This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Talk with other musicians and industry professionals.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#78477 by PurePop09
Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:47 am
Hey everyone:

It's great to be on the Bandmix forum! There seems to be a ton of people in this community who are very passionate about music, and I look forward to hearing from you. I'm a representative of One Cent Entertainment, and our company is holding a nationwide talent search for the best unsigned vocalists in Pop, R&B, and Pop-Rock music.

Finalists will get the opportunity to perform at the world's famous Webster Hall in front of majot record label A&R, television executives, agents, managers, and more. This is a great opportunity, so let's discuss it! Check out the official breakdown:

SEEKING: Vocalists (M/F, 16-35, Solo/Groups)

GENRE: Pop, R&B, Pop-Rock

EVENT: Pure Pop 2009 is without question, the biggest opportunity for unsigned artists in the US and Canada. We are looking for passionate, talented singers to perform at the world's famous WEBSTER HALL on November 14th in New York City. If selected, you will be performing for major record label A&R, television executives, agencies, managers, and more! Our list of attendees include:

Universal Music Group
Disney
Sony Music
Jive Records
Hollywood Records
Atlantic Records
Nickelodeon
Mercury Records
TC Music Management
Nettwerk Management
Cherry Lane Music Publishing

+ more!!!

If you dream of a career in the music industry, we want to hear from you! This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to showcase your talents in front of the industry's most powerful decision makers. We are now accepting applications through October 2, 2009.

*** To submit your material, please visit: http://www.PurePop2009.com

This is the all-star lineup for unsigned artists, and it will only get better! Don't miss out on this incredible opportunity!

#78481 by RhythmMan
Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:21 am
You've got to be 16 - 35 years old, eh?
I though age discrimination is against the law.

#78482 by gbheil
Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:25 am
Age descrimination is not only illegal, its immoral.

#78531 by PurePop09
Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:04 pm
It's against the law for employment, not a contest lol. I'm liking your profile picture Rhythm Man, very hardcore. The company (as far as I know) does plan on doing a similar showcase next spring for rock bands (they've been discussing the Hammerstein) - and there wouldn't be any age limits on that. Pop music is just a different industry I suppose.

#78545 by RhythmMan
Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:58 pm
No problem - I was kinda saying it tongue in cheek, anyway.
I understand marketing just fine. As in any business, the music biz targets the money; and the money is in that age range.
End of story, eh?
Oh - btw, my fingers look like that about once a week; more so in hot and humid weather . . .

#78646 by gbheil
Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:44 pm
My tongue was not in my cheek. Descrimination is just dead asssed wrong.
Who knows what talented musician or singer could be the next pop icon.
If you were interested in music

#78697 by Starfish Scott
Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:09 pm
Just lie about your age, I bet a few of you do it daily.. lol

#78700 by Whitesel
Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:56 pm
I'm "27 in Rock Years" LOL

#78715 by gbheil
Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:03 pm
:lol:
Thats a good one "rock years" LOL !
Kinda like dog years, but with more blood sucking ticks to deal with.

#78843 by Kramerguy
Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:29 am
You will see on teh HC thread, I told the moderator that he couldn't delete the thread FAST ENOUGH. Same goes here.

#78962 by PurePop09
Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:06 am
I had expected some negative feedback from forum members who are quick to make judgments, and that's fine. You're discovery of this post on another forum is certainly not groundbreaking - if you had asked me whether or not this thread was being created on other forums; I would have quickly said yes. It's certainly not something I would care to hide. So here's what I have to say:

The main reason we've been trying to post on forums is because it would keep the cost for our applicants down. Radio promotion, banner ads, and magazines would add several thousands of dollars to our expenses - and we would be forced to project that onto our applicants. Producing an event of this nature in a venue like the Grand Ballroom at Webster Hall is already very expensive without such advertising. Perhaps if we had only contracted with one major label, they would consider footing the bill. We want to give our finalists the most opportunities we can, thus the need to have these opposing labels ALL in attendance. Our staff is working very hard to secure more labels each day, and despite what you may think - we do have the artists' best interest in mind.

Recording even a cheap studio demo costs between $200-$400, so the $12-$20 application fee is not a huge burden if the applicant feels the opportunity can benefit their career. Another major point is that we have two multi-platinum recording artists on our selection panel, so this is obviously a legitimate contest otherwise they would not risk their reputations.

Last but not least, we are working very hard on securing corporate sponsors for the event. If we can attain our desired number of sponsor support, we plan on waiving the registration fee for all finalists. That is our goal, but unfortunately we could not make that guarantee prior to promotion - thus we needed to list the registration fee as security that the company would not be in debt after producing the showcase.

Hopefully this explanation has clarified any doubts about the legitimacy of this event. These showcases are not for everyone, and if you personally don't believe in the pay-to-play events - you have every right to your opinion and are obviously not being pressured to apply. However, I would encourage you to seek more information about an event and the people who are running it, prior to making a negative comment about them on a public forum. If you have any other questions, feel free to post them or message me personally - I'll be glad to answer them. Thank you.

#78971 by gbheil
Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:35 pm
and we would be forced to project that onto our applicants

Tells all anyone would ever want to know about your project. :(

#79049 by RhythmMan
Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:01 am
PurePop09,
Thanks for posting here.
I suspect that the silent majority thinks what you have to offer is just fine.
To a lot of folks - it'a an opportunity.
Nothing ventured - nothing gained, eh? And the charge is peanuts . . .
Almost every promoter who has posted here has been attacked.
Don't sweat the negative criticism . . . some folks will always view the glass as half - empty.
Don't give up on this site just yet . . .

#79071 by Starfish Scott
Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:29 pm
Oh boy, here we go with the crying and sobbing.

Stfu you wimp, save your tears for the sideshow, you're on next.