This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#97308 by D38
Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:51 pm
Calling all Marshall fans...I need to make some space and find a good Marshall combo that sounds classic...when I say classic I mean Plexi(ish). I've been tempted by various JMP combos and JCM 800s but I am really not sure without trying every single one of them. I also know nothing about JCM 900/2000s or other models.

I play mainly Telecasters and love that crisp, cutting, just breaking up tone. For extra gain I tend to whack on an overdrive so I don't need a massive rock monster necessarily.

Any advice or recommendations?

#97318 by gbheil
Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:56 pm
Check out the HAZE series on their website.

#97416 by Starfish Scott
Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:23 pm
No I have a HAZE, wanna buy it? It's awful.

If you can afford it, a pre jcm head is NIIIICE.
It's tone to die for.

If not, try for a jcm 800 1959. That's as close to a plexi you'll get without some trouble. I have one that's about screwed up, but it's ok for a non-master volume amp head.

You might get lucky and find a Marshall combo amp like a JTM..etc.

JCM 900's are awful. You have to like that sound to use it.

I am on a combo amp kick these days and if I had my way, I'd like to have an Ampeg VT-40 or similar. They'll do it all with a couple of key effects and I do mean DO IT ALL.

The dsl amps are ok. The tsl amps I dislike because the clean channel is really BAD.

The fellow from Queens of the Stone Age picked up on the VT-40 and now they are unfairly expensive and hard to get.

#97424 by Chris2203
Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:10 pm
I've always loved the JMP 2203 Mk II Master Volume's and JCM800 2203.
Pushed with a good OD and some Compression - wickedness!

#97578 by Starfish Scott
Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:49 pm
Yeah I have heard that the 2203 is really the specific head that most people refer to when they are looking for a "Marshall Head".

#98566 by Lizzy Janes Rescue
Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:56 pm
Check out a 2266C Vintage Modern combo. I have the 50W head with a 425A cabinet and love it. All you need is your guitar, a cable and the amp. It's perfect for that just breaking up vibe in low dyamic mode and does the heavier classic rock stuff in high dynamic mode. 800s are loud as hell and need pedals to get their grind and 900's are probably too fizzy sounding for what you are describing. The DSL is a great all around gigging amp but dosn't really give a plexi type tone. It's a harder more modern tone. The Vintage Modern is sort of a hot rodded JTM45. The KT66 tubes are softer sounding than EL34s and give really nice crisp cleans with your guitar turned down and a nice sweet crunch when you roll the volume up. It's one of Marshall's best in decades IMO. That's why a lot of famous guitar slingers are starting to use them.

#98569 by Iain Hamilton
Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:34 pm
Don't buy a friggin marshall!!!!!, if you are open to suggestions, ask, if not go and waste your dough with any of the suggestions....
#98584 by Krul
Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:02 am
D38 wrote:Calling all Marshall fans...I need to make some space and find a good Marshall combo that sounds classic...when I say classic I mean Plexi(ish). I've been tempted by various JMP combos and JCM 800s but I am really not sure without trying every single one of them. I also know nothing about JCM 900/2000s or other models.

I play mainly Telecasters and love that crisp, cutting, just breaking up tone. For extra gain I tend to whack on an overdrive so I don't need a massive rock monster necessarily.

Any advice or recommendations?

Good overdrive for a Fender? You might want to try out a Vox.

#98609 by Iain Hamilton
Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:40 am
ibanez tube screamer, awesome, but expensive :(
#100287 by Les1951
Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:17 pm
I'm using a 40 watt Haze combo and I totally love it. I use a blackstar HT dual and a BB Preamp in front of it, and it's able to do a wide variety of Marshall sounds, including plexi-ish tones. Also, I'm old and don't want to haul a heavy amp around.
You'll almost always put some kind of drive pedal in front of ANY amp, eventually, unless you're playing surf music, in which case you'll be using a fender.

I've owned several Marshalls, including a JCM800 when they were first introduced, and this is a GREAT combo for a GREAT price. I can't speak to the 15 watt Haze mini stack, never tried one.

All my other rigs have been literally collecting dust since I got the Haze.

#100336 by gbheil
Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:38 am
"Surf music" LOL

I love the way my amp sounds just like she is.
I am beginning to think maybe pedals are for bicycles.
I guess a lot depends on the type of music you play.
I like the sound I get. The band likes the sound I get.
So I really don't feel a need to chase any "classic" tones.

Part of me would like to tinker with the Haze mini stack.
But not enough to pay for one. :shock:

#100373 by jw123
Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:38 pm
Im a mesa fan myself, but the tone I go for with all my amps is JCM 800. I think with the right pedal or whatever you need you can get your tone out of just about anything. First you need to decide what tone you are after. Ive heard guys with Marshalls sound great and some sound like crap. Good Luck in your tone quest!

#102074 by 335 Guy
Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:09 am
For me, the best Marshall combo is the Marshall Model 1962 "Bluesbreaker". Of course, an original 1965 year would cost a fortune, but the reissues do a good job. 30 watts using KT66's ( 6L6's ) and tube rectified, along with the greenback speakers, it just serves up vintage Marshall tone.

#102646 by GhstDog97
Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:27 pm
Iain Hamilton wrote:Don't buy a friggin marshall!!!!!, if you are open to suggestions, ask, if not go and waste your dough with any of the suggestions....

Yeah, maybe a handwired boutique amp? If you have the money for a Marshall, it might be better spent at a custom amp boutique. You should be able to get exactly what you want out of a good boutique. You don't need the logo on the front. Someone else will have to recommend a good handwired amp shop because I don't have the money to test out such things. (or an all-tube Marshall either)

#102718 by MrDJ7878
Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:48 am
jcm 800 is the legendary marshall used by so many. the glam rock of the 80's, zakk wylde uses the 800. so does kerry king & the list could go on. Just about every rock or metal recording uses the jcm 800 or mesa boogie's triple rectifier those are the 2 best. Roland jc-120 is good for clean ballad type songs.If your only into blues or similiar, then a fender '65 twin reverb is the way to go. jcm800 & triple rectifier are the best all around amps for any style of music. Although line 6 is coming up in the world. cradle of filth & lacuna coil use them.