This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Talk with other musicians and industry professionals.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#58053 by TJS 1
Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:52 pm
The music industry today is crazy. I have been a drummer since the age of 7. I was taught by my father who was a drummer in the Army, and a big band drummer (not major names) but really good. I never learned how to read music but have a great ear. I played all over the East Coast as a young guy then did the family thing.

Here is the freaking deal. I want to play again but finding musicians where I live is crazy. I went on myspace one day and a so called female musician was looking for a drummer. I responded to the ad and was willing to travel to audition. Here was the response edited, (sorry but due to our record company putting an age limit on who we hire you are a little to old). What the %$@! is that.

You pay your dues, work hard to someday make it, and now you have to be young and good looking to be in a band. What about the music, the writing, the hard work to even go and record, and to make sure the music you put out is what you feel is the best. Well if it is about looking good then keep the music business the way it is. I will continue to struggle to make it my way even if I am older, a little bald, but I got something the record company's don't have, Passion, Heart, Good Work Ethics, and the backbone to say what I feel, instead of letting a so called artist doing there dirty work.

Even the music award shows can't get it right. They put rock mixed with pop, pop crossover with what ever. GET IT RIGHT.

#58072 by RhythmMan
Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:27 pm
You are judging the entire music industry, comprised of millions of individuals, record companies, groups, managers et. al. . . . . based on ONE reponse?
If you said that you were turned down the last 25 times just because of your age, then I'd listen to you, man . . .
Hey, yeah, it's true there's a general trend towards youth. Of course - what do you expect? Hell, most of the target audience is young.
But it's also true that exceptions will be made for exceptional people.
God - I've got a folder of over 150 musicians I've contacted (or who have contacted me) in the last 4 years alone.
Because I'm not performining with 150 musicians, it's pretty obvious that you need to do a LOT of looking to find someone compatible.
Hell, I've turned down about 9 band offers in the last 3-4 years, and I'm 55.
And you CAN hook up with national talent - if you have what it takes.
And - 'what it takes' is more than looking pretty or just knowing how to play.
Get real . . . keep looking.

#58123 by philbymon
Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:28 pm
Wasn't Randy California's father or step-dad the drummer in Spirit?

Yeah - one bad response does not a trend make, TJS. I know it's fun to rant & I do it all the time, but life ain't really all that bad, It still beats the hell outta the alternative, at least for me.

Keep lookin'. Keep playin'.

It's harder for a drummer, perhaps, cuz you can't do those acoustic open mics, but there's other places to look.

Try the colleges, music stores, theaters, & amp repairmen. Network with as many as you can & get your name & desires out there.

Good luck.

#58131 by Hayden King
Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:58 pm
I understand your frustration. It is very common to see age restrictions in adds for bands. The record co's are guilty of promoting the act more so than the material. Why get upset because narrow minded people turned you down. Do you really want to play with narrow minds?

As everyone said so far... KEEP LOOKING!

www.myspace.com/blunderingeye
www.myspace.com/445175001
http://ezfolk.com/audio/bands/6039/
http://bandmix.com/hayden-king/
hayden_king2000 on yahoo messenger

"be true to thine own self"

#58132 by TJS 1
Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:09 pm
It was not just one company and or the industry. Maybe I was just ranting but you have to agree the music business is not the same. I have played with and have turned down musicians also. Just tired of same old same old. Like the commercial said with the great Alice Cooper, people approach him everything else and he says yeah but let me hear the music. I try not to offend anyone and that is not my intention. Just want to play write and record.

#58142 by RhythmMan
Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:01 pm
Umm - I just re-read my post, and it sounded like I was ranting, too.
Sorry 'bout that . . .
I'm actually on your side, TJS.
. . . just wanted to point out that there are opportunities.
If you haven't found what you're looking for - maybe you might try looking in different places . . .

#58211 by SweetMadness
Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:48 am
I've had a few experiences like that too. I was offered a position in a signed band until the question came up, the dreaded "How old are you?". Well, after they got their answer, the response was that the record company wanted someone 30 or under. He was embarrassed to have to tell me and I actually felt bad for the guy. I don't even want to put my age in my ads anymore because I want them to hear me first before they form an opinion. But sometimes it doesn't matter how good you are and it isn't just age. Try being a woman. Then age really takes center stage as well as looks, weight, etc. Lately I've been spending time on karaoke sites just to sing and get exposure. I just wanna rock, your never too old for that! Just a little venting of my own...but it's all cool as long as I have music in my life, no one can take that away from you. I do understand and relate to what you're saying, however...:)

http://www.myflashfetish.com/user-playl ... d=18061899

#58215 by fisherman bob
Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:31 am
"They won't put me on MTV cause I can't show off my belly button." "They won't put me on the VH1 cause I can't synchronize my moves." "Music ain't music no more if you don't have a song with a video. You can write music until you die but if you cannot dance you will not fly" Quotes from a song I read somewhere. Wait a minute, I think I wrote that. Too bad you won't see me on MTV or VH1 any time soon. What a shame...

#58226 by Hayden King
Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:29 am
damn Bob, you mean your not going to have a serious song w/a ridiculous video that has nothing to do w/the song on MTV or VH!?

well if you wont do it, I wont either!
and that's final!!!

www.myspace.com/blunderingeye
www.myspace.com/445175001
http://ezfolk.com/audio/bands/6039/
http://bandmix.com/hayden-king/
hayden_king2000 on yahoo messenger

"I have a singing dog, but she's a bitch"

#58281 by fisherman bob
Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:13 am
There's only one word that comes to my mind when viewing music videos: INANE.

#58290 by repressthecadence
Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:00 am
I think there's an art to that, too, and videos can be pretty powerful when they actually make sense. Too bad you don't tend to see that much anymore, and almost never on TV. Another example of why television is rot.

#59393 by BobbyAlan
Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:33 am
Hey TJS, read your posts and have to tell you what the industry does now is not surprising. I am probably one of the oldest musicians here on this site and all I can tell you is ,'don't let their small minds get in the way of your talent and musical creativity and inspirations'. Don't think of yourself as getting older, think of yourself as getting seasoned. Hang in there buddy, keep playing and looking. If they think that way, you probably wouldn't enjoy working with them anyway......After all, they are only children....

#59406 by gbheil
Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:38 pm
Children hahaha yea damn kids :lol:

Dance? Well no but I do jump around a lot. :lol:

#59428 by BobbyAlan
Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:11 pm
That's right Sans, children should be seen and not heard...lol
I wonder if that's what they thought about me when I had my first electric guitar and amp. I remember now what my mom use to say, ' Bobby, turn down that damn guitar'....lol

#61639 by Metalrock3030150
Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:42 am
fisherman bob wrote:"They won't put me on MTV cause I can't show off my belly button." "They won't put me on the VH1 cause I can't synchronize my moves." "Music ain't music no more if you don't have a song with a video. You can write music until you die but if you cannot dance you will not fly" Quotes from a song I read somewhere. Wait a minute, I think I wrote that. Too bad you won't see me on MTV or VH1 any time soon. What a shame...

WOW are there really vidios on those channels? I haven't seen that in years.