This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Talk with other musicians and industry professionals.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

Is it better to start out in a rural area?

100%
N/A
#217720 by kerry532073
Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:49 am
I am part of a band in the rural south and we live in a very small town. We play mostly alternative/indie rock and are having trouble getting started. I'm not going to say there's no music scene here. We are very close to Merlefest, but I will say that there is no rock scene here unless it's classic or southern rock. Unless you play bluegrass, there are no venues, no place for gigs, no places to even play for the enjoyment. Go farther away and there are some bars that do metal or rock but nothing like what we play. We know of one other similar band and they drive long distances to play. Something we don't have the luxury of be able to do. I feel like maybe we're just looking wrong? How can we find gigs/fans/etc. in a sparsely populated place where no one plays or listens to our music?

#217729 by gbheil
Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:18 pm
We are a Christian rock band also from a small town in the south.
Getting gigs is also difficult for us for many similar reasons.

Networking with individuals of like interest is the key factor.
You really have to physically put yourself out in the scene without your instrument first and develop contacts.

Best wishes.

#217735 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:26 pm
Well naturally, if there are few local places you can play, that's a hindrance.
1) Consider adding some of that old southern rock/bluegrass to your song list so you can get local gigs.
2) Consider you're going to have to drive an hour + to Greensboro and Charlotte for regular gigs.

#217754 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:04 am
No matter where you live, you will eventually have to travel for (decent paying) venues to take you seriously.

It sounded like you were in the Siberian tundra by the way you described it, but you are only an hour and a half from Asheville, one of the best music scenes in the nation. You don't realize how good you have it, evidently.

When I went looking for the best place to live in America as a professional touring musician, between Richmond VA and RIGHT WHERE YOU LIVE was the solution I came up with. You are centrally located to go north south east or west to several major cities that have a music scene without more than a few hours of driving. Oh man, if I lived there I could go home more than once a month!?

And I think growing up in a small town is great for getting a band together. You don't have all the distractions and busyness of the big city, therefore band rehearsals become the only thing you can do. So do it.

Strive to be excellent at your craft and doors will suddenly start opening no matter where you live...but the good thing about your location is you can find a LOT more places within a day's drive from there than you could in say Texas or Utah.

Count your blessings and go for it, bro!

#217927 by Deadguitars
Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:32 pm
sanshouheil wrote:
Networking with individuals of like interest is the key factor.
You really have to physically put yourself out in the scene without your instrument first and develop contacts.

Best wishes.

This has worked for my band very well
I go to shows of the same genre for this reason .... build connections
We open up for the bigger local bands and have gotten some fest action
I know a lot of peps dog FBook but I use it to network ....
A lot of festivals have FBook pages ..... infiltrate bro
Good luck
TD
#217938 by kerry532073
Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:19 am
Thanks for the advice peeps. I had no idea but The Smashing Pumpkins stayed in Asheville for I while. I'll definitely look around that area.