This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Talk with other musicians and industry professionals.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#32047 by Wakingjayne
Wed May 21, 2008 2:50 pm
Hey! This as the title suggests might be a stupid question but I am looking for some peoples opinions. Basically I've been in a female fronted rock band for about a year and we were due to record an EP to satisfy a Steadily progressing following. Then the singer walks out. We have held auditions and the most promising talent is only 16 years old. Now me and the rest of the band are in our 20s. She is dedicated and has a great voice and a family that is willing to support her on gigs etc. But should this be a problem? Would an audience maybe find a band with a really young singer a comedy experience? Like i said this subject is bothering me and to be honest im not sure why. Let me know your thoughts, woould be most appreicated.

#32073 by RhythmMan
Wed May 21, 2008 8:25 pm
If she's really good, it doesn't matter.
Who was that C&W girl that played the Grand Old Opry in Nashville, at 16?
Just keep the parents in the loop with everything . . .

#32084 by Marnie Kay
Wed May 21, 2008 10:35 pm
LeeAnn Rimes. I agree. As a 40 year old female vocalist who started in her mid 20s, there is always room for her to get better, and she will, but if she can front the band, woo the crowd and sing well consistently right now, you've got a winner. But, the birdie will want to spread her wings and see what else is out there, too, so you may not have her for long either. In short, if she's doing the job, leave her alone.

#32086 by gbheil
Wed May 21, 2008 10:59 pm
Age should not matter to a point but keep in mind.
1 She is a minor hence legal issues.
2 She is not physically mature, therefore her voice will change, and is a greater risk of chord damage.
Keep these in mind and go forth.

#32101 by Andragon
Thu May 22, 2008 12:45 am
I'm an 18 year old vocalist. My voice stopped changing bout 8 months ago. That's pretty much normal.
And San, here, has a point. She's underage and the whole gigging thing might end up holding you back.. unless you can work your way around that (fake IDs, dressing maturely, etc).
Best of luck either way.
#32139 by Wakingjayne
Thu May 22, 2008 6:00 pm
Thanks to all the people above for your help and comments its very much appreciated.

#32142 by brangela
Thu May 22, 2008 6:11 pm
sanshouheil wrote:Age should not matter to a point but keep in mind.
1 She is a minor hence legal issues.
2 She is not physically mature, therefore her voice will change, and is a greater risk of chord damage.
Keep these in mind and go forth.

I agree. Those two can be an issue.

#32192 by philbymon
Fri May 23, 2008 3:30 pm
When I was 16 & singing in a band, I could go into bars & perform if my parents were there, in MD. Things have changed countrywide on this, I think.

Here in WV, you'd be hard pressed to find places to gig that weren't a church, private party, co. picnic or festival.

I'd be leery of using underage singers just due to the lack of playing venues, myself. I'd still record with her, though.

I don't think anyone would make fun of a band that worked with an underage yet excellent singer, but it does limit your possibilities overall.

Sorry to hear you lost your previous one, & hope things work out well for you.

#48474 by 6996.alan
Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:45 am
I think the age is no problem!
If she has a good voice and knows how to communicate with the audience, I think the age really is not worth talking about! :)
Maybe it's right that you have limited possibilities (eg in bars ...)

#58592 by TJS 1
Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:01 pm
Well lets see. I am going through in now. (A little different). Age should not matter as long as she has consent from her parents (which a notarized letter would help). She can sing and has good stage presence. Making the connection with all the band members is crucial.

Everyone has to get along or it won't work. Also don't forget about equal pay when playing out and or recording. Look at Rush, they settled it in the very beginning, everything gets split equal. I hope this helped and good luck.

#76812 by Whitesel
Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:18 am
Underage female in a band with a bunch of 20 year olds...sounds like a parents worst nightmare...I think the biggest problem won't be with the singer herself...but with your new added manager/critic/bandmates....her parents :)

#78845 by Kramerguy
Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:33 am
I've never seen a bar question the age of band-members before, but I guess it's possible. I wouldn't worry about it though, even if they do question y'all, they won't cancel the show over it, they would most likely just make sure teh singer doesn't get served.

I say go for it

#79287 by 33ARTS
Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:12 pm
Age, legal issues, voice changing, mind changing....If she can deliver the Message, all the rest fall to the wayside. The Front has to deliver believably, other wise you can blame all the other baggage for it seeming comedic. If she is down and can sell it, rock on.