This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Talk with other musicians and industry professionals.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

Do you think music influences action?

84%
16%

#28507 by philbymon
Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:49 pm
Yeah...dunno what I'd do if you stuck me in a day-glo orange cluttered room with Dr Dre blasting on the stereo...I might turn into the next Manson...Marylin or Charlie? Either one would be a disaster!

#28584 by The Hunter
Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:36 pm
Music makes me want to dance.
That's an action. Especially if it's in the street-

butt naked!!!!!!!!! :P
#32147 by brangela
Thu May 22, 2008 6:53 pm
Danielstevens2002 wrote:I was reading an issue of Metal Maniacs which is one of my fav mags that are out there when I finally realised something. Now don't get me wrong on this cause I am never one to say that music TOTALLY influences behavior but in every single issue there are people in the mail section that are looking for pen pals.

Nothing wrong with some pen pals i'm all for meeting new people and haveing a friend when you are in your time of need. Within the metal scene there are so many different types of hardcore music. You have standard death metal then hard core prog or whatever you want to call it. Some bands out there are pretty kick ass like NILE. I love NILE "Black Seeds of Vengence" is one of my all time favorite albums.

The thing about NILE though is that they don't dress anything up. They let there music speak for them. Now I don't know of anyone that was a fan of NILE going off and murdering someone or killing themselves I dare say that the reason behind this is that they themselves aren't extreme violent individuals. They sing about things that interest them and they actually study on what they are singing and not just throwing a buntch of barks out there.

I'll get to the meat of this subject at this point since it would take me forever to explain everything. In the magazine where the mail section is there are alot of people writing from Medium security prisons as well as maximum security prisons. They claim to be priests of satanism and looking for pen pals. Another says that she wants to meet other people into vampirism and black magick.

Once I saw this and I thought about all the articles I just read in the mag people actually imulate what these people are singing. They had a GREAT story on a band called The True Mayhem. Those guy's have been through hell and back and they are still pushing through. I commend them for there courage after all the bullshit and craziness they were put through.

I am not sure how it happened but a person they were going to get to play either guitar or bass guitar ended up murdering someone so he couldn't play in the band cause he was in jail. The next was a man they knew that was part of an occult simply called the MLO or the MOL something like that. Well that guy ended up killing himself. After that happened the drummer and someone else took pieces of his skull and made necklaces out of them. I understand loving someone and of course that was there reason for doing it. I respect that.

I don't think Hellhammer the drummer would ever go out of his way to slaughter someone just cause he had the urge to do it but yet alot of the fans in this scene are either trying or just by hapenstance they end up getting into trouble.

I myself had a friend who was into that style of music pretty deep. He let his life go out of control and ended up killing himself with an overdose of Lithium. The band members he played with were streight edge then all of a sudden they were out drinking up a storm and taking drugs. What prompted the behavior?

Again I hate to be a person who says that music influences people but within this genre there is a little bit of this happening. It sould just be that it's only those who already have mental issues i'm not sure which people are effected and which ones aren't but I do know that majority of people who are deeply involved in this music seem to make really really rash and bad decisions in there life. As you can read in Metal Maniacs they are in either a medium or maximum security prison.

There was one metal head in the back that made a very interesting point and even Hellhammer from Mayhem made a good quote. The guy in the mail section was asking why the hostility towards christianity. He brought up all the ones i've heard people yell before. "Oh your shoving it down my throat" blah blah blah. I personally don't care what you believe if you think the grass is blue and the sky is green then so be it. Doesn't affect me one way or the other.

He basically wanted people to just chill out. Stop trying to find excuses to get into fights. I think it was Hellhammer that stated that groups like the MLO or the MOL, Terrorists, people who strap bombs to them and blow them up around innocent people that is the real threat not christianity. I don't know why the statement ended that way but it is a good point. It's good to see someone in the metal scene that isn't promoting USELESS violence. I'm sure the guy would bash someones head in if they f**k with him and that is his god given right to but he's not gonna walk up to someone and just kill them.

I think the metal scene needs to re-think it's approach with the whole doom horseshit. Some people are just to impresionable for it. At least let people know that it's just an act it's makeup and effects nothing more nothing less. The guy's from Mayhem seem like an awesome group of guy's I wish them all the luck in the future and beyond we need more people like these guy's out there that can distinguish between Art and reality.

I like NILE, they have their own unique style. Love how they entwine Egyptology with their music.
The singer of Mayhem actually blew his brains out on stage in front of a live audience in their home town. There are pictures and there was something in the book "Lords Of Chaos" about it. The guitarist stabbed someone to death in a drunken bar fight. They have had some sh*t luck but they were all heavily involved with the black magic and yes there are rumors that they had been involved in church bombings, Christian executions and such. Hellhammer has come a long way, he is a brilliant guy and definitely changed his perspective over the years. He has numerous projects which are all amazing in my point of view. But yes, I also object on useless violence and there are many people with weak minds that blame the music they listen to for killing/hurting others and themselves. I myself am an agro sometimes violent person but it's not like I intended to be that way, I just have a short fuse like many others.
There were some serious mental issues that were established before hand with many of these lost people and the music was their escape from reality. Some just took it too far and wanted the live the fantasy the lyrics and media created.