This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Relive your fondest & worst memories "on the road".

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#72158 by AirViking
Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:31 pm
Pretty straight forward on this.
Im just wondering if over all, better looking guys/girls get more opprotunities.

#72177 by Starfish Scott
Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:49 pm
Used to be that way..

Now just about anyone can record quality stuff.

With the advent of indie music and the internet, it's not longer true. (imo)

#72295 by gbheil
Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:28 pm
Man thats a good one. Would seem that in the pop world genre' not specific, you have to be "sexy" to get a break. However if you look at the history of musicians, especially rock musicians, music was their attractiveness (if thats even a word) because them was some yougly mofo's. :lol:

I think the overall apperence of the band is more important than being purty. I mean, you kinda got to wear the "uniform" of the target audence or venue.

#72313 by Starfish Scott
Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:25 pm
lol I debate that regularly.

I don't wanna out anyone, but I saw a band recently that was chock full of FUGLYies. I thought they would be no good. Turns out they played well.

I'd go see them again, just as long as they played as well as the 1st time..

I don't have to look at them, I just have to listen to them.. lol

#72345 by jw123
Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:37 pm
When MTV came along it did hurt some folks. The way they looked, what was the name of the Sailing guy. I read it killed his career.

I think that looks are very important in music. I think that your look and how it goes with your band is important. I think that better looking musicians get an easier break than uglier musician.

Sorry but that is the way it is, as the old saying says Sex Sells.

#72351 by RGMixProject
Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:47 pm
Looks are very improtant if ya want to be a money making flybye band.

Take a look at boy bands in order

Beatles; not a flybye but started the whole thing
Monkees
Osmonds
New Kids On The Block
NSYNC
Backstreet Boys
and now
Jonas Brothers.

You get the picture.

Now if your ugly: Meatloaf......Make a great stage show (with boobs) and you will do just fine.
IMO

#72353 by jw123
Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:54 pm
Im sure there is a study some where that proves people pay more attention to someone with good looks than they do some one who doesnt look so good.

It doesnt matter whether you are a boy band girl band metal band disco band raggae band......................................................................

Thats just life. If Steve Vai weighed 400 lbs and wore coke bottle glasses, do you think David Coverdale would have hired him to play in WHite Snake, or David Lee Roth. It really makes no difference whather the person is a monster musician or not, good looks will open doors that otherwise wouldnt open.

#72373 by AirViking
Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:05 pm
just to throw this out there, ive never seen anyone wieghing 400 lbs and on stage. hahaha.

So it does to some degree then? JW123 has got some good points, but so does capt scott, just look at lil john after all the man is hideous (no offense). But he still makes a metric butt load of his "music."

And I know some ugly mofos in the metal world hahaha.

#72383 by jw123
Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:20 pm
Ugliness and metal kinda go side by side dont you think.

Even in metal there is a certain look to be a part. All the big potbellyed metal players join GWAR, ha ha

The only group I can think up that mixed up looks and were fairly successful was Cheap Trick, 2 rockers and 2 normal guys. Was a pretty good gimmic for the late 70s

#72395 by philbymon
Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:48 pm
I don't really think that the looks you are born with matter as much as your stage presense. Do you dress for your genre? Do you keep yourself reasonably groomed? If you're in a band that's about music, do what you can to look good. If you're in a band that's about fashion, a la boy/girl bands, then you'd best be pretty...

#72399 by ratsass
Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:09 pm
jw123 wrote:All the big potbellyed metal players join GWAR, ha ha

Are they hiring? :)

Remember Atlanta Rhythm Section? All regular looking guys except Paul Goddard, the bassist. He was overweight and dumpy and had the coke bottom glasses. First album of theirs that I bought, I remember looking at all of them and how he stood out. But then I listened and his bass playing was amazing. Maybe that's why his name stuck with me all these years.

#72402 by gbheil
Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:55 pm
Bachman Turner Overweight.

#72403 by RGMixProject
Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:57 pm
Or.....

take me

I'm a short bald headed skinny guy with hairy legs. So I buy a great BIG double bass drum set with Industral rack and lots of cymbals and play the hell out of the MF's. A lot of people during the breaks would come up to me and always say, wow you play really great but we can't see you.

So then I show them my legs and they pat me on the head and laugh.

o man, why did I just share that :oops:

#72404 by gbheil
Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:59 pm
ROFL :lol:

#72460 by AirViking
Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:47 pm
jw123 wrote:Ugliness and metal kinda go side by side dont you think.

Umm are you implying something about me, jw123? hahaha.
I know there are two different types of looks, on and offstage. I know that metal bands arent in the eye of publicity but does offstage looks affect other bands a lot?