This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Talk with other musicians and industry professionals.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#121548 by Janet_F
Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:41 am
Hollywood, CA (PRWEB) August 24, 2010--When you see the name GoodnightKiss.com, you might think it's a site that deals with romance, but if you're in the music industry, or want to be, you just might want to check it out.

Janet Fisher, the owner of the company, is a music producer and songwriter herself. Her informative site posts great tips on how to find success in the music business for those seeking careers in songwriting or composing. The music placement and library portion of Goodnight Kiss handles song and master use licensing of quality songs and music for movies, television, and ad campaigns. She gives her readers a chance to participate in these industry requests, whenever appropriate.

Fisher asks for a certain type of song and the subscribers to her newsletter or readers at her site send in that particular type of song or music. She doesn't accept unsolicited materials that are sent to her, just the particular requests that she is interested in at the moment.

"That's why we have the online newsletter," she recently said at an interview in San Francisco. "It's the only way to let the 6,000 songwriters who subscribe know what we need immediately. In the part of the industry I'm in, we have very specific deadlines. Once they are over, they are over, so the Internet is our best bet for timely communication."

Although there is a miniscule charge for a subscription ($7 per year) for the newsletter, any subsequent pitches for requested materials are free, with no charge to the writer or artist to present their work. The news also contains software recommendations and other resources for the subscribers. There is a very educational Q&A section at the bottom of every issue. Fisher is known for not pulling any punches about the reality of the business, and doesn't disguise how hard it is to make a living from original music. There is also a free version of the newsletter (sans song requests), for anyone who cannot afford the $7 per year fee.
Over the course of the year, Fisher hosts various gatherings and projects to get her readers more directly involved in applying themselves and their material to paid uses. A recent example is a set of weekends where she held free phone conferences with her readers, giving them a chance to have their music or lyrics critiqued and get feedback from each other.

Her bio is long and diverse, and those who learn from her seem more than satisfied. She consults with producers, directors and others regarding the legal aspects of licensing music, and counsels many writers and musicians about how they can get their careers to a more visible level. She produces both live and recorded music and shows.

Testimonials from the Goodnight Kiss site are many and sincere. A gentleman from Australia writes, "I stumbled upon your article 'Don't dream it! Do it!' by absolute accident in a weird set of circumstances, and amazingly you bring up some issues that I'm in fact dealing with right at this moment."

Another writers states, "It seems to me you have it exactly right: open to new material although not necessarily all types all of the time; enthusiastically encouraging and demanding artistry, though stating baldly the market and competitive realities.

Your advice to songwriters on how to proceed is impeccable. My detector registers an absolute zero (bs)* factor, and that is all too rare, especially in this business. The way you approach things seems to me to be objectively true. Keep it up!"

A musician writes, "Thank you for your plea for integrity as the music industry grooves onward in this internet age...Let us endure with passion and patience."

The Goodnight Kiss label has physical CDs distributed by CDBaby.com, where free samples of the songs are hosted. There are also downloads of the albums or single songs available at I-Tunes. Subscriptions to the music business newsletter are available by visiting the link: http://www.goodnightkiss.com/subsc.html
Making contacts within the industry is often said to be the most difficult part of the music business. Goodnight Kiss Music makes that contact a little easier.

Mary A. Wagner
# # # #

Janet Fisher
Goodnight Kiss Music (BMI)
Phone: (808) 331-0707
http://www.goodnightkiss.com/

#121555 by Starfish Scott
Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:48 am
Sure you aren't talking about yourself in the 3rd person?

I mean, that's par for the course here..