This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Talk with other musicians and industry professionals.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

let my girl friend sing

13%
50%
38%
#59972 by darrylks
Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:33 am
i'm thinking about letting my girl friend sing in my band. We argue enough already but she can really sing well. She's watching me type this post so i must be real carefull of what i say. I know many of you have been in this situation :lol:

#59988 by philbymon
Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:51 pm
Biggest problem - when you argue it spills over into the band. Don't do it unless you can keep the personal stuff separate, & I"m doubting that you can, from what you said.

Women break up acts as often as drugs & alcohol. If you can handle all 3 well, you're WAY ahead of me...er...the game.

#59994 by RhythmMan
Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:45 pm
I didn't vote, because my option wasn't listed.
My option was: find another girlfriend (whether she can sing or not).
:)
If you are already arguing, here's what's probably going to happen.
First off, you can count on the fact that you will break up.
She will find some guy who admires her, and - you're out. Our, maybe the other way around.
You're going to want to play one way, and she's going to want you to play a different way.
She's going to want to sing one way, and you're going to want her to sing another way.
She's going to ask you to play songs that you hate.
You're going to ask her to sing songs she doesn't want to sing.
Why do you want to do this, again?

#60046 by BobbyAlan
Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:28 pm
Hey Darr, was that your girlfriend singing, 'The day and the life of a fool'?If so, she has a very nice voice. You have to seperate your prioritys. Music is a very strong selfish love in itself. If you two are spatting now you will probably do it on stage, which by the way is a no, no. Get my drift.
Listened to your tunes and enjoyed them very much. You have a lot of talent, don't cloud it up with personal problems....
Bobby Alan

#60053 by AzStix4570
Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:33 pm
Quite simply...I never mix personal relationships with the band. :roll:

The reasons have already been adequately outlined. Nuff said! :wink:

#60083 by Starfish Scott
Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:48 am
Unless you want to be a SADE cover band, get a male././././

Otherwise you'll be doing SMOOTH OPERATOR until it spills forth from your mouth as well as hers.

#60089 by gbheil
Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:00 am
Just "No" was not a choice.
Why ask us. If you cant tell a woman yes or no emphaticly your screwed for life anyway.
Wife of many years maybe. Girlfriend "no".
When it comes to any life decisions "girlfriends" should be seen and not heard.

#60120 by Kramerguy
Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:29 pm
the band would never, ever, ever, ever, ever survive. Everyone here is 1000% correct.

Let her sing and expect all the above headaches and then add ten more headaches you never saw coming.

Being that shes watching over your shoulder on this one, she can read this:

Hey girl -
If you really want to sing in a band, go for it. Go to open mic nights and see how you stack up, network with people, audition for a few bands, and yes, you should audition for at least 5 different bands because you don't have enough experience to know right away which ones are right for you. Leave you BF at home too, the yoko effect works both ways.

Now.. if you can make it 6 months playing with a band and attending open mics, and haven't given up, and also haven't slept with any of your band-mates, or the hordes of guys who will shower you with compliments (and anything else they can), well then, congrats, you got what it takes to be in a band and maintain a stable relationship.

Good luck.

#60161 by philbymon
Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:37 pm
Kramer said it better than I could.

I would NEVER work with my wife in a band...or on a construction site...or in an office...or in the yard...the garden....the basement...

#60165 by The Hunter
Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:46 pm
I can garantee..
Either this will be extremely fulfilling and it'll be the best relationship builder ever. :D

Or.

It will end in ball crushing, tear jerking, dick shriveling disaster... :cry:

#60169 by gbheil
Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:05 am
I vote for #2. :lol:
#60421 by darrylks
Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:15 pm
I listened to all of your comments and agree. she can get her own band. when we work on music she calls me Ike Turner already. Oh, Sade's band is serious. the're called "sweet back." they put out an album a few years ago that was extremly good. every cut was great. You don't find alot of musicians puting out quality work like them. Most of them put to many fill in songs on their CD.

Back to my girlfriend i let her sing with me occasionally, I can handle a short stay in hell. I'll feature her when those moments when the other lead musicians don't show and it's just me and a drummer. She would work well in a three piece setting.

BOBBY ALLEN
Yea, that's her. My girl friend loves your music and thanks you for your compliment. Your voice reminds me of Willie Nelson. For some reason that "just picking" reminds me of eating corn on the cob and crabs on a prefict summer's day . I can't figure out why. It must be one of those 70's flash back..... You know what i'm talking about?

THANKS ALL!!!

#60517 by BobbyAlan
Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:09 pm
Hey Darr, thank you for the compliment. It's alway's nice to hear something nice that someone has enjoyed. By the way, I take it as a very dear compliment thinking I sound like Willie Nelson. He's a Country Icon to me. Heck of a song writer. And by the way, eating corn on the cob and crabs on a perfect summer day, sound like a song. On that note, keep on pickin', singin' and grinnin' and remember, have fun.......Also, I'm still waiting for that flashback....lol
Bobby

#60539 by fisherman bob
Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:36 am
I don't allow women in my band. One good reason I play in a band is to GET AWAY FROM WOMEN. Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE women. They can come to rehearsal, gigs, etc. But they"re NOT playing or singing in my band. I say KEEP your girlfriend out of the band. She's obviously got problems with you playing in a band. Maybe you're not paying enough attention to her. Well my friend there's certain things a man has to do. One of them is play in a band. She either "lets" you do it, or she hits the road.