This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Relive your fondest & worst memories "on the road".

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#72468 by Prevost82
Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:38 pm
AirViking wrote:just to throw this out there, ive never seen anyone wieghing 400 lbs and on stage. hahaha.

I guess you've never bin to Chicago (KoKo Taylor Club and others). There's a lot of huge black blues singers (female) that preform there, maybe not 400 lbs but well over 300.

#72470 by PocketGroovesGSO
Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:16 pm
AirViking wrote:just to throw this out there, ive never seen anyone wieghing 400 lbs and on stage. hahaha.

What, you've never seen Blues Traveler in concert?!?! :lol:

#72478 by AirViking
Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:05 pm
yikes! I'm a "vocalist" in my metal band and theres no way I could put on weight like that, its a 4 hour ab work out. On the other hand my Progressive band isnt as hard on the muscles, I I guesss lifestyle beyond music could attribute to that, but then again, whats life without music?

#72547 by gbheil
Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:53 am
Alice Cooper.

#72693 by philbymon
Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:52 pm
Then there's that bald, pot-bellied, multiply-pierced & tattooed singer for the Disturbed...

People magazine regularly referred to Phil Collins as "dumpy," "pudgy," "balding," & "short." Didn't seem to afect his popularity all that much...

#72698 by PocketGroovesGSO
Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:16 pm
See, that's one reason that I like being the bass player... I DON'T HAVE TO LOOK GOOD!!! :) I hang out on stage, move around a little to take up visual space on the stage, and that's pretty much it. I show up to the gig in whatever I wore to my full time job that day, I might shave, or not. I'm not terribly concerned about my appearance. But the vocalist, being out in front, I think should be more presentable than the rest of the band. Not necessarily better looking, just more put together. The frontperson of the band should be the "eye-candy" for the crowd because that is who the attention is focused on.

Philby mentioned David from Disturbed -- great example! He's got the piecings hanging from his lips, shaved head, and a quiet demeaner (from what I've seen of the guy anyway). Kind of a intimidating looking guy. But when they put on a show, he's always full of energy, dressed better than the rest of the band, well spoken when talking to/with the crowd, etc. Everything is still in the context of their music, but he is clearly the frontman.

#72700 by gbheil
Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:20 pm
I draw the line at playing in my germy scrubs. :mrgreen:

#73592 by fisherman bob
Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:06 pm
Unfortunately a lot of people pre-judge a band by their looks. During some decades (80's in particular) looks were paramount to success. Dress and hairstyles meant more than musical content. It shouldn't matter what you look like but in your musical career you may have to experiment with different looks to get the most favorable attention. I'm not a flashy dresser, but the genre I play doesn't require anything flashy. Your genre might require some investment in your appearance. How does your competition dress? Unfortunately you may have to keep up with what's in style. Just goes with the territory...

#73655 by gbheil
Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:23 pm
Well I crossed the line last night. :oops:

#74318 by ZXYZ
Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:23 am
U played in your scrubs, Sans? COOL!! :D

AirViking Wrote:
just to throw this out there, ive never seen anyone wieghing 400 lbs and on stage. hahaha.

I guess you never saw Ed King of Skynyrd. (You know the guy who played all the cool riffs and the ding-ding-dah-dah at the beginning of sweet-home-(overplayed)-alabama) he couldnt even see his toes nevermind his guitar. He never looked at his guitar once the whole concert when I saw them play on the 70s in Nashville. He musta been every bit of 300 lbs.. Awesome to see a guy NEVER look even once at his guitar and play every note by feel.. especially with that precision..

#74360 by gbheil
Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:33 pm
Half of them anyways:
[img][img]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm74/sanshouheil/LandmarkBaptistChurch009.jpg[/img][/img]

#76713 by AirViking
Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:39 am
ok 400 punders aside,
do you think the mainstream pays more for looks, as opposed to the indie side?

what about the Hard rock side?
metal even, something outside of the stream completely.
does it make a difference?

#76725 by philbymon
Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:56 pm
It ALWAYS makes a difference to your audience.

(I was wondering WHICH line sans crossed...I /2 expected the pic to show him in a slip...LMAO!)

I've dressed in some pretty weird ways, but ppl expect strange things from me ==> day-glo wizard, blues bros outfit, daishikis (most often), and even odder on Halloween.

Keeps ppl on their toes.

#76786 by gbheil
Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:42 pm
A slip? LOL..... and I thought the wife beater undershirt was bad taste... :lol:
#77948 by trikeaband
Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:16 am
I mean, how many unattractive, known musicians do you know... and i mean KNOW as in, they did well/ got exposure etc.?