This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Talk with other musicians and industry professionals.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#178887 by zack471585
Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:41 pm
Hey everyone

I’m so tired of playing in unmotivated bands! I recently quit my band year (of 2 years) because we weren’t really getting anywhere. We started off by playing every other week or so at a few local clubs, but turnouts were not so great and after a while I was the only one who was still really into pursuing music.

So I figure now I want to just focus on myself and start building my own music career instead (release my own music..record at home..etc). However, I’ve never been outside of a band situation so its like I’m almost starting over. I was thinking that I may need to get a manager or talent agent of some kind to help steer me in the right direction. Does anyone have experience working with these people? Does it help? Thanks!

#178896 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:20 pm
Unless one of these managers has approached you, don't go seeking them out. They'll take their 20% and leave you wondering what they're doing for the money.

Solo? Are you sure you're talented enough? Got the voice (and instrument skill?) to play 3 hours without going hoarse?
Got a plan for your musical career future? Don't rely on someone else to tell you what you want out of life.

I notice your profile doesn't have any details on who/what/where/how you are - no music posted, no influences, no nothing. If you want to get with other musicians who are serious, or start a serious career, you've got to learn to promote yourself.
#178951 by chalkguy
Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:47 pm
zack471585 wrote:I’m so tired of playing in unmotivated bands! I recently quit my band year (of 2 years) because we weren’t really getting anywhere. We started off by playing every other week or so at a few local clubs, but turnouts were not so great and after a while I was the only one who was still really into pursuing music.

I know how you feel! I’m in the same spot as you are right now. In most of my past bands it seemed that I was the only one who wanted to make a living out of playing shows and selling music. Everyone else was fine with just playing on the weekends and working 9-5 during the week. Don’t give up on it though since it sounds like you "do" want to do the band thing. You’ve just got to find other people who are as serious about music as you are. I’m still looking for great band mates myself, but I found something that has really helped me get on track: http://tomhess.net/HowToFindBandMembers.aspx

Check it out and it should help you as well.

#178956 by gbheil
Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:20 pm
I don't personally know either of you gents but I must ask ...

Perhaps it is you ?

Working 9-5 ( or 06:45 - 15:15 in my case ) is necessary to fulfill my family obligations. Does that mean I have no desire will or intent towards music as a total lifestyle? Absolutely not. It means I have goals plans to meet those goals and wisdom to understand it will not happen in my time but in Gods.

Yes ... I have days of frustration. But I find the more I communicate this as well as my needs / desires to other members of the band I find we have so much in common and thus can support each other spiritually as we progress towards our final destination.

Bands are "families" of a sort. You must communicate with one another and determine your wants needs and desires so you may focus on your commonality not your differences.

#179041 by bigguitarfan
Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:58 pm
Chalkguy is definitely onto something. I have worked with countless lazy musicians and it is SO frustrating…but you just got to push through and keep searching until you find the ones who are really dedicated.

#179053 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:39 pm
Perhaps it is you ?

I'm sure that it is you....and the other people in the band too.

Everyone has different goals, motivation, and commitment level so I'd say you are wise in preparing to go it alone.

If you can pull off a concert by yourself, you can always add a band later....but once you get to that point, why would you?

It's fun to play with a band...but not profitable.

You will need a large repertoire, and it would be best if you have a large catalogue of original songs that you can turn into CDs over the next few years. Though you should be seeking the best paying jobs, selling product is what will make or break you.

Of course you need a CD to justify having a merch table, but that table should have all kinds of items to sell like t-shirts, stickers, books, instructional videos, photos, pins, whatever you can sell.

And "a prophet is without honor in his own country" translates to "no one respects the local band".

You should identify every market within a day's drive of where you live and start building a contacts/references database. You need to leave town often and stay gone.

When you come home to play make sure that it's a well-promoted event, not just another gig

#183681 by Soundtrigger
Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:43 pm
As was said before, you need to learn to self promote. To show that you have in fact written and recorded your own material. Until you have done that, you can;t expect anyone else to take you seriously.

The bonuses of going solo area:

You can rely on yourself and noon else to slow you down

You can work out changes to our music without the hassle of translating those changes to anyone else or getting their cooperation

You do not have to worry about any members quitting the band and trying to claim that such and such songs are their property

You also don't have to worry that when x member leaves, that the remaining bandmates will suggest a new band name and that all previous material be abandoned because it was old bands property and its sanctity should be preserved

You only have to rely in just one person to show up and put in as many hours per week as you can imagine

It is much easier to create a piece of music when you can imagine it all in your head and you aren't hindered by other bandmates not understanding it or "not feeling it"

But there are many downsides also

#186470 by BamBam01
Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:56 pm
Zack - I was thinking about this while creating a profile on this site. I believe you can get anywhere your mind will take you. It is very tough to get out in musicians purgatory (I call it). That place between working with ppl who love music and want to play but for some reason can't commit and ppl who are committed and willing to make music a priority. If I can share something here a new way of evaluating band members. My instructor said this to me during last weeks lesson, working musicians only work with musicians and are not likely to start working with someone who is not established. Going solo - could be a way for you to show you dedication, courage, and commitment. So "God Speed"!!!!

#186672 by renae493589
Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:08 pm
If you are on this site, it's because you really care about music. Follow your dreams and f**k everything else. :)

#190507 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:47 pm
BamBam01 wrote:Zack - I was thinking about this while creating a profile on this site. I believe you can get anywhere your mind will take you. It is very tough to get out in musicians purgatory (I call it). That place between working with ppl who love music and want to play but for some reason can't commit and ppl who are committed and willing to make music a priority. If I can share something here a new way of evaluating band members. My instructor said this to me during last weeks lesson, working musicians only work with musicians and are not likely to start working with someone who is not established. Going solo - could be a way for you to show you dedication, courage, and commitment. So "God Speed"!!!!

Wow, this guy comes into the forum and posts a great truism, then never returns!

I've been discovering the same thing - its wasting my time trying to work with someone who is not established already - every person who contacted me from one of my ads and I have auditioned who did not have any music recorded or online has been wasting my time. It turns out to be more work than fun from minute 1 and instead of getting me somewhere, leaves me with less time to work on my own recordings.