This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Talk with other musicians and industry professionals.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#40287 by Hayden King
Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:22 pm
I was trying to get a better slot for a festival I'm playing and was offered the top slot (9:00 pm)on the B stage rather than the 3:30 slot on the A stage. I declined and stated that we are an A stage act and though I appreciate the offer no thanks. I thought I was polite enough and have been talking with the producer somewhat regularly, and have in fact been promoting the hell out of the show (I expect a heavy showing of fans). well it turns out that he moved us "down" to the 2:30! this is a rough one on me because I now, and have since childhood, drag my ass out of bed around 3:00 pm. I'm traveling for over 3 hours to the show and am getting not a dime for doing it! (it's a benefit) and it's going to break me for a couple of months. (now I'm whining) One of the reasons I accepted the show was the promise that there would be several A&R reps attending. thats another reason I want the A stage P.A. also it is supposed to be recorded on Audio/Visual. anyway would you have accepted the B stage (and the B - P.A. and crowd) or taken the same stage, PA, and crowd as the Headliners in an afternoon slot?
Last edited by Hayden King on Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

#40364 by gbheil
Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:56 pm
Thats a tough call Hayden, I might have told him to kiss my butt right up front. Your were doing a benefit act? Thats kinda like a gift, yes? He did not stick with your original agreement? If he's got no integrity whom is he benefiting?
Did I missunderstand? If not SCREW' EM !

#40367 by Rick Stringfellow
Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:38 pm
It's difficult to say what happened. If communication between you two was via email, he could have - between communications with you - offered your 3:30 slot to the act originally booked at 2:30. Who knows? I don't know what to think of being removed from his email address book.
Just a suggestion: you might call him if possible (or email) just to inquire whether your original 3:30 slot is still open. It would provide opportunity for him to explain what happened, or maybe patch up a misunderstanding, and may even get you a better time slot. At least you will know where you stand.
If you can't do a 2:30 slot, and that is all that's open, decline. It's your life, but I wouldn't do the benefit if I didn't feel good about it.

#40368 by ghost 62
Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:50 pm
1st whats the benefit 4 :?:

#40411 by Hayden King
Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:12 pm
well him of course! lol...it's for Operation Homefront. basically they help war families but focus mainly on the women (just like me)...hell I'm really doing it for exposure and a shot at some more A&R reps ears. yeah he definitly put a screw on me. "if" there are A&R reps there and they talk to me after my show it'll be worth it. I can tell ya he wont get me again without payin good money!!!

#40472 by gbheil
Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:06 am
O. H. seems like a good thing.
I hold most benefits suspect.
Like the hospital who wants me to "give" blood that they will sell to someone else. I'd rather buy a bum a hamburger than give him money he can spend on wine or dope.
Hayden if you want to play, take the chance. You never know man.
#40520 by Black57
Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:34 pm
Hayden King wrote:I was trying to get a better slot for a festival I'm playing and was offered the top slot (9:00 pm)on the B stage rather than the 3:30 slot on the A stage. I declined and stated that we are an A stage act and though I appreciate the offer no thanks. I thought I was polite enough and have been talking with the producer somewhat regularly, and have in fact been promoting the hell out of the show (I expect a heavy showing of fans). well it turns out that he moved us "down" to the 2:30 slot and removed me from his E-mail address book! this is a rough one on me because I now, and have since childhood, drag my ass out of bed around 3:00 pm. I'm traveling for over 3 hours to the show and am getting not a dime for doing it! (it's a benefit) and it's going to break me for a couple of months. (now I'm whining) One of the reasons I accepted the show was the promise that there would be several A&R reps attending. thats another reason I want the A stage P.A. also it is supposed to be recorded on Audio/Visual. anyway would you have accepted the B stage (and the B - P.A. and crowd) or taken the same stage, PA, and crowd as the Headliners in an afternoon slot?

Personally, the only way that I wouldn't have taken the gig,B stage 9:00 PM, is if I had another gig scheduled at that time at another place. Especially if it were paying nothing because you want the exposure and they are really doing you a favor. People, in reality, do not appreciate music. At a benefit, you are a commodity...benefitting the cause...not yourself.They think that every performance should be free. We as musicians have to take that into account and remember where the gig is leading. If I needed to do a freebie that i was expecting to lead somewhere, I would have gone wherever they wanted to put me. From what I understand is that There would have been reps at either stage at any time. With all the promotions that you have been doing for the gig, it could have worked out to your benefit.

#40543 by Hayden King
Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:55 am
I changed my mind...I'll just hold my tongue!
8)

#40622 by Hayden King
Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:48 am
Rick I'm so glad you started takin your meds again. good advice (always take the higher road) I did e-mail him and we're back in the 3:30 slot (or later).

#40647 by gbheil
Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:33 pm
Best of luck on your gig Hayden.

#40672 by Hayden King
Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:47 am
hey thanks sans! and thanks everyone for replying. it gave me a place to bounce it off of.
10 hours and I'm on my way. I think it'll be a good time. he's moved us back up and I feel my new band will do well, even though they hadn't even heard the songs before a few weeks ago.
I'll let ya'll know how it goes..........

#40708 by gbheil
Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:04 pm
Git some pictures!

#40885 by Hayden King
Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:15 pm
I'll post some pics n video in a day or two sans.

#48384 by harpyrec
Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:35 pm
curiose to see where this all led.did you play?did you get any exposure?
bruce