This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Talk with other musicians and industry professionals.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#245572 by Tokyo Angel
Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:01 pm
So I've been interviewing bands in Japan, know many musicians, have always had a passion for music and the industry...I started playing drums and DJ...but all my musician friends insisted, 'Why don't you be a vocalist of a band?'

I always thought it would be fun, but I'm not sure how to go about recruiting members etc. where are the best places to get in contact with people?

I'd like to do a copy band based on Japanese bands like ONEOKROCK etc. as I feel the Japanese rock scene is still pretty much undiscovered here.

Any tips are much appreciated! Thanks for reading!

Tokyo Angel
#245574 by MikeTalbot
Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:16 pm
Learn at least a dozen tunes you personally can perform - be ready to show them to players.

Find a strong player to partner with - keyb or guitar.

Equipment - bands need a lot. What about a PA? Can you get backing? Usually to do so you'll need a solid demo.

Identify your audience - target jobs. Most small venues will have no idea what you are on about so you will need some flash to find work. Get all your ducks in a row before you try to recruit players.

Welcome to band leader-ville! It sucks there but can be fun.

Good luck
Talbot
#245663 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:57 pm
Tokyo Angel wrote:So I've been interviewing bands in Japan, know many musicians, have always had a passion for music and the industry...I started playing drums and DJ...but all my musician friends insisted, 'Why don't you be a vocalist of a band?'

I always thought it would be fun, but I'm not sure how to go about recruiting members etc. where are the best places to get in contact with people?

I'd like to do a copy band based on Japanese bands like ONEOKROCK etc. as I feel the Japanese rock scene is still pretty much undiscovered here.

Any tips are much appreciated! Thanks for reading!

Tokyo Angel

It's really a crapshoot. Determination is the most important ingredient. How stubborn are you?

If you can find a paying gig, it will be easier to find band members. You mention the underground Japanese rock scene; go there and ask around. If you can get one player, it will be easier to get the next one and so on....

good luck with that

:)