This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Talk with other musicians and industry professionals.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#51966 by i-am-liam
Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:14 pm
i want cheap way of recording but dont want to buy 8 track and stuff.
i got a laptop and would like to use that , my friend told me i should just get a mixer and some sorta programe but i dont really have a clue what to do. as i dont really know much about computers.
please give me a message. liam

#52518 by BobbyAlan
Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:31 pm
Hey Liam,
Depends on how cheap you want it. I use a Boss BR-900, it's a 8 channel digital mixer with a built in CD recorder and player. It goes for about $400 american. I also have a Mackie DFX 12 Mixing board. Paid $229 american. It has built in effects. So does the Boss-900. You would also need some headphones. Get good ones. That's all you need....
Hope this helps.
I don't know if you guys have EBay there, but thats a good place to get equippment. That's Ebay.com
Hope this helps
Bobby

#52528 by gbheil
Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:45 pm
These questions would, and have filled volumes of pages on here.
It is a confusing world to break into for sure. So many, too many options really.
I would like a simple way to record each instrument and vocal of my band independantly as we play live. Thereby being able to mix it latter for a CD. Short of building my own million dollar studio, I dont think its possable.
If I had a pocket full of greenbacks, I would sell all my amps, speakers, mics and stuff, and start all over again.
Can be frustrating as well as confusing. :twisted:

#52690 by i-am-liam
Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:39 pm
cheers guys,
man i am deffently goin to try sort something out soon ned to record some tunes,

#52975 by qtrtilldawn
Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:20 am
Hey Liam,

Apparently you already have a computer, so check out your sound card. It should be at least a 4.1 probably a 7.1. (That is surround sound talk for 4 speakers plus a woofer or seven speakers, etc.)

Most newer computers come with a killer sound card. Then you go to a good safe download site, like CNET, and download "Audacity". It is free, (good price), although limited, I took it to 16 channels. But I bet it will do much more. [Dependent on your computer]

Quit looking at: "I got expensive stuff so it must sound better, attitude". Your music is what we all hear, it can be scratchy and hissy but if it is good who gives a damn?

Best of luck, Ron.

#59611 by ratsass
Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:31 am
Yeah, Audacity is good for editing wav files. If you want a good, easy to use multitrack, check out http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/index. ... n=download . It's totally free (although they are coming out with K2 which will be more advanced and for sale). It's pretty basic on it's own and you can go to their site for their online manual and help. It comes with four basic FX...chorus, delay, EQ, and dynamics (compression and stuff) but will accept many other plugins which you can find for free out there.