This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Talk with other musicians and industry professionals.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#39928 by Starfish Scott
Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:38 pm
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL@ the clubfoot remark..

PS: a virgin mudslide is tasty. Booze doesn't make everything better, you just think it does. LOL

#40126 by Kaleb Trail
Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:47 pm
philbymon:

I wasn't trying to sound like christian musicians are "holier than thou" or anything. I just get really fired up when I hear people question christian musicians. Most of the time, people claim this without ever hearing the good stuff. People tend to hear one or two artists or songs and use that to simplify the whole christian community. If anybody does have an open mind about it, check out the bands I have listed below. Each have their own unique style, and powerful lyrics. I will even write down some songs. And to the one questioning why there isn't buddah music or islam rock or whatever. Christian music has been apart of christianity clear back in David's time. Read the book of psalms which literally, means "songs." David was an awesome musician who was requested to play for the king. Music is a way we can express our love and devotion to the one who laid down his life for us. Like secular music writes about things that are troubling them, bothering them, or things that they love, hate, or whatever. Christians do the same. Anyway, Check out these bands and their following songs. And try to listen to the songs to get the full effect of the music. I am sure you won't like every single song, but at least keep an open mind to people who do.

Lincoln Brewster - Let the Praises Ring (guitar solo starting @ 2:41)
Lincoln Brewster - All to You (guitar solo starting 2:24)
Lincoln is a singer, songwriter and guitarist. He is by far the guitarist best in the christian world, and maybe the whole music world. He "beat boxes" on his guitar on the song "all to you" @ 2:44

MercyMe - Any Song
Switchfoot - Any Song
Third Day - Any Song (if you like southern/classic rock, you will like these guys)
Kutless - Strong Tower
Newsboys - He Reigns
Newsboys - Shine
Newsboys - I am Free

#40180 by gbheil
Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:15 am
Noisy Kung Fu ! 8)

#40248 by philbymon
Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:10 pm
KT - do you go to the Living Room? They have a great setup for music & musicians. I just noticed you're about 15 miles from me.

Wanna play some secular stuff?

Ok - I checked out the stuff you listed. Lotsa emo-ish sounding things. Probably fun to play. Not anything that really grabs me, but I'm a little weird that way. Very good musicianship. Good strong melodies, & I like that. Excellent vocals as well.

That Lincoln Brewster guy is a very good guitarist. Probably fun to work with, if you can get him to shut up & PLAY more ( I watched some of his live stuff on youtube, & he talks WAY too much, imo.)

So, is there any of that art rock that I love so much in your preferred genre? I'd like to be a little more surprized, is all, when I listen to music.

I can see how this would appeal to the masses, though. It's catchy, easy to remember, with the usual messages inherent in any religious music save Buddhist, with its naturally more humanistic approach to lyrics.

#40278 by Starfish Scott
Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:37 pm
I go to "the bathroom."

(hears the sound of thunder)

Sorry (makes symbol of the cross)

I'm out.. lol

#40396 by Kaleb Trail
Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:31 pm
philbymon:

Actually, there are some older christian bands you might like.
Check out Pedro the Lion, or Petra.

And for more folksy, acousticy, "art" type rock stuff stuff...check out Jars of Clay.

I have visited The Living Room a few times. I have never played there.
I do play in the area though.

#40437 by philbymon
Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:44 pm
KT - I was thinking more along the lines of Marillion, Genesis, Camel, Klaatu, Yes, Jethro Tull, Caravan - that's what I meant by "art rock."

I've heard Petra, a long time ago, & I thought they were pretty good.

Never liked Stryper, or however ya spell it. They just seemed silly to me. I noticed you didn't mention them, either.

I've heard Jars Of Clay, & they aren't awful at all.

Pedro the Lion? Sounds like a kid's cartoon...LOL...I'll look 'em up.

#41248 by Kaleb Trail
Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:30 pm
philbymon:

I would like a chance to talk to you. Alot of people seem to miss the whole concept behind christianity. They look at it like it is a practice based on tradition, and liturgical things. It's not.
I would like to ask you a few questions and you can just think about them. I now know that you are open minded to suggestion.

Have you ever lied?
If you have, then the word that is used, is "you are a liar."
I am guilty of it, myself.

Have you ever stole anything?
If you have, then this means "you are a thief"
Again, I am guilty of it myself.

Have you ever used God's name in vain? Another words, used his name to curse? LIke G** Da** or something like that?
If you have, then the bible says you are a blasphemor. Excuse my spelling. I am guilty of this myself.

And finally, have you ever lusted on a woman? I don't know if you are married or not, but if you look on a woman (other than your wife) with lust, that is sexual thoughts, then the bible calls you an adulteror. Again, I have done this, and am guilty of it.

The bible goes on to say that no adulturer, blasphemous, lying thiefs could ever go through the gates of heaven. So the punishment is eternal damnation in hell. The bible also says that not one person is worthy, or free from sin. Not one. We have all done these awful things that will never get us through to heaven, eternal bliss.

Imagine if you were on trial for all of these crimes if they were felonies in america. And as soon as the judge was about to hit his gavel and give you life in prison, a man stepped in and said, no, I will take all of the responsibility, and I will take all of the weight from his crimes. SOund crazy?

This is exactly what christ did on the cross. He was the only perfect person to ever walk. He is the son of God. He died so that you could freely ask God for forgiveness, whenever you feel like you have sinned and would fall short of the glory of God should you die.
John 3:16 says "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, so that we SHOULD NOT PERISH, but have EVERLASTING LIFE! It is only through christ we can make it to heaven, and only through christ we are saved. Only through him will your soul be satisfied.

I don't know you from adam, and your relationship with God is none of my business. It is my duty to tell other people that there is a name above all names and a Lord of all Lords that will surely save you.

That's all for now. Take it as you may. The only reason I put this one here, was because Jesus cares for you. He loves you. And I felt it was my responsibility to remind you of who he is, and what he has done for you.

#41278 by philbymon
Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:44 am
Kaleb, I'd be willing to talk, but you have to remember that I have my own view, my own beliefs, that I am just as passionate about as you are your own. I'd play christian music, too, if the money was right & the music was good, but that's cuz I'm just a music slut. Don't expect me to change my beliefs, though. I'm rather firmly set in them, & they're working for me.

So are you playing anything anywhere? If so, let me know & I'll come to hear ya. I should be having some local gigs soonly. Stay tuned & I'll let you know when & where.
#44630 by UBERVOX
Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:52 pm
My personal comments on this subject are as long as you know who
and what you are in Christ, you shouldn't be confused about Music
Styles. Remember some of the greatest well known Musicians of our
time were also Christians who performed both Spiritual and Secular
Music: Classical Composer Bach, Johnny Cash, Elvis, etc.

I'm a Christian, my page here mainly contains the Trance-Ambient-Synth
melodies I've composed, but I do have some Spirituals in me that I
plan to Compose soon.

Your Friend, Brian(UBERVOX)

:D

#44966 by jjhamilt
Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:57 pm
I played in a Christian Rock band and we played mostly clubs and the like. I can't tell you how many gigs we've had where people from the audience would come talk to us after the show about how the music touched them and some even rededicated or felt convicted. Simply amazing. That's God for you. That was my confirmation and how I knew we were doing the lord's work. The band is Spiritual Octane.

I'm on my own as a solo act, JJ Hamilton. I'll play anywhere, anytime, to anyone as the Lord leads because that is my ministry. Jesus didn't just teach in the synagoges, he spent most of his time ministering to the sick and lost. We shouldn't be judging others that don't fit "our" rule of music or musicianship. That would be God's job. We should encourage others and minister to our brothers and sisters if we feel they may be mislead or misleading others. But that's takes diligent prayer and seeking the lord, as well as listening for his direction or word.

However, Praise and worship songs would not fare well in a bar as Metal would probably not go over well in a church service (unless it's a rock'n'roll church or youth service).

God Bless you all who are doing work for His Glory, not matter what you play.

myspace.com/jjhamilton
myspace.com/spiritualoctane

#53002 by matias
Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:06 am
Hi, I am a Christian singer and I'm looking for gigs or opportunities to perform around where I live, in Bellingham, Washington. I would love to possibly join up with another Christian band, but it needs to be local to where I live. I work full-time, but have Friday-Sundays off. I feel I need an outlet in using the gift God has given me; are there any Christian musicians or bands in Whatcom County(Washington) that you know of, or if you live in that area could you suggest what might be some possible gigs to sing at? I do both traditional hymns and contemporary Christian music. I have only sung on praise teams at my church or at nursing homes, but I want to take my talent beyond that. :roll:

#54850 by gary21
Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:33 pm
i know this is going to stir up a hornet's nest but,
since i know first hand that most churches expect musicians to play gratis.
im amazed at that. sure if you have a day gig, you feel like you should give something back to the one who gave you your talent.
but why is it that all of the church budget is designated to the pastor.
of course his function is first and formost but, music is a very powerfull
means of comunicating the word of god also.
there are alot of exelent starving musicians out ther who happen to be christians also.
the church needs to offer some sort of salary to dedicated christian musicians
ive seen churches with budgets and assets worth millions and they usually
designate most of these funds to building a bigger better chuch.
and little attention is given to sound equipment and or musicians salarie's
i would love to be a full time musician in a church that appreciates
the level of work and commitment a musician must contribute.
#54854 by CRUTCH
Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:51 pm
There are many churches paying musicians.
You have to search around because there are a few still believe in not paying you.

When I started out I didn't get paid or all my brother's. After a while other pastor's or church musicians heard me and offers started coming in.

Use the free time now for perfecting your craft then other's will take notice and you will get paid by one church or the other. Don't get greedy or the Lord will send another to replace you for lot less and more experience.

Keep in mind I'm trying to bring over 1 million musicians to Orlando to jam, network, and meet one another.
Keep me in prayer and God bless everyone!

Crutch
#55066 by Ron 412
Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:29 pm
I am starting a contemporary Christian band in SLC. Not to try to take a spiritual high ground, our plans are to just play for love offerings unless we ever actually got a "break" into the industry. None of us can afford to quit our day jobs. We all play in our church's worship orchestras, and we enjoy giving back to God out of the talent that He has allowed us to develop through the years, kinda part of our weekly offering. We all write music, and I suppose that if anything ever caught on that we would entertain the idea of recording and actually getting paid (for real), but as it is we are more interested in rallying the evangelical Christian community in Utah and promoting regular events where the Christian community can share their joy in our faith. Although we consider ourselves to be a "working band" as opposed to a sanctified "Rita Rocks" (ha ha) our focus is more of a ministry focus instead of touring. Blessings to all who sling their ax's for the Lord!

CRUTCH wrote:There are many churches paying musicians.
You have to search around because there are a few still believe in not paying you. When I started out I didn't get paid or all my brother's. After a while other pastor's or church musicians heard me and offers started coming in.

Use the free time now for perfecting your craft then other's will take notice and you will get paid by one church or the other. Don't get greedy or the Lord will send another to replace you for lot less and more experience.

Keep in mind I'm trying to bring over 1 million musicians to Orlando to jam, network, and meet one another.
Keep me in prayer and God bless everyone!

Crutch