This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Talk with other musicians and industry professionals.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#154655 by RhythmMan-2
Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:39 pm
For those of you who have copyrighted songs before - you'll be happy to learn that the current delay in the Library of Congress has dropped back to 3 months.
That's if you're usung the eCo (the web), to submit.
This is as of last night (I just submitted my 67th song; I've done this before)
Over the years I've watched the delay, starting at 3 months, which I thought was a long time.
Then it climberd to 6 months, 9 months . . .
For a while I was submitting songs where there was a 2 YEAR wait for a copyright! No joke: 2 years.
Anyway (to make a short story long); they finally fixed it.
So now you can dig out all those songs you've been meaning to copyright, and 'have at it.'

#155839 by fisherman bob
Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:16 am
Thanks for the info...

#155898 by gbheil
Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:20 am
fisherman bob wrote:Thanks for the info...

x2

Still trying to convince the boys that this is a good investment for the bands future.
#156840 by PaperDog
Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:39 am
RhythmMan - guest wrote:For those of you who have copyrighted songs before - you'll be happy to learn that the current delay in the Library of Congress has dropped back to 3 months.
That's if you're usung the eCo (the web), to submit.
This is as of last night (I just submitted my 67th song; I've done this before)
Over the years I've watched the delay, starting at 3 months, which I thought was a long time.
Then it climberd to 6 months, 9 months . . .
For a while I was submitting songs where there was a 2 YEAR wait for a copyright! No joke: 2 years.
Anyway (to make a short story long); they finally fixed it.
So now you can dig out all those songs you've been meaning to copyright, and 'have at it.'

According the Lib Of Congress, your work is protected the minute its registered (filed) with that office, online or on site. (Even if you have to wait 2 years for the cert) .

But it is nice to know they reduced the wait time for that.

#157018 by RhythmMan-2
Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:13 pm
Yeah, the way it actually works is like this:
Say that I send my song to them today, 11-2-11.
It sits in their computer for 3 months, in a backlog.
Then, 3 months later, 3-1-2012, they open it and register it and all.
Your effective date of copyright is 11-2-11.
This also applies to copyrights that are mailed in (IF you qualify for that), except that your effective date of copyright is the day they recieve it in the mail, which varies from 1 - to a few days or so, depending on where you live.
Also - while on the subject of mailing for copyright purposes: No - if you mail your song to yourself as a "poor man's copyright," (and don't open it) it will NOT stand up in any court of law.
#158034 by RhythmMan-2
Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:32 am
I just got the copyrights back on the 4 songs I sent in on Sept 28.
That's the fastest, yet.