This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Talk with other musicians and industry professionals.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#146718 by Etu Malku
Tue May 17, 2011 2:18 pm
Greetings fellow musicians,

I have been entertaining the idea of reaching out to the Film, TV, Documentary industry, but can't for the life of me find a way to get a foot in this door . . . any suggestions?

EM
#146724 by RGMixProject
Tue May 17, 2011 3:36 pm
Etu Malku wrote:Greetings fellow musicians,

I have been entertaining the idea of reaching out to the Film, TV, Documentary industry, but can't for the life of me find a way to get a foot in this door . . . any suggestions?

EM

Taxi.com
#146725 by Etu Malku
Tue May 17, 2011 3:50 pm
RGMixProject wrote:
Etu Malku wrote:Greetings fellow musicians,

EM

Taxi.com
Don't you 'bid' on the opportunities listed?
Ok I just read about Taxi . . . $300 a year and you pay to submit your music to the opportunities . . . then the Taxi staff forward what they think is most relevant.

#146731 by Jahva
Tue May 17, 2011 5:18 pm
(In case you missed this on the other thread)

Never had much interest in pursuing that direction but I believe your publishing company would have a division for TV/Movies/Soundtrack kinda stuff...
I saw on the ASCAP website they have a seminar coming up
ASCAP TV/Film Scoring Workshop with Richard Bellis -
So... my .02.
http://www.ascap.com/filmtv/

#146733 by Etu Malku
Tue May 17, 2011 5:34 pm
Jahva wrote:(In case you missed this on the other thread)

Never had much interest in pursuing that direction but I believe your publishing company would have a division for TV/Movies/Soundtrack kinda stuff...
I saw on the ASCAP website they have a seminar coming up
ASCAP TV/Film Scoring Workshop with Richard Bellis -
So... my .02.
http://www.ascap.com/filmtv/
Ha . . . I never thought to check into that . . . thanks Jahva!

#149427 by Jahva
Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:34 pm
Don't know if you're familiar with ourstage but it can be a good resource as well. This relates to your subject... however, an hour of your time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAcDAHKHfqc

#149479 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:54 pm
Taxi.com has helped a LOT of people get their music placed and many of them are now full-time songwriters. I can't recommend them highly enough.

But posers need not apply. You are competing with songwriters from around the world who are good, who are serious, and can put a recording together in a matter of days (if not hours) so you better be a self-motivated pro that can take direction and get the job done.

That's why they charge $300 per year and another $5 per submission, to weed out those who aren't really serious about a career in songwriting/recording/music.

#149484 by Etu Malku
Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:43 pm
yod wrote:Taxi.com has helped a LOT of people get their music placed and many of them are now full-time songwriters. I can't recommend them highly enough.

But posers need not apply. You are competing with songwriters from around the world who are good, who are serious, and can put a recording together in a matter of days (if not hours) so you better be a self-motivated pro that can take direction and get the job done.

That's why they charge $300 per year and another $5 per submission, to weed out those who aren't really serious about a career in songwriting/recording/music.
I don't like the bidding process, the submission fees, and that $300 yearly subscription.

I've heard a lot of nightmare stories about Taxi

Right now I'm looking into where Indie film makers might hang out

Thanks Yod!

#149492 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:20 pm
Etu Malku wrote:
I've heard a lot of nightmare stories about Taxi

Right now I'm looking into where Indie film makers might hang out

Thanks Yod!

You are most welcome!

Since you're close to NYC it shouldn't be too hard to find indie film-makers. I'd plan on a trip to Tribeca Film Festival (put on by Deniro) with some thumbdrives full of material to pass out. Heck, I'd start checking out film schools in NYC right now.

But why limit yourself to one avenue? Anyone who has horror stories about TAXI simply couldn't compete. I've got a few friends who are doing very well with TAXI. I've never used it but one of the founding partners is a close friend of mine so I hear about the inner workings.

I've also got a friend in Germany who placed 13 songs through TAXI with films and jingle producers in just his first month. The royalties took a couple of years but they are rolling in now.

There is another song/artist placement service I've been seeing lately you might want to check out called Music Xray.

#149501 by Etu Malku
Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:28 pm
You're right, I shouldn't let any hearsay distract from my own experiences, perhaps I will consider Taxi, and I will look into Music XRay.

Good thinking with the Tribeca Film fest as well as hitting the Film Schools

Thank you
EM

#149946 by RhythmMan-2
Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:47 pm
Yod said, " But posers need not apply. You are competing with songwriters from around the world who are good, who are serious, and can put a recording together in a matter of days (if not hours) so you better be a self-motivated pro that can take direction and get the job done.

That's why they charge $300 per year and another $5 per submission, to weed out those who aren't really serious about a career in songwriting/recording/music."

I want to point out that there are folks who are good, serious, can put a song together in days . . . who still cannot afford the $300, regardless.
$300 is maybe just a drop in the bucket for them, but all it makes them is a rich man's organization.
Talent is not governed by one's bank account.

#149947 by Etu Malku
Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:01 pm
Not only is there an annual fee, and you have to submit a bidding fee, but your music is subjectively screened by a TAXI personnel who then judges if it is what the client is looking for.

When you become a TAXI member you can submit your music to these opportunities. Our experts will carefully listen to, and pre-screen each song. The best and most appropriate are forwarded to the Record Label, Music Publisher, or Music Supervisor that requested the material.

Lately I've been hitting Indie Film forums and talking with film peeps around my area . . . no bites yet.

#149955 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:35 pm
I want to point out that there are folks who are good, serious, can put a song together in days . . . who still cannot afford the $300, regardless.
$300 is maybe just a drop in the bucket for them, but all it makes them is a rich man's organization.
Talent is not governed by one's bank account.

who was talking about talent???

We're talking about business and the reality is that everyone in business has to make an investment to compete. If you really think you "have the goods" then you will spend less on video games and movies until you come up with the cash. If you are the least bit unsure of your ability to compete, you won't. Hence the point of the $300 fee.

your music is subjectively screened by a TAXI personnel who then judges if it is what the client is looking for.

There is a submission fee of $5 per song which keeps people from submitting songs that aren't applicable to the listing. That separates the serious from the shotgunner.

More than that, they are well-informed professionals who critique and tell you what each song needs to be successful. This part of TAXI is invaluable for a song writer who needs education or help. Even if you spent $300 a year for 5 years it would be cheaper than a college education, or moving to LA or NYC to pound the streets.

It's all about attitude and ability.

#149970 by Etu Malku
Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:53 pm
After thinking about this and talking to several people who are trying to 'break in' as well as some that are 'in' (ending with a nice long talk with Howard Shore who lives about 45 min from me) I've concluded, with the help of Mr. Shore, that just like the Studio scene, film composers, commercial composers (which are actually the ad agencies) etc. are a tightly knit clique.

It's not what you know, it's who you know.

This concept reminds me of the years I spent as a hired touring guitarist, I got almost all of my jobs by being at the right party and getting 'recommended'.

#149983 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:58 pm
Etu Malku wrote:It's not what you know, it's who you know.

This concept reminds me of the years I spent as a hired touring guitarist, I got almost all of my jobs by being at the right party and getting 'recommended'.

tru dat

It's that way in any kind of business you could mention though.

Which is why I recommended TAXI. They actually get phone calls from the people you need to know, asking for new music every day.

They have established relationships and credibility with the people who are looking for what you are selling. Yes, it would be better if you had a way to make those relationships yourself without anyone's help...but if you don't....they are a credible alternative method.