This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Talk with other musicians and industry professionals.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#178558 by Sick Puppy
Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:12 am
It is my dream to produce my own music so I can reach out to others, emphasize with them, and make them feel good. However....I can't seem to form a stable band. I am having a hard time getting people to help me. Would uploading demos of the songs I wrote help at all you think? If yes, how do I go about making demos? Surely there is a music program I can use, right? I am a vocalist and song writer. On the stage (if I ever make it), I am the Sick Puppy or just Puppy for short. I am inspired by all kinds of music. I listen to a lot of Japanese metal often referred to as J-rock or Visual Kei, but I like many non-Japanese musicians too such as Michael Jackson, Parliament, Daft Punk, Missy Elliot, Average White Band, and so on. With all my different areas of inspiration and ideas I hope to creative my own unique sound and I know if I am given the chance that I can do this. In fact, the first song I ever wrote was inspired by a concert I went to. So any advice from my fellow musicians?

#178561 by gbheil
Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:56 am
Though we had no demos up when we built up NOISY KUNG FU that has evolved into JERICHO MARCH over the last six years. It would be my and most of the other working musicians whom I have visited with opinions that they would likely not even bother contacting someone whom had no examples of their wares available.
There are many variables between well intentioned musicians that might make or break a musical relationship. And there are WAY TOO MANY flat out flakes that must be avoided at all cost.
Thus an avenue to be somewhat selective about whom what and where we expend our monies and energy is a prerequisite.

So ... yes you must acquire the means to record your work and be able to post it on line as well as demo it before prospective project members.

Just how to go about it is subject matter for many threads as the possibilities and routes are nearly endless.

#178564 by Sick Puppy
Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:38 am
Alright, so I definitely need to make some demos. Uh.....any suggestions on a program to use. I heard of one called Cakewalk. Is that any good? I need something with instruments and anything else I need to make demos of my songs. And once I have gathered a band, we can re-make the song using real instruments.

#178687 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:06 pm
These days there are so many *musicians*/*singers* looking for others, that if you can't post examples of your work, you are unlikely to get much response.
If you are a singer only, then find someone to record some backing tracks for you, or just kareoke it to show your abilities.
If you're unfamiliar with home recording, there is a big learning curve, but if you use a MAC, you can start off with Garageband.

#178729 by gbheil
Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:06 pm
Sick Puppy wrote:Alright, so I definitely need to make some demos. Uh.....any suggestions on a program to use. I heard of one called Cakewalk. Is that any good? I need something with instruments and anything else I need to make demos of my songs. And once I have gathered a band, we can re-make the song using real instruments.

Sorry ... I'm just the trigger man. I leave most of the geek work to others more suited to the task.

#178785 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:36 pm
Sick Puppy wrote:Alright, so I definitely need to make some demos. Uh.....any suggestions on a program to use. I heard of one called Cakewalk. Is that any good? I need something with instruments and anything else I need to make demos of my songs. And once I have gathered a band, we can re-make the song using real instruments.

If you are not familiar with MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface), forget any DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) recording software for now. Look for 'Band in a box' or karaoke programs.

#178886 by zack471585
Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:36 pm
When I first started recording years ago I used Cakewalk Sonar. It’s pretty straightforward…a good place to start if you are not used to using recording software.

#179299 by ArtS
Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:38 pm
Sonar Home Studio 4 is what I use. Pretty nice features and very intuitive. In other words, easy for musicians. 8)