This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Talk with other musicians and industry professionals.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#5463 by treejackson
Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:52 pm
:twisted: Yes, sad to say but it is the truth, I have about 22 songs on the market, and one record company has failed to send me statements concerning my songs that I submitted to them, .. everytime I call the administrator of copyrights she tell's me a different story, last week I called, she said the computers were down, on and on. It's beginng to mess with me. any idea's how I can catch this fox ?

#5473 by gexclamationpoint
Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:37 pm
why did you keep sending them songs after you didnt get royalties for the first few?

check the contract, i guess.

or if you want to show them youre serious, take a trip over to company HQ.

#5480 by treejackson
Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:53 pm
g! wrote:why did you keep sending them songs after you didnt get royalties for the first few?

check the contract, i guess.

or if you want to show them youre serious, take a trip over to company HQ.

UNDERSTAND WHAT I WROTE: 22 song's on the market, did not say I continued sending material to them, they got a few, and no more. my performing rights Org whom I am affiliate with and a few other record companines treat me really good and take care business, these are the guy's that i am steadfast with. Like I said it's a rat that I'm gonna catch.

#5528 by JAZZMINE
Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:17 am
hey ,bro it sounds like the people you are dealing with are not being up front with you and if it is bothering you go with your gut ,first question is the co. you are dealing with a publishing co? #2 did you purchase a bar code so you can track your sales, if so try talking to sombody, at BMI or ASCAP , if you become a member they will help you! did you sign a contract with them? ask an attorney for a consultation or maybe a discriptive letter of a possible copy write infringement ! hope this helps, it bothers all of so you are not alone we are with you ! a professional co will always contact you after all we are their bread and big ass salary! later
#11539 by Danielstevens2002
Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:39 pm
Hey man I just read what you had posted on here. The main thing which of course I am sure you have is your copywrite. Did you send it to the library of congress or what is a poor mans copywrite?

If you have the copywrite and the paperwork showing that SAID company got X amount of songs from SAID writer then you should be able to take it to any court system in the United States and have them forced to respond to your request.

It should not cost you an arm and a leg to do this either. You can represent yourself as long as YOU have the proper paperwork showing they have your material and they are using it without paying you your royalties.

As is in most cases individuals who are in promarily the songwriting buisness they normally have an entertainment lawyer or at least a leagle aid that can help them in times of chrisis such as this.

I dont' know if you have representation or not but it is not a bad idea to find one and have them review your case. You do not have to have them represent you if you do not want them to. I think it's just a civil case nothing more. Most of those you can just be yoru own rep.

If you do not have all of the paperwork for when they purchased or well aquired the songs then hopefully you have the copywrite information. The copywrite is the most important information you can have. That will almost automatically guarantee you success in finding this silver fox in the snow.

It happens alot dear friend. There was a young girl on TNN a LONG time ago she had 20 #1 songs in the country billboards but she recieved no compensation for them. She did not know the process in which to get paid for the material so she relied on handshakes and words.

It would be great if people had that much Integrity to just use a word and a hand shake to prove they are honest people but sadly in this day and age the mighty dollar causes there integrity to dwindle with each cent they earn.

Also you may want to get into contact with the Manafement of the Artists tha thave used your material. They will have copies of the paperwork as well seeing that there performer is going to have had a contract that states that he is only the performer in the material and not the SONGWRITER.

Check with everyone that has had dealings with your material. If what you say is true and I do give you the benefit of the doubt then somewhere within all of the Artists and the company there should be paperwork that states that YOU are the SONGWRITER/ARTIST or PUBLISHER of said songs.

I know this is alot lol. I am sorry but I am rabbid about the music industry and music in general. I hate seeing good people get stepped on like this. It's bad enough that record companies are able to sign artists as a work for hire and not let them keep there material it's even worse when they have a WELL to continually get material from and they steal from it.

I am sorry for what has happened to you my friend I know that you are not hurting because you have other labels that are kind to you but you should definatley track this bastards down and give them what for.

Take it easy man and keep posting in here and let us know how it goes.

:D
#11540 by Danielstevens2002
Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:53 pm
Are you represented by BMI or ASCAP or any of those guy,s? If so I know for a fact they should have paperwork on what is going on. Unless you are idipendent.

If you don't use one of those companies to get your music out there then make damn sure you stay in constant contact with the labels A&R department. If it is still not getting you anywhere then I would save up the money and go to the SAID record label. Plan to stay for at least 2 weeks.

They will give you the run around for about 4 days then when they see you aren't leaving they will know that you mean buisness and they will have to start looking for the paperwork that shows that they purchased and or they owe you the royalties for the pieces of work.

The hard part after that is the math when it comes to works being delayed for more then 2 years. They will give you a number as to what they owe you BUT don't jump on it right away. Make sure you have done the math and that you know how much they are worth with backpay.

Have all of that information before you fly out there. Make sure you have it down to the last cent. If what they offer is more then what your calculations have come up with then that is a good thing BUT make sure that they have it written down that you will continue to recieve the royalties or else you will have just sold your songs right out instead of keeping them.

They do that ALOT with people. Especially those that are indipendent without representation. It wouldn't be a bad idea if you haven't already done this to get in with BMI or ASCAP. They always keep records of songs that are sold to companies and you can manage your own publishing on there website. This way you keep tabs on everything that goes in and out of your own publishing.

Admitted they get a piece of the pie but then again who doesn't in this industry. It's just a fail safe that will keep your material and the companies that want it in check.

Anyway that is all the info I have right now brother. Hopefully it will help you in the long run. I know it has to be hard and nerve racking but remember sometimes you have to be the fox in order to catch one.

#42751 by Bambamvdrumr
Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:10 am
Ever heard of "Re-coopment"? Maybe they haven't made the money back they payed out to market your stuff,...or,...no offense, but is it possible your stuff is just not making any money?

If I am way off course here I apologize. I don't mean to offend you.

But it is something to consider.

Otherwise,.....get a lawyer to look into it.

Bambamvdrumr.

#57736 by Pat Chesser
Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:45 am
Don't fool around with these people. If they get away with this with you, they'll try it with others. Hire an attorney (they'll usually take a percentage of what they recover) and go after them the right way. Doing it on your own could result in a "black list" for you.

#58146 by Spiritinthesky
Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:22 pm
You have to chase these people all the time, bad news.