This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Talk with other musicians and industry professionals.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#286932 by danny290811
Tue May 29, 2018 9:28 am
Hi all, first post here.

My band are starting to play some bigger venues (bigger for us) where we need to utilise lighting more. Normally we have focussed on the music playing in smaller, more intimate venues where you are almost in the audience. We played a theatre recently and we realised that we were not making the most of what was available.

Anyway, we have some more of these theatre type gigs coming up later in the year and they have in house lighting engineers. I want to know if there is a specific format we need to use to give him a script to follow. For example most songs will just have a different overall colour and brightness.

Im not wanting to be too specific....just maybe -

SONG 1 - RED/LOW INTENSITY
SONG 2 - WHITE/BRIGHT BACKLIT
etc etc.

Is it a case of giving him a set list with notes on it or is there some mystical language that light engineers understand.

Also one of our songs comes to a really sudden stop and we want the lights to go off right on the last beat. Is there anyway we can give him the info for this or are am i getting to far ahead of myself?

Thanks

Danny
#286937 by GuitarMikeB
Tue May 29, 2018 1:40 pm
Most modern places use a DMX programmed system these days - all changes are loaded ahead of time, and the lighting person just has to hit a button to put the change in.
You'd need to contact the venue and ask them what they want.