This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Talk with other musicians and industry professionals.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#27601 by RhythmMan
Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:30 pm
Here is a part of a message I got today, concerning a possible record deal.
He says's he's an A & R rep, and it appears that he is;
"I’m listening to "Picnic" on your myspace page and I want to talk to you about your music…

I help artists get their music heard and placed by major record labels and music industry execs. I can immediately have you on the phone with A reps from major labels like Universal, Sony, Warner Bros. , EMI and more where they can listen to your tracks and give you feedback for deal consideration. "
They're registered w/ the BBB.
He lists all sorts of contact info, and his phone # . . . wants me to call.
There is a charge for registering a song for the service, of course (why should they do it for nothing?)
But the site looks very professional, & it looks completely legit.
My question is this:
Does anyone have experience with armusic1.com?
And, please, don't answer if you don't even know what "A & R" stands for, ok? I'm looking for real info here.
Anyone have dealings with these folks?

#27611 by Starfish Scott
Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:23 pm
If they are charging you to register with them, beware.

#28161 by koolmom78
Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:58 am
Okay, so forgive my ignorance, but the first thing I'm thinking of is what protection do you have if you register your songs with them? Do you need any sort of copyright or legality so your songs remain yours?

#28214 by Starfish Scott
Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:59 pm
lol insert caustic remark here..

#28246 by jw123
Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:42 pm
Rythym man it sounds fishy to me.

I would think if someone has a true interest they would invest their money in the project before you would. A manager wouldnt take money until you make some and then they get a percentage, booking agencys sometimes want money to put together promo packs but the one I dealt with one time let us take that out of future gig money.

If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

Just my 2 cents, you never know til you try, just make sure you dont sign the rights away to a song.

#28291 by RhythmMan
Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:17 am
Thanks for your responses.
Every one of my songs has been copyrighted in the Library of Congress before it appeared on the internet.
Also, I don't play new songs for an audience, - until the songs are copyrighted . . .
I have so many songs, that I have no shortage of music to play, anyway . . . but - it's just too easy to record other people's material, while you're sitting in the audience.
Also, many places record every show . . .
If they're going to record my music, then they have to pay me first . . .
. . .
. . . although, lately, as my songs have developed in difficulty, - I have less and less to worry about, because the average musician can't play the songs anyway . . .
Anyway - back to subject: I'm holding onto my money.
I've been recording several new songs; I'm almost ready to send my next batch of ten songs in for copyright.
Also, I've been playing with a few local musicians, but still haven't found anyone I want to appear on stage together with . . .
Thanks, everyone

#28375 by RhythmMan
Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:38 pm
I think the gist of the thing was that, for their fee, they guarantee a telephone conversation with the record companies.
I was curious . . .
. . . to the folks who answered this post . . . have any of you guys sold any of your original songs?

#28471 by koolmom78
Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:49 pm
Sorry...I'm not a songwriter. But I think if I had my own songs, I would NOT sell them. Here's why: it's like when someone has an invention. You sell the rights to the concept, then it's mass-produced and even tho you may have got a pretty penny for your thoughts, the company you sold to will be raking in the profits for many more years. I suppose a person could have rights to a percentage of those profits, but unless you get lucky, it most likely will not come close to equaling what the big guy made off you. You sound educated on how to go about these things, and I'm sure you'll use caution as well. But listen to your gut also! If something just is not sitting right, then don't make any spontaneous decisions. I mean, I know there comes a time to have to sell because you need a medium for your music...but I think if you read the fine prints, there may very well be another way other than singing your songs over, yk? (and it's most likely not going to be commom knowledge because they are going to want you to sell, so do your homework! ;) Good things come to those who wait...) Best of luck and I hope if it's right for you, you'll know without a doubt.

#28510 by Senior Jalapeno
Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:23 am
A&R , which stands for artist and repertoire' are Representatives (usually young) on payroll with music recording labels and publishing agencies to scout and develop new talent the labels are interested in signing...

Very rarly would one work independently, unless he represents an independent label and even so, should not charge you to call any label for you. They are paid salaries and commisions for their services.

Sounds like you landed a "song shark", I understand there is one circling myspace under a "sigining heavy metal bands guise" currently.

I had a friend in the 80s who had a small recording studio and label and I did some commision A&R work for him. No band was ever charged for their contacts.

#28572 by philbymon
Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:47 pm
A lady I worked with once called me after she moved to Texas. She said she wanted to buy the recording rights to my song "Morons," that we used to do together.

I told her it'd cost $5K, figuring I can always write more novelty songs.

Never heard from her again.

Yeah, I'd be really leery of ppl wanting to represent me for a cost up front. Sounds fishy & crappy to boot!

#30081 by Cliff78
Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:34 pm
I got the same email from someone else in the company from another band I used to be in. It is just BS. They want you to pay for their services to supposedly shop your song to A&R. I immediately deleted it. Record lables don't look for music that way.

It takes quite a bit to shop a band or artist to a record label and I don't think that one song will do it. They need promo packs, a couple of songs and to see live performances. Gone are the days where they will sign you from just one song.

armusic1 is just trying to make money off of people who are desperate to get signed.
#34885 by Tasha1
Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:08 am
as a musician i have tried several ways to get somebody reputable to hear my songs....and in Delaware, as you can imagine that's kinda hard to do...i got an email from them also..and i was very skeptable...so what i did was call the record label that they were so called affiliated with...and to my surprise they were!

so i tried it out...only once so far...and honestly it was cool..the rep from capital rec gave me some good feedback..although i needed to do some more work on my song...

#34903 by RhythmMan
Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:15 pm
Thanks for the info Tasha.
Good luck.

#35580 by Ken O.
Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:23 am
Hmmm....Charging an artist a fee to get them heard ?
It just does not sound right.
I wonder what the fee is ?
And how many people respond to this ?
Are they spamming places like my space ?

Good luck on your endevours .

#36604 by Black57
Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:25 am
IMHO, if you did not contact them, ignore the shpeel. I think that it is your job to contact a recording rep, after you have investigated their background. Never go into this kind of thing without a lawyer...even if that lawyer is a shister, he/she will give these guys reason to beware. As a matter of fact you might tell these guys that you are interested and will be contacting your lawyer to get things moving. If they are too legit to quit, they will stay in contact with you. If they are not legit, you will never hear from them again.

The BBB serves the business not the customer so don't let those 3 letters sway you.