This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Talk with other musicians and industry professionals.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

How do you like the songs (http://www.myspace.com/danielvolgan)?

N/A
N/A
25%
N/A
75%
#52430 by danielvolgan
Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:47 pm
Ok, I am a new composer/musician and I have some demos recorded (check here on bandmix or http://www.myspace.com/danielvolgan). Would appreciate any advice of how to promote the songs at low cost. Already have them on youtube, Myxer (ringtones) and Tunecore.

Besides that, I would also greatly appreciate any feedback on the songs (melody, lyrics) so I know how to proceed.

Thank you very much :D

If you don't mind please fill the short poll

#52480 by philbymon
Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:53 am
Listened to the 1st & the last. They're too close to each other in overall style to tell them apart.

I really don't like lyrics that have lines in them like "your sexy touch," for some reason. You could definitely word that thought better. The little I heard sounds like some old early '60's poppy/folky stuff that couldn't have made it back then. I'd really work on making my stuff a bit more unique, more exciting, & less adolescent in lyrical content. Strip down your lyric so your song can say the same thing with fewer words, yet still give a feel or an image when one hears it. If you must say things straight out like you seem to want to, don't use phrasing that sounds like a love-struck teenager from the '50's. Try to be a bit more clever with both your ideas & your word choices.

The melodies are okay, as far as they go. they seem a little over-used & sing-songish. I'd like to hear them move away from the same old chord progressions. They are pretty okay for someone just starting out, but nothing that I'd encourage anyone to try to sell without much better productions, arrangements, & tweaking.

The productions on these two selections never veer from straight-forward acoustic strumming with the same effects on both songs, that has been done so many times that it makes them tedious. The songs tend to drag on because of this. The key sounds that your using sound like poppy '60's stuff, too. Remove them, & update your overall sound, unless you're going for the Chris Isaac kinda throwback sound. Even if this is the case, however, you need to make your stuff more unique & exciting for the listener. Break up the thing into differing sections, with a new instrument sneaking in occasionally, or a new backup vocal at a key point in the thing, to emphasize your lyric. Use the tried & true method of building your song as it progresses, & putting in a bridge that's different from the main theme.

I know this sounds like I'm really slamming you, but it just didn't make it for me at all, & I figure you need to know why. I gave you two chances to wow me.

On the plus side, you have a good voice, and a good vocal range. I envy it. You need to have better material, though.
#52514 by danielvolgan
Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:16 pm
philbymon,

Thank you for the feedback. It really helps. And you are right that the songs are simple and production not very professional but, not as an excuse, just explaining, those are my very first compositions, and I just sing (as you noticed) and couldn't find a band to play with me so... I did it all by myself on my computer. I know basic chords on acoustic guitar, never touched a real drum but used a software on my computer, and an old keyboard to add some midi sounds. Uff, was not easy. Do believe that the same songs with a real band and professional arrangement would have a different effect. If you have a chance please hear the other ones (I hate my job, RIP and Broken nest) which might have some more variation. Anyway, I still have a few songs to record and will definitely use your advice. Thanks again.

Cheers,
Daniel

#52519 by gbheil
Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:31 pm
You have done well under the conditions you outlined for Phil.
It is all too Bobby Daren-ish for my rockin taste. You do seem to sing well. Thanks for posting.

#52521 by gbheil
Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:33 pm
P.S.

I like the way you set up the simple poll question.

#52531 by danielvolgan
Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:58 pm
sanshouheil,

You know, I did try to make the songs heavier ("Broken nest" was the closest I could get so far) but it just didn't happen, maybe because I like very melodic songs to explore the voice or simply because I don't know enough music yet to do it. I'll keep working on it though, one day, one day...

Cheers

#52551 by gbheil
Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:32 pm
Dont change what yer doing just for a fret licker like me dude.
We each got to do "our thing". :D
#52611 by danielvolgan
Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:04 am
Just as curiosity, in terms of voice I have some recordings in cover songs, still recorded in my computer (singing kind of shy) but w karaoke originals (Scorpions, Queen, Aerosmith), that contrasts with my originals. Just wish I could do that type of music...
Let me know what you think.

http://www.volgan.com/songs2/

Peace

#52710 by gbheil
Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:42 am
I dont really think a "voice" is wrong or right for any given genre'.
If you can feel the music as you sing, and practice consistantly. You can sing what ever you want.
The voice is the vocalist instrument. (duhh, stay with me here ok)
Is my Les Paul only good for God Rock? No it is only a tool.
Create what you love, makes life much easier.
#52737 by danielvolgan
Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:36 am
Yes sir :D Makes sense. Thanks for all advice. I have other songs on the making and will keep moving forward.

Cheers

#52738 by gbheil
Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:46 am
Good deal.
I will be looking foreward to hearing more from you Daniel.
Being a guitarist for me is a creative outlet as well as an emotional one.
I love to write and play music that moves me emotionaly. I get a real intense look on my face when I'm in the groove. I look like I am mad as hell. :shock: Kinda of works like an alter ego of the Band I guess.
I exorcise my personal demons with rock music. Thats why there are in such good shape. :wink:

#52969 by qtrtilldawn
Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:50 am
I ought to work for them for all the ad's I give them, but "CD Baby" is a good place to check out. [I don't do links in forums]. Google them.

They are not the Platinum album seller we all wish for, but it is a great place to start. Get a couple CD's together, and they will put it online, and slap some retailers with them as well.

They also have some cool services available. But for the most part, you can be online for under $50.00.

And if your bored, tell them where you heard about them. They may come up with their hardest worker with no pay award!

Best of luck, Ron
#52978 by danielvolgan
Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:50 am
Ron,

Will check that out. I have my songs on Tunecore. Seems to be very good, distributing songs on major web stores (itunes, amazon, etc).

Also created ringtones on www.myxer.com.

Cheers

#57424 by samsahra
Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:15 pm
I'm not trying to thread-jack here and apologize if I come off that way...I just gotta say philbymon, that was a great reply and I would love to hear your (or anyone elses) opinion on my tracks.

http://www.myspace.com/samsahra

#57428 by philbymon
Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:07 pm
samsahra - yeah, it would have been better to open your own thread for criticisms, but I'll let it go this once...LOL

Okay, here goes...

I like the dynamics of the song you have posted in your profile. It does change a bit, but that makes it exciting to listen to. I'm not a fan of the screamo growley stuff, but you fit it in seamlessly after some singing, & it just fits well, imho. It might be a bit long, but the changes seem to make that okay for me.

The lyrics aren't coming through for me well, but I understand that you're looking for a singer. The guy you are using now isn't the best voice for this song. The melody is good, though, & yeah, I'd like a different lead singer up until the growley part. Someone a lot more melodic, with a better overall tone.

Your musicianship seems to be quite good. Tight band you have there.

I'm not really into this style, but from what I've heard & seen in your vids, you have a great energy both on stage & in the studio. Lots of movement. Very entertaining.

One thing I would like to hear, though, is more versatility. A quick break into something out of context from the screamo. This in-your-face style is good as far as it goes, but if that's all there is, it seems to be lacking. Your 1st tune has that, with the changes as it grows into growliness, but your 2 posted vids don't. (Although I have to admit I didn't really listen all the way through. The growley stuff just gets to me after a bit. Sorry about that.)

I think, if this is the genre you're intent on playing in, that you need a singer AND a growler, mostly because I don't see how 1 person can possibly do both well.

Obviously, I'm not the best person to put a value on your music, having heard only maybe 4 of your influences. I'd suggest posting a request for critique over on the general forum.

I like your singer checklist, too. It might seem a bit off-putting to some ppl, though. I noticed that you don't list your equipment, & wonder why, but it doesn't seem overpoweringly important.

Good luck. Thanks for asking, & all. Hope I helped in some fashion.