This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Talk with other musicians and industry professionals.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#69386 by philbymon
Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:17 pm
I'm in total agreement with Kramer on this. I would never pay to have anything published, & I would feel like I was cheating if I did.

I'm very skeptical about this sort of thing. This looks as bad as hiring ppl to find you a day job. I wouldn't do that, either.

#69401 by Kramerguy
Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:14 pm
They said the reason why is that any publisher that's even half decent and working for mainstream media outlets doesn't charge the artists. It's a contract deal, if the publisher can sell the art, both the artist and the publisher make money, based on the publisher's contract with the outlet. That's why the sought-after publishers are so picky about what artists they contract with.. they want to only offer quality to the outlets, and to maintain that status, or they won't get work in the future.

These fly-by-night publishing companies that charge the artists, KNOW they can't sell the material, not because the material doesn't have potential, but because they don't have the reputation or clout to even talk to the music directors of the various media outlets, so they just charge the artists directly, make their money, and get nothing much published except to 3rd rate cable channels and college music stations for pennies or free, seriously devaluing the art itself, and ultimately ripping off the artists.
#69949 by 4perkussion
Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:20 pm
You should ask for some references such as songs or songwriters who have utilized this service successfully and follow-up to verify these claims. If they do actually solicite songs to artists (a song slinger), it could save you alot of plane fares and gas money than trying to do it yourself and could be woth $100 to have someone else do so, while you can concentrate on doing what you do. Write songs. Their group should have access to more artists, labels, and publishers than you are aware. You are smart to be reluctant. Investigate more to be sure they are doing more than just taking your money, as some organizations do nothing more. On the other hand, it is easy to be callused and pass on an opportunity to have your song(s) distributed but that means you have to go out and do it yourself. Many songwriters are much too busy writing songs to do that kind of leg work.

#70844 by Hayden King
Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:12 am
I've had these offer's too. IMO if they feel that material has value they would offer a "letter of intent" giving them the right to "shop" the material.
If they have an interested party or a good list of contact's and believe it worth the time, they wouldn't be concerned with a mere $100.

www.myspace.com/blunderingeye
www.myspace.com/445175001
http://ezfolk.com/audio/bands/6039/

"It is what it is"

-

#70880 by BobbyAlan
Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:19 pm
Well guys, I contacted Hittmusicgroup and told them I wasn't interested. They still send me contact info and want to know if I am still interested in joining their orginization. I agree with you all, No Money up front to use your songs. I hope all you younger writers/musicians learned something from this. There's alot of sharks out there just trying to get into your wallet.
Thanks for the advice guys, your the best...
Bobby Alan.....

#91842 by lespauldc
Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:37 pm
STB had someone contact us wanting friendship on myspace and to manage our band. They too wanted a fee up front. I emailed them back and posted a blog using their request on myspace warning others to be careful of the upfront money deals. I also posted my response to them. The funny thing was they emailed me back boiling mad that I would suggest they were anything but pure as the driven snow. I sent a reply to not email me anymore with request that I had given all contact info to my lawyer. Never heard from them again(LOL). Work for yourself folks no one believes in you more than you and you'll always get your monies worth