This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Talk with other musicians and industry professionals.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#27876 by Local_Music
Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:22 pm
I would like to interview bands and musicians via email. I am working on articles compiled and composed of interviews of local unsigned bands throughout the country. These articles would be distributed to many related web sites that would include promotional information about your musical past, present, and future aspirations.

The interviews along with your responses would include your band or music contact information, your web sites, favorite venues that you frequent, and so much more. If you are in a band, get everyone together; let’s hear the life of your band from each member.

While you would not hold the copyright to the article that is compiled from interview responses, this would provide a great promotional tool to introduce you to new fans and to make a name for yourself in the music industry.

If you are interested, email me at: [email protected] I will send you an interview questionnaire, feel free to answer what you would like, skip others, and share stories of being on the road, or a show played that went great or soured out. Tell us and your fans what makes your music so good and why we should be coming out to listen.

Content may be edited for obscenities with the use of symbols, but I will never alter your responses or add content that is false. And I will use spell checkers just in case, but will not correct grammar. When writing of people in questionable situations, I ask that you only use a first name that is not their own; for their own protection.

Please do not submit material that you have already prepared, such as press releases, as I would not be able to use it to help promote you through distribution unless you are prepared to forgo your claims on the copyright, which would need to be stated in your submission.

If you know of other bands or musicians across the country that you feel might be interested as well, feel free to pass this along. Even the closet musicians who play for pure pleasure for their own comfort and soul should share their passion.

Thank you and I look forward to reading your responses to the interview questions.

Michael J. Spindler
[email protected]

On a side note, submit only your experiences. I use software that compares submitted material to existing material on the internet. Copyright infringement would be an automatic disqualification. Besides, your story and experience is worth hearing about.
There is no offer of monetary gains from Michael J. Spindler, only the promise that if an article is developed using your responses to the interview, that you may gain exposure on the national stage. Now who doesn’t want to spread their music to all?

First: I would like to thank you for taking the time to conduct this interview. Feel free to be as honest as you would like. If there is a question you would rather not answer, just skip it. If there is a question not asked, feel free to include it.

For this to be of value and to your benefit, the more information and detail you can provide the better.

1) What’s the name of your band? What’s the origin of that name? Have you changed the band’s name before?

2) When did you form your band? What inspired you to make music together?

3) (If in a Band) How long have you all known each other? How did you meet?

4) How has your music evolved since you first began playing music together?

5) Would you attribute mental issues or drug usage as factors in inspiring your music?

6) Could you briefly describe the music-making process? (Does it start on a napkin? Etc…)

7) Are you a cover band or strictly compose original music?

8) What are your songs about? (What specific themes do they cover?)

9) What genre of music do you consider your work to be? Who are your major influences?

10) Do you currently have a website with your bands promotional info? Web address?

11) Who writes your songs? What are the main themes or topics for most of your songs? Do you think these topics will change over time?

12) What are your immediate music career goals? (Next 1 to 3 years.)

13) Do you have a back stage story you would like to share?

14) Do you perform locally, regionally or further. Please elaborate…

15) What kind of people do you meet in your business?

16) Are groupies a problem? Stories you would like to share on this?

17) How can fans-to-be gain access to your music? Do you have a website with sample songs or a demo CD?

18) What advice do you have for people who want to form their own bands?

19) What has been your biggest challenge as a band? Have you been able to overcome that challenge? If so, how?

20) How would you describe your fan base?

21) What can you tell me about your instruments? (i.e., Are you subject to brand loyalty or will you play with whatever’s available? What made you choose the instruments you have now? Was it cost or was it a style/model/brand/color preference?

22) Which songs do you perform most frequently? Do you ever play any covers? Do you have a set play list?

23) Have you recorded any previous CDs or posted any audio files on the Internet?

24) What’s your ultimate direction for your band? Are you seeking fame and fortune?

Would you like to include any additional stories that you would like to share of unusual experiences that you and your band have encountered? The more colorful, the more likely you will be noticed.

Thank you for your time and feel free to write as much as you would like. Short, one line answers are difficult to build an article out of.

Sincerely,

Michael J. Spindler

Please send to: [email protected]
Subject: Interview Response

#63169 by SKM
Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:19 pm
I tried emailing you about an interview. That email address is not working I guess.

#63213 by Starfish Scott
Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:14 am
[email protected]

Who the heck wants to fill that questionnaire out?

I'd be hard pressed to want to do that for some industry guy I thought was on the level and actually heard of before..let alone whoever YOU are.

No promise of monetary gain? Ahem, that's all I need to read.

#63219 by ratsass
Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:33 am
Capt. Scott wrote:[email protected]

Hey, Capt. I tried sending a message to that address you gave, but got a letter back from George W. Bush. :lol:

#63252 by Starfish Scott
Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:51 pm
bwahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Oh sh*t you just made me snarf coffee.. LOL

#63264 by RhythmMan
Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:04 pm
Folks, Michael is legit.
Michael, the address you supplied generates an error message that says it's a dead address.
It is not a valid email address.
I saw the same address referenced elsewhere, but - none the less: it is not a valid email address.
People cannot contact you.
How about posting a good email address?

#63315 by fisherman bob
Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:30 am
I'm Kansas City's finest blues bass player/lead singer/songwriter, world famous fisherman bob. Nuff siad...

#63616 by fisherman bob
Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:11 pm
The man is legit? Can't contact him? I'm world famous and he won't message me? Not too sure if he's legit...

#63668 by fisherman bob
Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:22 am
Hm, since your e-mail doesn't work I decided to answer your survey questions here. This way you can conveniently respond to me here at Bandmix.com/fisherman bob. This way you can prove to us all that you are legit. Here's the answers to your survey:
1) fisherman bob & The Bluefin Tuna Band. The name comes from me (I fish) and a specie of fish that has the word blue in it since we are primarily a blues band. (Kind of catchy isn't it).

2) I don't remember when the band was formed, years ago. Inspiration? I started playing harmonica and singing in my early twenties. Then I saw the Bill Blue Band and that got me hooked on being a musician.

3) I've known the drummer for 18 years, the harmonica player for six years and the lead guitarist and accoustic/rhythm guitar/lead singer for a few months only.

4) I've been performing music for thirty years. The vocals have gradually improved over time. I started playing blues and still play blues. The evolution is in the nuance, the feel, the bluesiness. Blues ages like fine wine, it just gradually gets better over time.

5) Mental issues and drug usage have NO BEARING WHATSOEVER on my music. I have NEVER indulged in ANY illegal drugs EVER. I have NEVER gotten drunk EVER. I consider myself to be one of the most down to earth, rational individuals that I have ever known. My inspiration in music is unencumbered by delusional thinking or drug-induced "inspiration."

6) Music-making starts in your brain, not on a napkin. How it starts in anybody's brain cannot be briefly described.

7) We play covers and originals. We play material that the band members like. We play only GOOD covers and GOOD originals.

8) Our songs are about just about anything and everything.

9) We are mainly a blues band. My main influences are Bill Blue, Freddie King, Junior Wells, Muddy Waters, Stevie Ray Vaughan, etc. but I listen to all genres of music. (I only listen to GOOD music).

10) Bandmix.com/fisherman bob

11) I've written most of our originals over the years. Many themes, many topics. Yeah, they'll change over the years.

12) Immediate career goals: get a gig-worthy band together again (we're there now), record a CD, sell it as an indie recording artist

13) Back stage story? Do you want me to tell you about the Hell's Angel who pushed me away from a urinal while I was peeing?

14) I have performed locally and regionally. Don't plan on doing any traveling in the future.

15) I have met all kinds of people. I generally stay away from slimeballs and stick with the good, honest hard-working kind.

16) I was stalked by a woman once. Other than that we're not the kind of band to have groupies. I guess our music is geared more towards men for some reason.

17) Bandmix.com/fisherman bob for now. Eventually we'll have a band website once we record our CD. Probably do a Myspace page. I hear they are valuable but I'm not fond of Myspace really.

18) My best advice for people wanting to form bands is DO IT. When you're on your deathbed someday and never was in a band you'll wish you had done it. You only live once.

19) Finding people who will STICK with the band through thick and thin and HAVE THE PATIENCE TO SEE THROUGH TO THE COMPLETION OF THE PROJECT.

20) People who like eclectic blues. Hearing covers, many of which we perform our own way, and originals that are truly original.

21) I don't have any brand affiliations. I actually bought my bass amp by doing a blind "taste test". I took my bass guitar into four different music stores, told the salesmen to fire up all the bass amps and then with my back turned he plugged me into each one and I played. He didn't tell me which one I was plugged into. I ended up choosing the Peavey TNT 115 because it sounded the best to me. I pick instruments entirely on what they sound like to ME.

22) We've got a number of what I call standard Bluefin Tuna songs that we play every gig. Some are covers and some originals. We finish every show with a tune I wrote called Living On A Shoestring. We always play Blues With A Feeling and Key To The Highway. Tell Me About the Blues is a tune I wrote which we play every gig. We have a set list of course. Now that we have new band members we are putting into this list at least ten choices by each of the new members.

23) Just demo CD's. A real CD is going to be recorded SOON.

24) I don't care about fame and fortune. I do this because I LOVE it and if fame and fortune don't smile on me that's okay. I can always go fishing...

#63679 by Hayden King
Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:13 am
I would be interested in giving you an interview but first I have one question regarding two things...

#1. Lets say I get signed and manage to get to the higher levels of the charts and offers for interviews start coming in. Am I going to have to pay you to use the info in the interviews that I did for you?

You did say that I would not own the copyrite to the article (and I assume the material about me in it) so does that mean that you will in any way own the right's to my story?

#2. I am currently writing my autobiography and this information will be included in it, so I need to be clear on this!

www.myspace.com/blunderingeye
www.myspace.com/445175001
http://ezfolk.com/audio/bands/6039/

"when your not that smart your forced to ask stupid questions"

#63695 by jw123
Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:26 pm
Kramer strikes again.

You should be an entertainment lawyer!

Have a Great Day!

#63739 by Kramerguy
Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:53 pm
jw123 wrote:Kramer strikes again.

You should be an entertainment lawyer!

Have a Great Day!

Fear mah Google props

#63749 by Hayden King
Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:17 pm
RhythmMan_JazzBluesRockFo wrote:Folks, Michael is legit.
Michael, the address you supplied generates an error message that says it's a dead address.
It is not a valid email address.
I saw the same address referenced elsewhere, but - none the less: it is not a valid email address.
People cannot contact you.
How about posting a good email address?

Do you know this guy Allen?