This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Talk with other musicians and industry professionals.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#153100 by Double B Music
Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:28 pm
Any musicians out there that know how to get the single coil hum off a recording? I have a solo that has a lot of noise from the pickup and need to get it out as much as possible so it isn't so noticeable in the mix. Any help is appreciated.

If this is the wrong place for this please let me know. Thanks!
#153113 by RGMixProject
Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:50 pm
Double B Music wrote:Any musicians out there that know how to get the single coil hum off a recording? I have a solo that has a lot of noise from the pickup and need to get it out as much as possible so it isn't so noticeable in the mix. Any help is appreciated.

If this is the wrong place for this please let me know. Thanks!

Without re-recording the track use a parametric equlizer to isolate the frequency the hum is coming from and knotch that narrow frequency band down.

#153115 by Double B Music
Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:00 pm
Thanks! I will give that a go.

#153152 by JamieSeekingHousematesFor
Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:44 pm
That will work to an extent though any harmonics generated will not be removed plus it will alter the sound of the guitar too (not significantly if done well).

Are you on pc or mac?
And do you have any audio of the hum recorded before the solo starts?

I'm on mac and have used Izotope extensively (though I don't own it).
Soundtrack Pro has a built in noise and hum removal tool.

If you're willing to send it my way, I can remove it pretty easily for you. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes :)