This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Talk with other musicians and industry professionals.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#130364 by fisherman bob
Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:14 am
You're definitely NOT an asshole for saying ANYTHING that you FREELY do on this forum. I have learned a lot from your contributions to this forum and also your Bandmix messages to me personally on my profile, Alan. We may or may not agree with everything you say but you have experience in matters that I do not and I appreciate your input here. The copywrite issue is a frustrating one for many people. The system is what it is, and like it or not it IS the best legal protection for one's creative works. It's too bad we can't sue foreign countries, especially China, who have a gigantic black market industry selling our copywritten works without paying one thin dime to the artists whose works they pirate. If any of you feel you have a possible huge hit on your hands that you have created then copywriting it is pretty much a necessary evil. It may be like winning the lottery but someday your song might be worth a fortune, you never know...

#130376 by RhythmMan
Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:19 am
Sans, I didn't mean to get on your case.

#130419 by gbheil
Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:00 pm
Not at all RM, we're cool.

Just simply pointing out that anything can happen in a jury trial.

#134653 by auggies voices
Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:27 am
Yes it may take up to 6 months but your copy write is legal upon date on the stamp it was mailed out ... and that is what is recorded.

Thank you, good night.
TinMaN.

#134677 by RhythmMan
Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:13 pm
By the way . . . forms PA and SR are essentially discontinued, unless you have a 'special case,' which you'd discussed with them. If you now need to use form PA or SR, they will MAIL it to you.
I just copyrighted three more songs, last night. The current estimated delay for web-based submissions is 5 - 9 months.
Some web - based submission ("ECO") still required you to ALSO mail in two copies of the songs.
If you do mail in 2 copies, you need to send them in the THICK jewel cases, to help ensure that they survive the bomb/pathogen scanning processes . . .
And Please, please - no more people telling me that "All you have to do" is mail it to yourself; that'll never hold up in a cout of law. I don't have time to explain why - do your own research.
And by the way - if there is ever litigation concerning your song - guess what the first thing you have to do is?
You have to copyright it.
. . . before the court even hears your case. They won't waste time; the first question is "Who holds the copyright on this song?"
And - better hope that the guy who stole your song didn't copyright it first - because then it's legally his creation.

#134851 by RhythmMan
Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:41 am
auggies voices wrote:Yes it may take up to 6 months but your copy write is legal upon date on the stamp it was mailed out ... and that is what is recorded. TinMaN.

I'm pretty sure they claim it takes effect on the day they get it, not the day you mail it, might be a few days difference there, depending on where you live . . .
- but close enough, considering the mail-in delay is about 2 years, currently.