This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#100240 by Jonny Deth
Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:41 pm
I've been using some pretty good PCI cards to record and have generally had excellent results but, I have experienced latency at times as well. I did some reading and found this is why so many musicians that do PC based recording use these dedicated audio capture devices that usually connect through USB, Firewire or sometimes are equipped with a PCI interface.

Can't beat the price I suppose since some are $25-$30 and simply have a couple sets of RCA's on them.

Since I"m a gadget junkie though, I tried a few of these I have floating around.

http://tiny.cc/5aOXG

Just your cheap basic USB sound card with 16 bit 48 Khz sampling.
The funny thing is, you can connect a few of them and each one is identified by your general recording software and serve as a 2 input source meaning multitrack recording!
Obviously you're not going to use these to build a reliable studio but it worked surprisingly well without latency. I've stacked 2 of them for 4 tracks of recording and without latency.
Just a cheap option for say the garage band kids that have 4-5 band members and need a dedicated track for each. This will give you studio grade results granted your PC can keep up with so many tracks.

I know it does get to the point that you need some heavy duty hardware when you start getting into 8+ track recording. Just for fun, I'm going to run 4 of these into a USB PCI interface and see if it can pull it off without latency.

My last contribution in this thread will be these larger modules with fiber optic interface. Considering what Behringer sells in the $25-$30 range which are the cheapest and most basic USB units being sold commercially, these are certainly worth the risk once you've compared.

http://tiny.cc/bCidb

Just under 15 bucks and it has the juice to run S/PDIF AKA a fiber optic chain. That means 24 bit 48 Khz analog conversion. Granted you have the hardware to connect to it. While they don't use RCA connectors like the Behringer units...they still look a lot higher quality. Comes with what looks like a nice thick USB cable too.
While I have some killer Behringer gear, I've also had some Behringer gear I wanted to kill. All the $50 and under USB interfaces sold commercially look pretty bad to me.

I'll give one of these Asian modules a go sooner or a later and share the results.

#100516 by Jonny Deth
Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:17 am
A heads up on the tiny cheap USB soundcards.

Running an instrument processor or dynamic cardioid mic direct into them, no problem and produced great recordings especially with my Zoom G2. Plugged my mixing board into it however and I get a whistle. The built in preamp of the USB card is having an impedance and voltage disagreement with the mixer.

Doesn't render it useless and surely I'll find a remedy but it's my thread sharing the information so clearly I need to be thorough 8)
For now, it limits the potential but if you can live with doing multi track with line direct or cardioid mics and EQ'ing it post with your software, it will still do multitrack for as many as you hook up to your PC.

#100796 by eseime
Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:00 pm
Great tips.

#101584 by Jonny Deth
Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:25 am
Turns out these new ones don't suffer the buffer issue, the sound is absolutely superb...granted that's what your feeding it :P