This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Talk with other musicians and industry professionals.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#90216 by philbymon
Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:18 pm
LMAO

He left out 8.) Insult your fans ^ call them things like "m'f'ers" at every opportunity. It worked for Grolsh, didn't it?

#90232 by Starfish Scott
Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:30 pm
You have to wait till they are pretty liquored up to call them mfers, but "you can do it"! lol

#90315 by gbheil
Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:12 pm
I printed that for myself and the band.
Thanks Alan!

#90408 by fisherman bob
Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:58 am
Thanks for sharing, I made this one of my favorite websites. I wonder what percent of musicians and bands have absolutely NO marketing strategy whatsoever? I've seen some incredible bands that played in front of practically nobody. Makes you wonder if marketing is more important than the music...

#90699 by RhythmMan
Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:05 am
fisherman bob wrote:. . . Makes you wonder if marketing is more important than the music...

Bob, one might be a phenomenal musician - but without the marketing, he'd probably not get far.
Yet - our attitudes are even more important than the ability to play good music and to market it.
One could be a genious in music, and a wiz in marketing - but if no one likes you, and no one wants to work with you - for whatever reason -then one might as well work in a factory.

#90725 by Starfish Scott
Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:25 pm
Some are smart enough to only think the bad things they'd like to say or be strategic about WHEN you drop the proverbial bomb.

Else if you don't like something, it's a better strategy to just try and get through without saying much at all, being that you are in PUBLIC.

After we're done, we usually go to a local diner and THEN we really bitch about what was good and what wasn't.

#90872 by fisherman bob
Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:03 pm
RhythmMan wrote:
fisherman bob wrote:. . . Makes you wonder if marketing is more important than the music...

Bob, one might be a phenomenal musician - but without the marketing, he'd probably not get far.
Yet - our attitudes are even more important than the ability to play good music and to market it.
One could be a genious in music, and a wiz in marketing - but if no one likes you, and no one wants to work with you - for whatever reason -then one might as well work in a factory.
I'll never win a Miss Congeniality award, that's for sure. I do know one thing, I expect people to WORK together to get a band moving forward. And that includes promotion and marketing. It's not enough any more to just get enough material together and gig. There has to be more involved. That means constant rehearsal. That means getting a promo package together. That means everybody in the band doing a little to help promote the band. You can bitch and moan until you're blue in the face but if you're all not on the same page WORKING towards bettering your product you may as well stay home and vegetate...

#90951 by gbheil
Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:47 pm
I'll never win a Miss Congeniality award

Maybe thats why the boys wont let me have a mic? 8)

#90961 by Southernboy
Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:26 pm
LMAO ROFFL!!!!

#91758 by Black57
Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:28 pm
One thing for sure, it takes a lot of work and energy to be in our business.
It takes a lot of kindness, if I may use that word here :wink: it takes a lot of tongue biting and team work. My favorite suggestion was failure to promote yourself at all times. That is not the exact words but it is the aspect. I think that is why, when I can afford an agent, we must be on the same page and they must help me be my biggest cheerleader. Fortunately, it is very difficult to perform classical or jazz music and call my audience M'fers. Even in a rock band if I called my audience M'fers, cahnces are there wil be some parents of some of my students there. I am sure that they will pull their kids from my roster if Mrs. T called them Mfers...so that goes without saying.

I am a freelance musician and work with several bands and/or musicians so it is very important that I am reliable...it is more important to get called back for subsequent perrformaces so handle with care.

#91759 by gbheil
Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:37 pm
I,ve tried that whole tongue biting thing, but most people are too fast or wary for me to et a good grip on em. :twisted:

#91768 by Black57
Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:08 pm
sanshouheil wrote:I,ve tried that whole tongue biting thing, but most people are too fast or wary for me to et a good grip on em. :twisted:

Everytime I post something, I wonder what is going to be said and who's going to say it :lol:

I guess people are just getting to know you too well Sans, to let you get close enough to bite their tongues. You're going to have to bite sumthin' else.

#91830 by gbheil
Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:36 pm
:oops:

#93541 by Kramerguy
Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:47 pm
philbymon wrote:LMAO

He left out 8.) Insult your fans ^ call them things like "m'f'ers" at every opportunity. It worked for Grolsh, didn't it?

I went and saw Metallica on the BLack ALbum tour and they did exactly that-

First, they taunted the crowd by brining big glasses of beer onstage (at that time, they had JUST banned all beer and alcohol at the stadium).. they mocked the crowd that they had beer and the crowd could not.. and then they threw the beer in everyones' faces in the front row.

The front rows went nuts, they loved it. Hetfield also spit on them, like horked up big lugies... and they still loved it. I wonder if they weren't hoping for a golden shower at the end?

Anyways, after all that, Hetfield then proceeds to tell call our city "Filth-a-deplhia" and spends a few minutes insulting everyone again.

I wanted to leave, but had come with friends who insisted on staying.

Sadly, it worked for metallica. They just got bigger and bigger.

The Black album was the last thing I ever bought from them. Ever.