This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#87371 by yanidy
Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:20 am
FOR CLUB GIGS, W/C OF THE FOLLOWING IS THE BEST BASS AMP?

FENDER
AMPEG
BASSON
MARSHALL
GK
MARKIE
MESA BOOGIE

#87378 by yanidy
Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:51 am
FOR CLUB GIGS, W/C OF THE FOLLOWING IS THE BEST BASS AMP?

FENDER
AMPEG
BASSON
MARSHALL
GK
MARKIE

#87985 by DanS234
Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:30 pm
How much do you want to spend dude?

For me the ultimate rig for clubs etc (small gigs) would be a genz benz neo212T Cab and your choice of head as long as you have a DI on your box you can play anything with this. I use this cab with an old AH300 its a very good setup. I used to run a big Trace elliot 1048 and 115 setup, nice but not nice at 3am when you gotta get it out of the venue. You can't do that on your own. With this i can roll it on my own. I also heard that the Avatar 212T is good for the money.

Like I said it depends on your budget, but I have never been one for combos as they are generally hard to move around and easy to break. Although Mesa and Genz are doing some nice lightweight stuff (shuttle and walkabout) and you can split (head and cab) which is neat.

If you are on a budget go GK. For the money it is excellent and is ultra reliable and sounds good and its easy to dial in. As if you only have a few beans you won't have the money for a backup.

But for personal taste out of your list I would choose either Fender, GK or Markie. Check em all out. Ampeg is nice but it has a distinctive sound you either like it or not.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dan

#94313 by philbymon
Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:45 pm
Get them new & you'll be paying them off for the rest of your life
#96172 by fenderken
Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:34 pm
There's really no such thing as a BEST, however over my 40 years of playing pro and semi-pro, I have to say that the Edens are very good. (I have a couple). I love my SVT for most everything, but my Mark Bass 800RD, and 210 plus a 410 seems to be what I have been using the most lately. It kick ass and is feather light to haul. The Neo speakers work great. I play Classic Rock mostly, but I've worked a couple of blues, Jazz and even Country gigs with the Mark, and I love it. Ken
#100716 by HANDS OF TIME MUSIC
Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:00 pm
a SWR "BIG RED" or my personel choice:
Peavey "BAM 2-10" and when needed a Peavey 1-15H matching bottom used in the "sub" config.
#101434 by AirViking
Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:35 pm
yanidy wrote:FOR CLUB GIGS, W/C OF THE FOLLOWING IS THE BEST BASS AMP?

FENDER
AMPEG
BASSON
MARSHALL
GK
MARKIE
MESA BOOGIE

What a loaded question. Its whatever tone you like. For instance, I like bright clear tone (becuase I play solos in my music sometimes in duet with the lead guitarist), so i need full gear to support me. Strings, pickups, active electronics (hope i get an 18v soon), alum cone speakers, hybrid/tube head, speaker size (i use 10" only).
GK is what I use but I really like Ashdown too. Personally i dont like fender or the marshall line up for bass, but thats becuase they dont cater to my full range needs, like my excessive high and mid range.

Its all about your sound and what you like. Fender does 15" and 18" well, so does Ampeg, for 10", GK and Ashdown is what I would recommend. Mesa is too good for stage :) its a really good recording tool.

#101737 by Kopasetiks
Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:34 pm
Dan670844 wrote:How much do you want to spend dude?
Cheers

Dan

Well... not a lot to get a decent commited ska and reggae bass player whose only about 30 minutes drive away from a band with a deal, Dan ;)

#102071 by 335 Guy
Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:36 am
The Bag End S15-D has been around a long time. A small cube cab that weighs in at 44 lbs. A very musical speaker that can handle all the lows and highs and in between. At 103 db @ 1 watt, it is very efficient. One could even go with the S12-D for a little less weight but less efficient as well. Add the Genz-Benz Shuttle amp and you would have an extremely compact yet powerful and punchy bass rig. More than capable for most small to medium size rooms. The Bag End cabs do better backed up to a wall, due to their rear port. They are extremely well built cabs and priced accordingly. I've heard the Genz-Benz 2 x 12 with the Neo speakers and was not impressed. They did not sound very musical to my ears. They were light in weight however. But the Shuttle amps are quite nice.

#102398 by Arindam
Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:01 am
the genz benz shuttle combos have got it all covered- nice slap tone, fat reggae tones, clean jazz tones, and BIG sound in a tiny package that is a breeze to carry. like dan i'm a trace fan but gave up the 10x4 and 1x15 recently for a neox 212 cab. agreed combining the neox to the trace needs a bit of fiddling, but for most gigs now i use the shuttle 3.0 with a 10" extension- solid 300W that projects nicely.

plenty of other nice brands -esp. with the new class D amp and speaker magnet technology using neodymium (strangely, peavey have been using that in PA speakers for over a decade!)- like PJB, tc electronic and markbass- frankly, too expensive and in some cases even over-rated!

the GB does it for most of my gigs, and it takes a 6-string quite easily!! would also suggest buying direct from the GB dealer on ebay- much cheaper!! some internet-direct dealers may also do you a deal here.

amp

#107701 by basstracker
Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:43 pm
kustom groove bass.awsome amp for the money

#111775 by Jims69Camaro
Mon May 17, 2010 7:16 am
i had the most compliments when i traveled with the peavey mark IV head. the pre-amp out was a star with most sound board techs. i also used a peavey 215 speaker box, but it was not nearly clean enough. it probably would have been better with a 410 and a 115 combination.

#112075 by Tronix
Thu May 20, 2010 4:06 pm
I own a GK backline 600 and it's a sturdy reliable head, the direct in, has a hi freq hum, that is usually easily EQ-d out, and the tone is no Hartke or Ampeg, but for the money it's a great deal

I also bought the GK goldline 2x10 cab, and those speakers are pure garbage. I blew the voice coils in three sets in three months, and at that time, I was only playing blues and moderate rock, I NEVER over powered and they seemed to fail, randomly, I even sent it in to have the speakers replaced, and the speaker the factory sent me, that was supposedly new, was blown from the factory. I wouldn't own a GK cabinet if you gave it to me.

I now own a peavey TVX410 cab, and for the money, this thing is brutal, and handles far more power, with a much fuller sound than the GK it replaces.

My personal favs are:
Hartke
Ampeg
Mesa
Mark bass
Peavey

Avoid anything smaller than a 300watt, and avoid 2x10 or other small rigs for weight, you don't play bass so you can drag around a lightweight rig, it's not conducive to good bass reproduction anyway, also avoid the cheap stuff, distortion hides bad guitar tone many times, but bass is intended to be clean, and cheap under powered rigs will distort, and sound like bunk.