This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Talk with other musicians and industry professionals.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#77953 by trikeaband
Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:35 am
As for us, we were signed to an internet label called "Capsule Records" for six days before they folded. Aside from that, we're DIY. I disagree with some of the posters who say DIY is the only way. We've been DIY, we've had a lot of breaks (won $20,000, toured Europe twice, been written about in several blogs, magazines etc... just in the last two years), but we are both HOPING to get signed at some time. We haven't tried yet... we popped into Crunchy Frog (Denmark) and they like us but nothing has come of it yet...

Thing is, sometimes there is just too much to do and you need help. We have been busting our balls, playing hundreds of shows, selling CDs at shows and sometimes online and FINALLY did iTunes, but the truth is, if we want to reach MANY people, we will HAVE to get signed/ distributed/ something. How many bands do you know of who made it BIG by doing it DIY? Zilch... if you're smart you can get a leg up, but you will NEED others helping you to make it big big and bigger...

#78781 by Bambamvdrumr
Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:43 am
As far as "Landing a record deal" goes, It's beginning to become more apparent that the ones that actually do get a record deal may have had it bestowed upon them at birth that they would end up that way. Or maybe they were born into a family that is already breaking records all over the world. After all, If Julian Lennon wasn't a "Lennon", he would be on here just like the rest of us bitching about why he can't get anyone to take his music seriously.

Outside of that, if you don't have what they are looking for at a particular time, (and they always know what they are looking for BEFORE they even consider checking you out), they don't care how good you are regardless of how much you packed the house that night. I haven't had a lot of experience with indy label type stuff, but at least that way, you know you will be heard, and searched, by those who are looking for your kind of music. I make most of my money playing out, and most of the time its all covers.

Once in a while we can slip in a few originals here and there, and they often get requested, but we live in the real world, where bills need to be paid. So we keep playing bars, clubs, festivals, private parties, and everywhere else that pays and pays well. (most of the time)

Don't get too hung up on a record deal you may end up paying back for the rest of your life. Just do what you like to do, get paid for it as often as you can, and have fun doing it. Isn't that what it's really all about anyway?
#78783 by Bambamvdrumr
Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:53 am
4perkussion wrote:A successful songwriter once told me, "If you can't stand to sing a song for the next 25 years, don't write it." While him and others have expressed the fact they were not proud of every song they have ever done and the darnest ones seem to be the most popular, they all agree, the checks they receive in the mail every year are easily spent without any guilt what-so-ever. One guy refers to it as "mailbox money."

This reminds me of something. I once bumped into Chuck Mangione in a local supermarket in NYC a few years back. He was a really nice guy, and was very receptive to everyone around him that recognized him. One woman asked him, "are you ever gonna stop playing that 1 song?" (I forget what the song was but I'll never forget his answer), he said "Lady, that song put both my daughters through college. I'll play it until my Lips fall off!!!"

Not bad huh?
#78809 by DFDillon
Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:58 pm
Hey all,
I'm by no means an expert on this so if I misquote or mistell something please correct me.
The music business is just that a business.
Now a band or artist CAN get signed on talent alone, all be it rare!
Record companies love to see the BUZZ around your band, or music.
They need to know if they have a SALABLE product.
They are interested in making huge profits from your music.
1. They get 90-100% of the publishing rights to your music.
2. They ASSIGN you a producer who THINKS he knows your music better than you do.
3. The FRONT money is a LOAN, you have to pay it back regardless if you sell any albums or not.
4. They will dump you if you do not meet or exceed what THEY think your album sales should be.
5. You have very little say in how your first contract will go.
6. Get a publicist, for $200 an hour, to write nice things about you in the indy papers.
7. Get all the money you can from friends and family to create a publicity campaign, this will guarantee you get some press.
I hope this helps a little...!
Oh yeah and keep it fun and business like, record companies like it when you are organized.

#84275 by mgold
Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:21 am
PEOPLE are also forgetting the age factor.If your over 30, you might as well start buying lottery tickets.

#84537 by thelonerambler
Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:59 am
Chris2203 wrote:OR...don't waste your time with "getting signed" at all.
Today, you have the power and resources at your call to do everything YOURSELF and keep 100% of your profits.
You can even get European distribution on your own.
The day of "getting signed" in order to record, market, distribute and tour is becoming a thing of the past.
You can do all of this on your own now.

Just a thought.

AMEN.

#86228 by DavidSpencerMarsh
Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:38 am
I'd like to get a record deal..that wouldc be nice, but then I would need a management deal, a publishing deal, a promotion deal, a tour deal, not to mention an agent, roadies, consignements for equipment, busses and traveling expenses, hmm...is there such a DEAL OUT THERE???