This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Relive your fondest & worst memories "on the road".

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#77956 by AirViking
Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:24 am
trikeaband wrote:I mean, how many unattractive, known musicians do you know... and i mean KNOW as in, they did well/ got exposure etc.?

ah, idk im not pop culture i have no idea thats why im asking.
from who I know in the mainstream.
Disturbed is pretty fugly, and korn isnt much better.
I really dont know, this is an honest question.

#77976 by gbheil
Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:52 pm
I mean, how many unattractive, known musicians do you know... and i mean KNOW as in, they did well/ got exposure etc.?

In the Rock circles, prior to all this MTV - Idol BS, damn near all of em were ugly enough to make a train take a dirt road.
Hell those boys from the STONES had to sneak up on a beer to get a drink.
And they did a lot of sneakin!
Wasnt a stage pass around their necks it was a pork chop so the dog would not run off.

#78071 by ZXYZ
Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:10 am
Yeah, I was gonna say George Thorogood and Mick Jagger..

#79593 by norain
Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:27 pm
I think it all depends on the kind of music, and the type of band you are in. Country and Blues is very tolerant of looks, where top 40 is less tolerant. Its the kind of audience you have in most cases. Young, good-looking college crowds tend to be more aware of the looks than people who may not be so perfect themselves (older, fatter, etc).
Hey, it always helps to have good looking folks onstage, at least one. There are many studies that show success is enhanced by appearance.

#79602 by gbheil
Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:06 pm
You may have a point my friend, but from what I see of the high school and college crowd these days skanky and fat are in vogue.
Man we'd laughed these broads off the campus in the 70's.

#79804 by chay12
Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:37 pm
Obviously, strangers are going to be more apt to look at good-looking people, as opposed to ugly people, that's just human nature. But as for being on stage, I think it's more about how does the WHOLE BAND look on stage? If it's a coherent unit up there, the energy level of the whole place goes up. If it's like watching 4 or 5 musicians stumble around each other, you get bored and walk away.

We always made a point of being aware of each other on stage, so if I saw my guitarist head-banging at a certain point, I'd match him, and so on. We also made sure that when playing live, we (myself and guitarist) always wore black pants and a long sleeve black shirt, no band logos or anything. We never really spent much time working on that aspect, other than, say, the intro of the show.

Just a different outlook, I suppose...

#80104 by Starfish Scott
Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:52 pm
I like ugly musicians, they tend to play harder and with sharper skills.

The beautiful people tend to think they can get by on their proposed looks.
(FAIL)

#97663 by Canplayandsing
Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:07 pm
I have no problem flaunting it as long it gets me exposure. Of course its not a requirement but its definately an asset. When someone is looking at you and they could potentially invest in you?
They are weighing all the pro's and con's.

"Well his music is great and hes got a great voice and he can shred the guitar. And hes attractive."

That's just the way it is. Use every weapon in your arsenal if you want it that bad.

I have to agree with the above poster about ugly people being better musicians.. lol"

#98855 by Jonny Deth
Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:16 am
A couple pretty faces within your group certainly won't hurt if you're looking for major commercial success and getting signed by a major label, regardless of genre.
Ultimately though, it's really about the front man. If your music is good and your front man is a pretty boy, you're going to get more press plain and simple. More party invites, more interviews from trend magazine sluts etc.etc.

Also gets you a lot more HOT groupies rather than crusty nags that try to jump on and ride any man that can hold his own on an instrument or the mic.
#101871 by MAJOR MIND
Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:59 am
AirViking wrote:Pretty straight forward on this.
Im just wondering if over all, better looking guys/girls get more opprotunities.

Then you should be rich.

#101872 by MAJOR MIND
Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:00 am
Jonny Deth wrote:A couple pretty faces within your group certainly won't hurt if you're looking for major commercial success and getting signed by a major label, regardless of genre.
Ultimately though, it's really about the front man. If your music is good and your front man is a pretty boy, you're going to get more press plain and simple. More party invites, more interviews from trend magazine sluts etc.etc.

Also gets you a lot more HOT groupies rather than crusty nags that try to jump on and ride any man that can hold his own on an instrument or the mic.

A jew or two will almost guarantee success.

#101934 by Starfish Scott
Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:56 pm
Ooh crap, someone sheet up there ..

#101946 by philbymon
Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:45 pm
:shock:

AV, I think he likes your look & hopes you're Jewish! It must be a fetish or something...

:lol:

#116440 by Jims69Camaro
Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:43 pm
jw123 wrote:what was the name of the Sailing guy. I read it killed his career.

christopher cross.

some people can lose the weight and still be bufugly (john popper?). but that doesn't mean that they can't make music. beauty is in the eye of the beholder - 'nuff said.