This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Talk with other musicians and industry professionals.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

Wasting my time?

60%
40%
#43987 by dene
Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:26 am
I'm seriously wanting to find a band in these Genres that is in the Dallas Texas area and could maybe work in my sound.
Please take a minute and listen to my solo stuff I posted and if I'm not a fit for your band let me know why.
I can take constructive comments and even "you sound like sh*t". If I can just get a few responses from the level of talent I have seen on these sites, I'd have a better idea if I'm wasting my time or what I might need to change.

For more of my music http://www.liveright.info/musicmp3.htm
[email protected]

#44011 by philbymon
Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:26 pm
Nice, pure, simple stuff. If you've played all the places you say you have, your audience will tell you far more than we will about whether or not you should continue.

I'd say keep at it, & put a lil more effort &/or emotion into your voice. Hitting the notes is good. Hitting them & putting the right feeling into it is gooder. I didn't listen to all your stuff, just the 1st one, but it's not awful at all. Not my genre of choice, but you obviously can do it, & have been for awhile.

#44035 by HowlinJ
Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:00 am
Dene,

Sounds to me like you got a solid list of tunes in your head.
My opinion (for what it's worth) would be to put at least a four piece together with drums, bass and perhaps keys or another guitar. Try to find people who can double on vocals. Your voice is fine, but if you had some harmony added, my bet is that you would have an excellent band that would find and keep plenty of gigs. Try to put together a small sound system and take a leadership roll. :wink:

Good luck with the musician hunt!
Howlin'

#44060 by gbheil
Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:59 pm
Not my genre'.
The vox, or the recording of said, is thin and tinny.
Would love to have you play some guitar with my man Ray, and I. Your acoustic sound has a light touch "airy" feel to it that I like.
No disrespect intended, some of us should not sing.

#44076 by fisherman bob
Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:19 pm
I used to hate the way I sing. When I listened to the first recordings we made MANY years ago I cringed. As time went on I just kept singing, most often out of necessity because we didn't have a lead singer at the time. It wasn't until this last few years that I actually started to like the way my voice sounded. I really believe the more you sing the better you'll sound EVENTUALLY. That may take years (like me) or only a few months. If you have a certain vocal sound that doesn't work in a particular genre it may work perfect in another genre. Either way DON'T STOP SINGING, you'll get better for sure. Later...

#44105 by Andragon
Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:35 pm
Hey George, if Johnny Cash made it with his singing, I think this man's got a chance.
You got a VERY strong accent, which may or may not appeal to others. The clarity of your voice is good though. I love the guitar work. Slow Deep Purple stuff and 70s acoustic stuff is what comes to mind.

#44117 by gbheil
Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:16 am
Perhaps Andrew. Who knows I hear a lot freakin worse on the radio.
Yet I still say there are some of us whom should just stay away from the mic. Me for one, for sure. 8)

#44182 by charley sky
Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:09 am
your voice can be trained to sound better. main thing if you have an ear. meaning you can sing in tune with song. other than that it is developing what type of voice you want, range, vibrato and mostly wind. breathing is at least half of the skill. it took me awhile i can honestly say i wish our first cd had the voice i have now.
As for music please yourself. the biz is bullshit. my daughter is now giging with another band they get paying gigs all the time. honestly they suck , my son 14 went to one of their rehersal picked up a guitar started to wail and the band lost it. one of the guitarist was about to throw his guitar in the trash but they are working and I'm talking to you. We had a top shelf act but gigs dried up. Promoters cannot see past the fast buck and alot of clubs take advantage of all the wantabe's. So just being good means nothing. just filling the club. so it is about how many friends you have. has nothing to do with the music. So have a life outside of music dream all you want but have a backup plan or you will end up like alot of us.

#44247 by gbheil
Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:12 am
You sound a bit jaded there Charley.
For the sake of music, I hope you are wrong.

#45357 by 4perkussion
Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:19 pm
Any entertainer should always put their best foot forward when it comes to promoting their music and talent. "It is like making love to an old widow woman, you just can't over do it!" This requires a professional recording of your music, a professional photograph, and a professional promotional package. I work out of two professional recording studios in the mid-cities, one in Grand Prairie and one in Grapevine. I can help you with the recording and point you in the right direction for the rest of the package. The compitition is fierce and you should look and sound your very best to succeed in this competitive market.

#45435 by Starfish Scott
Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:49 pm
People keep slamming away at what you do.

I get it all the time and yet at the end of a show, you can tell if you went over well or not so well.

I can't say of late that anyone was bashing us after we played. On the contrary.. lol

I think it takes a little bit for anyone to warm up to what you are playing at any given time. Just stay with it and don't panic.

(Half the mfers don't know sh*t from shineola anyways)
(Play what you like and unless you are crowd based scenario, ignore them too)

#46060 by fairychild
Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:38 pm
Good luck finding someone, sounds like you've got a good start!

#57735 by Pat Chesser
Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:35 am
Bottom line is: "Will somebody out there pat me on the back and tell me I'm good?" Answer is: Keep pluggin.!! I've been in the music business for 55 years, and NOBODY ever made it by hunting for compliments. It's a world of promotion and advertising. Go visit the agents, promoters and producers. If you impress them, they'll get you going.

#57781 by Hayden King
Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:28 am
Sounds like typical Folk and not bad at all INO. Folk is more about stories and feel. A great performance voice is not necessary in folk music.

I say go for it and as was said, do it for yourself and for the feel. Enjoy it and book yourself in the right clubs where you'll be appreciated.

Good Luck Dene.

www.myspace.com/blunderingeye
www.myspace.com/445175001
http://ezfolk.com/audio/bands/6039/
http://bandmix.com/hayden-king/
hayden_king2000 on yahoo messenger