This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Let your thoughts be heard about the latest news and gossip in the music world.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#102661 by philbymon
Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:09 pm
I was watching Am Midol last night, & I made that very comment on several of the fem singers they showcased.

It amazed me that these ppl could get national attention while they lack this extremely important quality.

You must achieve an emotional connection with your song as a singer OR as a musician. If you're just going through the motions, your audience will invariably be able to tell.

#102695 by RhythmMan
Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:04 pm
It's really hard to understand what a lot of singers are singing.
It seems that many singers can't pronounce consonants . . .

#102857 by fisherman bob
Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:12 am
A lot of singers don't put enough force on the microphone. If you sing you've got to push air out of your speakers. Swallow the damn mic if you have to. People seem to be afraid of the mic, get ON IT AND SING DAMMIT!

#102859 by gbheil
Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:16 am
fisherman bob wrote:A lot of singers don't put enough force on the microphone. If you sing you've got to push air out of your speakers. Swallow the damn mic if you have to. People seem to be afraid of the mic, get ON IT AND SING DAMMIT!

I,m going to quote that to the boys next Thursday. :wink:

#102918 by RhythmMan
Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:33 pm
Yeah, thats ALSO true, Bob.
But - it doesn't matter HOW much air we push - most singers STILL don't pronounce the consonants, and so they are unintelligible.
We need to HEAR those "Ts," "S's," "Ls," "Fs" . . . et al.
. . . otherwise . . .
. . . just a bunch of pretty noises - but no message . . .

#102986 by fisherman bob
Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:23 am
RhythmMan wrote:Yeah, thats ALSO true, Bob.
But - it doesn't matter HOW much air we push - most singers STILL don't pronounce the consonants, and so they are unintelligible.
We need to HEAR those "Ts," "S's," "Ls," "Fs" . . . et al.
. . . otherwise . . .
. . . just a bunch of pretty noises - but no message . . .
Yeah, lack of enunciation, improper voice inflection etc. Sometimes people don't put enough treble on their vocals (too much midrange and even bass) and you literally can't hear the T', S's, etc. A lot of people have no idea how to properly use an equalizer on their PA. It also could be that people are singing through a crappy microphone also. If you're a singer the least you shold do is buy yourself a top-notch vocal mic and learn how to use a PA properly. And then PRACTICE singing...a lot until you're understood...every word....

#103020 by RhythmMan
Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:17 pm
Yeah, I think you're right about the mike and equalizer settings.
Not many singers use them.
I found that when I record with my Shure 58 (a standard mike), that I need to boost the treble a tad (2 - 3db) to break even and restore the actual presence. I don't touch the mid or bass settings.
But I don't think many singers do that. They tend to trust a flat setting all the time, thinking that flat is always best.
I don't believe that flat is always best, at all . . .
There are bass, mid and treble controls for a reason . . .
And sometimes "flat" sounds flat . . .

#103083 by gbheil
Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:08 am
We attempt to EQ the mics for the venue so that the vocalist talking voice sounds the most natural.
We get a lot of complements from our audience because they can understand what or vocalist are saying.
Must work.

#120548 by Sathya
Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:43 am
Well, I play guitar. and i can personally say this, If its for a girl and you've noticed things about her, name those things in a melodic way. Love is you. there is no right way. remember that.

#120551 by philbymon
Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:14 pm
Remember THIS, Shatya - we know who & what you are, ya spamminator!

Do NOT click on this guy's links - beware!

Funny...you were a drummer in another post...but then, you were 30 on your profile, & 16 in another post...you are not a real person, & I have reported your spam, bub.

#120917 by Chaeya
Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:57 pm
Other than being in a death metal band, a number of singers do sing correctly (some don't, true), but there are different factors which can affect the quality of the vocal (I'm agreeing with some already written above):

(a) the quality of the microphone. If a vocalist doesn't have a good mike, she could sound out words like a first grade teacher and it won't make a difference.

(b) crappy mix in the recording. I articulate very well (now hush! I know I don't have any songs up yet, they're coming), but with other noises and such in low budget recordings, many of my words get muffled. This is where the skill of a good sound engineer comes in, or mastering. Spending the extra dime to get your material mastered can help bring out the vocals.

(c) crappy live sound engineers. I can't tell you how many times I've been to live shows and you can tell that the sound engineer is a disgruntled guitar player because the guitars are way loud and I can't hear the singer. I've yelled at these guys to turn up the vocals on people (to their dismay - I don't care, do your job and do it well!)

(d) crappy speakers and crappy P.A. - nuff said.

So it isn't the singer's fault. I'm there to sing. I don't have time to work the board and sing, that's the sound engineer's job. I have to whack my husband a number of times (guitar player) because he's way loud and I'm screaming to be heard. We're not afraid of the mike, we know how to speak, and we aren't very technical.

Ha ha.

#121186 by philbymon
Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:35 pm
I dunno, Chaeya. It sounds like excuses to me - couldn't be the singer, cuz all this other stuff should be addressed first.

A really good singer makes crappy equipment sound good, like a good musician can make a child's toy guitar or drum or piano sing.

Bad sound men make everyone sound worse, I'll grant you, but they don't make you sing or play out of key or out of time.

I don't know any pro or amateur band that uses a mic of lesser quality than an SM57. If you can't use one of them, you're in the wrong biz, imho. If their mic IS that crappy, well, as a singer, you should probably have a mic of your own that you prefer, don't you think? Just as any other band member has his own instrument.

This is stuff I hear from far too many "singers."

They expect to show up after everything is set up, schmooze with the audience, get up on the stage & sing, & leave without breaking anything down, all while having the band provide even their frikken MIC, all while expecting equal (or better) pay.

Ska-ROOO dat!

If you're a band-member & a singer, you should:

a) have your own mic & cord (maybe even your own backup PA, even if it's just a small one),
b) help with the set up & break down of each & every performance, if you aren't using roadies
c) hold your own on stage, & look relaxed & competent doing it
d) be able to communicate your needs to anyone, including the sound man, without being a bossy or whiny or jerky person, smiling at the audience all the while (& NEVER yelling at anyone or being in any way derogatory on stage, or within earshot of any audience member!)
e) be able to sing on time & in key, whether or not you can hear yourself in the monitor mix.
f) be on time, warmed up, appropriately dressed, & ready to perform at least a 1/2 hour before the show
g) always look like the band is doing great, when performing, under nearly any circumstance
h) know all the words & arrangements to every song in the band's repertoire
i) be able to sing a lower harmony note off the cuff, if your voice isn't in good enough shape that night to hit those highs
j) thoroughly know your mic's dynamics, & be able to use them to your best advantage (yet another reason to HAVE YOUR OWN!)
k) take proper care of your voice at all times

If you can't do all the above, you need to work a little harder before you can call yourself a professional, imho. It isn't easy, but it's what separates the pro from the non-pro. This is the type of person who's a team player, & who actually works doing his/her part to make sure that the band is the very best it can be on any given night.

To hell with the frikken divas & wussies & such. Gimme a pro, so that my hard work isn't wasted.

*Disclaimer - I've never worked with or even met this person, but I'd like to!

#128412 by rich lovett
Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:56 pm
The biggest thing of any good singer is the clarity they give it is the general rule. Peace. This language sounds like heavy metal