the guitarists? I guess it just gives something for people to read and argue about. Later...

#33473 by Subdivisions1
Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:10 am
Jimi Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen were inovators, with brave new styles, but John Petrucci could mop the floor with them on a technical comparison. This is all time period related though. I thought nothing could top Hemispheres, fo me, until Images and Words came along by Dream Theater. But this doesn't mean I stopped liking Rush, or think any less of Lifeson, who is also on the list.

#128509 by HoyHoy
Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:43 pm
PhrAiLGuitarist wrote:
HoyHoy wrote:
Vesa wrote:
Django Reinhart...
That's where it starts for me, the rest,
well I could mix it up, too many to mention for a long list,
after him.

(look him up in search/or 'Youtube' video)

:wink: -Vesa.

I agree. Django was the best and influenced everyone after him.

See... now, what does that even mean, anyway? "Django...influenced everyone after him." What does that mean? Does that mean that Django influenced every single guitarist on this earth after he picked up and left his mark in music as a guitarist? Does that mean that we should say Django influenced everyone after him but the people who influenced Django don't matter? Do you see what I'm getting at? Yes, Django was amazing but he influenced everyone after him? In what manner? If you mean inspirational as far as his unbelievable talent to play what he played, first of all, and to do it with his disability, secondly, then yes, he was inspirational in those regards but if you mean that Django has a direct influence on all guitar playing that exists sans his time, then that is absurd. I mean, I know we all have favorites but good Lord, what a ridiculous statement!

I'm sorry if I come across as brash sometimes with these things but I just don't understand how in the world someone can comfortably have ONE favorite particular musician who stands above all else. I think it's both frustrating and fascinating.

I mean, it's like... yes, yes... Let's all thank Django for grunge! I'm sure Kurt Cobain knew who Django was. Oh, wait... or is it The Beatles who were the most influential? Django or The Beatles, Django or The Beatles, which one is it... DOH! We've been wrong this whole time! It's actually Mozart! Grunge is the direct product of jazz, classical and classic pop rock! :lol: This is what happens when people argue favorites. When meshed, the perspective just doesn't make any sense. I'm all for people having favorites but I think people could benefit from being objectional about their favorite. First of all, you're not going to get EXTREMELY pissed off when someone comes along and berates you for liking them and secondly, you'll be more apt to discover a new band who you could likely call your new favorite. We're all loyal to something but sometimes, it seems to be to a fault. I'm as such with music as a whole. Because I'm loyal to music as a whole, I'm not open to picking a favorite or most influential... But that's my cross to bear, I suppose. =)

-PhrAiLGuitarist

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#130940 by bundydude
Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:56 am
We've been through this before, several times. But, for the thrill of it, here goes...(There are some that are repeated for different purposes).

My all-time list, including past and present;

1. Jeff Loomis
2. Chris Broderick
3. Randy Rhoads
4. Vivian Campbell
5. James Murphy
6. Marty Friedman
7. Alex Skolnick
8. Richie Blackmore
9. Micheal Schenker
10. Yngwie J. Malmsteen
11. Eddie Van Halen
12. Stevie Ray Vaughan
13. Andres Segovia
14. B.B. King
15.Jeff Beck
16. Jimmy Page
17. Al Di Meola
18. Brian May
19. Kirk Hammett

And this is just a small list, in no particular order.

Not on my list, but I still consider them some of the greatest ever;

1. Django Reinhart
2. Chet Atkins
3. Brian Setzer
4. Carlos Santana

Underrated;

1. Gary Moore
2. Uli Jon Roth
3. Frank Zappa
4. Jake E. Lee
5. Cris Olivia
6. Alvin Lee
7. Neal Schon
8. Akira Takasaki
9. Lindsey Buckingham

Best guitarist for beginners to learn from;

1. Ace Frehley
2. Angus Young
3. Ted Nugent (To some degree)

As I said prior, this list could go on and on, if I really thought about it. These were just off of the top of my head.

#132115 by Mars Rover
Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:41 am
Neil Young.

#141150 by rockofelders
Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:08 pm
jimi henrix,jeff beck,joe bonamassa,eric johnson,joe satriani,