This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Talk with other musicians and industry professionals.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#268020 by schmedidiah
Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:27 am
rachaelmurphey wrote:
Remember Chinese Democracy? Neither does anybody else. Axl Rose was quick to blame the label, the executives, the manager, and everybody else for the album’s initial failure.

No one remembers Chinese Democracy or actually, that band and their product failed because it was the band and the album no one wanted from Axl (William Rose). Bring in Duff and the guy in the top hat, BAM! Selling out football stadiums.
#269897 by leigh1169070
Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:35 am
Honestly,

(I'm sure a few people before me may have answered this the same way)

There are so many ways to get started, but the number one thing is to have good music. Second, find where your core audience gathers at and get the music in front of them (on or off line). If they like your music the next thing you want to do is collect their contact information or ask them to follow you on social media so you can get music to them in the future. This is a very wide question because there are so many ways to answer this, but this would be my recommendation to get started in the beginning of your career.
#272459 by micah1055705
Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:45 pm
Good question! II think it makes sense to ask what kind of musician you are first. Are you more of a writer or player? What would you consider successful,paying the rent, or stardom? Being a good session guy can be a solid living. Some writers generate songs but almost never see a stage. Good cover tune bands in the right market can do alright but some of the ones that i know regret not selling their own stuff. I think figuring out what you call success would be a good start. One thing i do know, few can do it without surrounding themselves with supportive people that are talented and hard working enough to make them look good. Good luck!!! honestly, if any of us had nailed it, we wouldn't have time or desire to come to this blog searching for tips ourselves. so take anything any of us have to say with a grain of salt.
#272461 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:51 pm
micah1055705 wrote: honestly, if any of us had nailed it, we wouldn't have time or desire to come to this blog searching for tips ourselves. so take anything any of us have to say with a grain of salt.

True dat.

Just don't expect the alta-kachers (old farts club) 'round here to let you do that without complaint. Any time I've tried it was shot at from people a long distance away.
Last edited by t-Roy and The Smoking Section on Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#289417 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:37 pm
There is a big difference between being a career "musician" and being a recording artist. Don't confuse those if you are creating something original of value. One can be a marginal musician and still be a recording artist with a successful career (See Johnny Rotten). The opposite is also true; one can be a great musician with a successful career having no talent at songwriting or recording.

So much of the decision is defining your own goals and then making a plan you will stick to when things aren't going as planned.

There are some great resources online for tailoring information to your particular situation. Can't recommend Tunecore.com highly enough. Get their pro publishing deal and you're set as an indie recording artist. But also check the resources at Discmakers, cdbaby, symphonic distribution, taxi.com, BMI, ASCAP, etc...