This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Talk with other musicians and industry professionals.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#102266 by MAJOR MIND
Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:00 am
fisherman bob wrote:Thanks for sharing, I made this one of my favorite websites. I wonder what percent of musicians and bands have absolutely NO marketing strategy whatsoever? I've seen some incredible bands that played in front of practically nobody. Makes you wonder if marketing is more important than the music...

So, in other words, my guess is as good as yours? Hmm?
#102663 by GhstDog97
Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:51 pm
That is a truely excellent list of ways to succeed at failing. My only fault with it is that 99% of bands don't fail because of those things. 99% of bands fail because they suck and no one wants to listen to them.

Apart from that, yeah. You have to promote yourself constantly. You certainly have to be good to your fans. It's important to keep pushing and make that big break happen for you. You can't expect to sit back and let it come to you.

The stupid thing is that every band I've known personally or been a part of does all of these 7 things right. They just plain aren't very good, and no one really wants to listen to them. They are just sort of an excuse to go out and get drunk somewhere.

#102694 by RhythmMan
Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:02 pm
Most bands in this area are pretty good.

#102733 by fisherman bob
Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:02 am
I don't know how many bands are trying to get into each club in your area, but here there's HUNDREDS trying to get into each club. If you can manage to get your foot in the door AND STAY there, then by definition you have to be pretty good. Repeat gigs means you're at least doing something right. The main thing is holding the majority of the crowd and making a profit for the venue. It's all about profit. Anything short of that means NO REPEAT GIGS...and back to the drawing board...

#104373 by Krul
Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:00 pm
I always hated it whenever I was in a new band and they booked us on a Wed. night! But usually you got to do that to get a weekend show. Sometimes the club will give you a weekend slot if they think their crowd will like you. You might make more than $20 bucks too. :lol:

The Sex Pistols really got away with murder didn't they? And as for
Metallica...ptooey! James Hetfield was willing to let my 16 year old 130 lb ass get beat by his security outside the Stone in S.F. just because I wanted to say what's up? Nobody was outside except my friends. Man, he really is one stuck up son of a bitch! I'm not butt hurt, but still surprised at the level of arrogance. Cliff was dead by then. Metallica lost their mojo when they lost Burton.

When you get arrogant like Metallica you lose your fire and think you can do no wrong. That's why my 14 year old nephew can mop up Hammet, and Lars plays like a damn 3 year old! If Metallica makes another album...they're done. They don't even know what good artwork is anymore. What's with the pubic haired grave? Enjoy the money while you can Trujillo!

#104414 by Starfish Scott
Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:48 pm
If you had to play WHISKEY IN THE JAR you'd be kicking the sh*t out of people as well.

And you are basically correct, no burton, no metalica worth listening to.

St. Anger was a joke in comparison.

#110974 by Hummerboy
Sun May 09, 2010 3:00 am
Sounds like your all using your tongues all wrong.
#124992 by toxicmetal11
Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:54 am
Anyone out there who was born with the gift to make timeless rock n' roll in general (I'm covering most generes with R&R as the primary) especially one who writes great songs, and despite some pretty hard partying which is really know ones' concern if one can see it through the next day and come up with next month's promo kit, even throw in a whacky publicity stunt that although sounds absolutely insane actually ends up getting the band bookings they never imagined would come to fruition - DON'T BLOW IT by contracting the dreaded ARS, also known as Axel Rose Syndrome. In some cases it attaches itself to victims of Rock N' Roll Successive Failure like James Hetfield of Metallica and mutates until other band members leave, are replaced by no one else was available at the time and in the end the disease results in the release of what sounds like Rob Zombie after dropping orange microdot and washing it down with cheap Whiskey. DON'T BLOW IT!!! The fans pay out to buy every new CD, so stay hungry of heart. The fans took you out of the barely got paid clubs and welcomed you to your new 25,000 seater which sold out the first night. You were loaded but played tight all night. The story ends here, but 10 more shows and home sweet studio, home. Just don't punch some fan in the nose. BTW, whatever did happen to that punk ass brat, Axel Rose? :twisted: