This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Relive your fondest & worst memories "on the road".

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#65660 by musichead10
Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:44 pm
I hurt my hand playing baseball one night. Well we had a playing job that next evening and I couldnt play. No big deal rebook it. But the promoter insisted That the band go on that night. Well I couldnt play so I sat in a chair and held a large ashtray in my hand on stage. I held an ashtray for 3 hours on stage and got paid. The local paper there picked up on it and it became the talk for town for a few days. I had a fan send me a clip... Weird stuff.
Thats just one of million road stories.

#65662 by gbheil
Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:52 pm
:?:

So whats with the ashtray?

#65690 by philbymon
Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:59 am
The Flamingo Road Band was playing this resaurant one night, right after I'd cut the middle finger of my left hand the day before. I'd super-glued the cut & decided to play anyway. Well, the super glue hardened the cut intil it was sharp as a knife, & when I played it kept right on cutting me in little sharp stabs, but I kept on, with blood running down my arm...ew...I know...it was a RESTAURANT...but the audience was quite appreciative of the effort...hurt like hell, though

#65703 by ratsass
Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:28 pm
We were playing a local late night club once and I came down with laryngitis. I was singing about 80% of the songs so this was a problem. Other members of the band started singing a few songs that they didn't usually do and really didn't know. We even got some friends out of the crowd to sing what they could, but it was still going to be a long night for us. Finally we got ahold of a singer from another band who did a lot of the same songs as us who said he'd come bale us out, but it would be an hour or so before he could get there. Well, the show had to go on, so I started a simple I, IV, V blues and the rest of the band wondered what was going on since no one sang a blues song, but they kicked right in on it. After jamming around a little bit, I walked up to my mic and in a coarse whisper (the most I could muster), I started singing:
"I got the laryngitis blues, Oh, my voice is gone tonight.
I got the laryngitis blues, Oh, my voice is gone tonight.
But my guitar wants to sing, I hope it makes ya feel alright."
Then I did an extended guitar solo, made up another verse, had the bassist do a solo, made up another verse, another guitar solo...
Anyway, it had to be the longest blues song in history, but it filled up the time until the other singer arrived and we actually got more compliments on that song than any of the others we played that night. 8) :lol:

#231141 by matthew_br13
Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:50 am
Played a show one night at a bar with a full house. Started playing and we were gettin no response. Thinking it was because it was early in first set, we shrugged it off. Kept playin and were still only gettin 2 or 3 claps per song. Now we were thinkin we had to get this crowd drinkin. No body left, they were just zombie faced. Weird crowds can be the weirdest nights...

#231142 by matthew_br13
Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:51 am
Played a show one night at a bar with a full house. Started playing and we were gettin no response. Thinking it was because it was early in first set, we shrugged it off. Kept playin and were still only gettin 2 or 3 claps per song. Now we were thinkin we had to get this crowd drinkin. No body left, they were just zombie faced. Weird crowds can be the weirdest nights...

#233279 by J-HALEY
Wed May 07, 2014 4:00 pm
Just played a gig this past Saturday. It was a great gig at a cook off in a small town. The crowd was fairly large and really enjoyed our band. They even asked us to play an extra set. After load out I jumped in my truck set my iPhone navigation to my home address. After driving in circles for i.5 hours. I got to the compass in my iPhone. I new if I headed north I would get to a familiar town and could make it home. Finally made it to a familiar highway was driving along and almost hit a deer. After driving for 2 hours I had to pee. I pulled off the highway in BFE got out was relieving myself in the pitch black darkness when I heard the voice of a middle aged black man. I couldn't make out what he was saying. I looked around and no one was there. At this point I was getting pretty spooked so I jumped in my truck and got the hell out of there. Later I found out the area Brazos river bottom had many reports of ghost sightings. The KKK was very big in that area throughout history. Guess it was a ghost! :shock:

#233281 by GuitarMikeB
Wed May 07, 2014 5:30 pm
If it was pitch black and you couldn't see him, how do you know it was a black man/ghost? :wink:

#233282 by Planetguy
Wed May 07, 2014 5:53 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:If it was pitch black and you couldn't see him, how do you know it was a black man/ghost? :wink:

J-HALEY wrote: fear not mark...trust me, no one will forget racist if you fail to work it into every conversation! sound familiar Planetfag?

:D

careful, mike...you're skating on thin ice by bringing race up in every conversation!!!

don't make me put you on IGNORE! (or in the cornfield for that matter) :lol:

#233287 by J-HALEY
Wed May 07, 2014 6:57 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:If it was pitch black and you couldn't see him, how do you know it was a black man/ghost? :wink:

I guess I should have noted that I got my flashlight and looked around out of concern that perhaps someone had been hit by a car and left on the side of the road. You can't tell the difference between a black man and white man on the phone?

#233288 by Planetguy
Wed May 07, 2014 7:28 pm
I wonder if perhaps haley heard the "man of color" sniggering "and you call that little thing a DICK????" :lol: