This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Talk with other musicians and industry professionals.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#82415 by Andragon
Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:53 am
Hey, folks. Been a while.

So, there's a chance that I may be entering a lil studio in the near-ish future and start recording some originals. Now, I have experience with home studios/recording and a bit of mixing and stuff like that, but not real studios.

I've googled and already formed a 'mindset,' but I thought I'd ask the seasoned BandMixers for some tips and precautions, especially when it comes to recording vocals, dubbing, harmony, etc.

Thanks for your time.

#82441 by philbymon
Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:25 am
Hey Andy! That's some good news, man.

First, you gotta practice like a bad mutha-shut-yo-mouth before you get to the studio, & work like hell to make it sound oh so natural.

You're the top gun, as vocalist. Over-enunciation will kill you. Sticking each & every note with perfection will kill you just as fast. Keep it natchul, baby...

One good thing - if it's originals, no one knows if you flook it up cuz nobody knows what it's supposed to sound like.

Don't be scared.

Don't be too confidant.

I hope I'm not sounding merely confused... :roll:

Post the damned thing up here when it's done so's I can pick it to pieces & stuff.

Best o' luck. Break a leg.

#82444 by gbheil
Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:14 pm
That is good news Andrew. Wish I could help but.....
I will say that the prospect scares the crap out of me, being an amiture guitarest and a cheapskate. The tought of spending that kind of cash on whats at best a gamble just shrivels me like a spider on a hot stove.
I dont scare easy, been in lots of situations both personal and professional where the wrong move could mean great personal harm or death. But the thought of "gambling a grand" just chills my shyt.

Best of luck to you my friend!!

#82531 by Andragon
Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:10 pm
Oh yea, the material is definitely being practised like there's no tomorrow.

As for "natural," we lean more towards the punk style, so the atmosphere is mostly live-sounding.

And George, it won't be THAT kinda professional. You know, the one that costs an arm, a leg, a liver and 2 kidneys?
I just think it's bout time we put those solid songs on solid ground [ha see what I did there?]

One thing that I was thinking bout is, the time spent on each song. I don't wanna linger on just one song for too long [and waste my studio time].. basically time management.
Any tips on that?
Do I set a time limit for working on a song? Some may need extra work [e.g.: overdubs], so I'm still unsure bout the time limit thing.

Thanks, guys. Good to know at least 2 people on here care ha

#82584 by roy357dog
Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:07 am
Hey Andy, I am new here but not new in the business. I think most people have a case of adrenaline overdose by the time the doors close and the time has come to actually put down the tracks. I would just say, try and relax and don't try and over do it. It is a great temptation to over do everything. You have this feeling that you really want to get this thing down smoking. But what really comes forth on tracks is a relaxed approach. Don't know how to explain it. You can critique my stuff and download free at http://www.rockabillyacademy.com/music.
Most of all good luck and I hope this is the first of many many more time. Remember you deserve to be there. Everybody had to walk in there the first time same as you.
Roy

#82606 by RhythmMan
Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:33 am
Considering your style of music - you're probably already good-to-go.
Just watch your distances/volumes w/ the microphone, and concentrate on what YOU are doing.
If you make a minor mistake: put it out of your mind, and KEEP PLAYING.
Play every song the simplest way you know how.
Don't experiment with anything new; go with tried and true.
That's pretty much it.

#82634 by philbymon
Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:41 pm
Time limits per song? Never put that kind of pressure on a recording session!

"Okay, we only have 15 minutes left on this thing, so we hafta get it RIGHT this time!"

No, I don't think that'll help much. Take the approach that you'll do what you can today. Try to keep it as relaxed as possible. Try not to over-analyze your every note. Get your tones & such as perfect as you can in advance, & don't experiment with anything on the fly - not a single change from your master plan. Once you start playing with it, your cost goes through the roof, & your end result will prolly suffer for it.

It's really hard for any of us to know when to say "that's good enough." That point will separate the men from the boys on this type of project. You almost have to remove your SELF from it all, & listen with a fresh ear as if it were the work of someone else. Too much ego will kill you financially, too little will result in a sloppy mess.

Have I muddied it up enough for you? Get it tight before you go in, then simply do it as relaxed as you can, & stick to your master plan, step by step.

#82659 by RhythmMan
Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:22 pm
Hummm
After reading all that crap that we all wrote, myself included . . .
Hell, man - that's too much to think about!
Just forget all that crap, man. Just relax, and play.
:)
Oh yeah, but there IS one thing you should know.
When you're ready to start a song, you tell everybody, right?
Yea, well - THEN let them all scratch that itch, first, and rub their noses, burp, fart, or whatever . . .
And THEN - make eye contact with everyone; let them mentally prep for the song for a few seconds.
You've got to do this.
Then give eveybody 3 full seconds of dead silence before you start.
Do that - and you just might hit it on the first take.

#82763 by Andragon
Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:36 pm
Alan, regardless of style, I'm good to go, except for 2 songs that we're still tweaking. And the last advice is so true. Thanks, man.

No, Phil, you make perfect sense, because I was thinking the same thing.

Roy, your music sounds very well produced. Old school. What are you doing on this site? Get on a stage where you belong :P
#112515 by Janishia
Wed May 26, 2010 4:52 am
it's so weird cuz I'm a female producer / engineer but it seems like not too many guys take me seriously when I tell them. After I show them, it's a different story. you can check me out on musicolio.com It's like the facebook of musicians. You'd love it!
#141843 by windspirit
Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:40 pm
where can I have my songs copy write protected without paying alot of money......thats all they want is money money money
thanks for any info

#141906 by gbheil
Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:52 am
There is only one way that is legit.
Put you money down and wait on the government.
This subject has been covered ad nausium my Texas bro.

Anything short of the US patent / copy right.
Waste of time.

#147642 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:46 pm
There is a cheaper way, though....

Put all your songs on one CD and call it "the works of me" and copyright it for the $40 fee.

Then, file the clarification form (not sure of the number) and clarify each song as an individual song for another $40. In this way you can copyright every song you have for $80 instead of $40 each.