Page 1 of 3

what is needed to play cover music in public venues?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:02 pm
by darrylks
my band has been togather for a few years. We generally play private parties so there is not big deal with what we play. Now some local lounges and bars want us to play for them. most for our play list is cover music. Are there limitations we need to be aware of. Are there restriction to what we play in public. What do we need to have (paper wise) to play cover music in a public venue?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:21 pm
by Andragon
-.- I misread the question.. sigh.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:31 am
by AzStix4570
You don't need anything "on paper" or otherwise to perform someone else's music live.

The only time you have to get permission and pay royalties, is if you want to record and sell someone else's material.

Rock on! :wink:


PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:25 am
by darrylks
thanks that's what i thought. i just was not sure.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:55 pm
by philbymon
You need

#1 material - enough to last 4-5 solid hours of playing

#2 equipment that can take the beating the road stuff takes

#3 the audacity to get on stage in front of ppl you don't know

#4 the knowledge to change on the fly if you're too loud, or your material isn't working for the ppl

#5 extra everything in case something breaks down, or the ability to fix things on the fly

#6 to look like you're having the time of your life even when you feel like poop or you're mad at your singer

#7 to be on time (which means EARLY for the gig so you can handle #5 above) & in tune

#8 to interact with the audience whenever possible in a positive way

#9 to look & to act like a pro

I think that's about it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:31 pm
by RhythmMan
Mmmm . . .
Add to that: you need to get paid.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:33 pm
by BobbyAlan
don't forget the bar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:05 am
by philbymon
Um...I should have said 4 - 5 hours of REHEARSED material!

Also, as far as the bar tab goes, I ALWAYS tip. It keeps the help on your side. Also, learn the names of the bartenders & laud them to everyone & encourage others to tip as well.

If you need papers, you should quit smokin' that stuff before you go on.

Other papers you might need, in some instances, are the contracts with the establishments. I don't use them, as a rule, but some ppl feel better with them.

It's the bar's duty to pay the fees to ASCAP or BMI, so you needn't worry about that. Cover anything you want, even a rival band's original, if you can do it better than they do.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:19 pm
by Whitesel
Don't forget rolls of Duct tape ......but the blue painters tape works better and doesn't get all that sticky crap on your cables.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:49 am
by fisherman bob
Blue painters tape isn't sticky enough to hold down chords should your feet bump into them. Blue painters tape might work in certain situations but where you need something not to move it's duct tape all the way...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:19 pm
by sanshouheil
1: Cover music.
2: A venue.

Sorry, feeling kinda chinky today. :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:34 pm
by Starfish Scott
Who actually drinks while they play?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:49 am
by philbymon
Depends on the venue, Cap, but I usually have a beer a set. Same with most ppl I play with, unless they're teetotallers like the last cpl drummers I worked with.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:35 pm
by Starfish Scott
"Scared to drink while it's going on, 'cause it gets sloppy"...>>>right here

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:25 am
by Kevindrummer
Be sure you have a great soundman and have a good sound check at least 1 hr before the show ,
oh and doing covers , be sure that you have rehersed at least each song 100 times before performing live
its ok to have a drink or two but just limit it to that , you can party after the gig
and be sure while you in the managers office getting the money for the night , to ask for another spot on the calendar