This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Relive your fondest & worst memories "on the road".

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#157155 by Sturoc
Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:16 am
Speaking of the Plasmatics. I was their Guitar tech back in the late 80s for a tour. Recall before starting we met at Wendy's place in NYC, a huge warehouse full of props a few old cars costumes, weird mannequins. It was an amazing collection of the absurd and odd complimented by some awesome theatrical stuff.
We got the band gear together. As usual the chainsaw was loaded in the truck and i thought that'll be interesting. We did one rehearsal at the first gig's venue. During that time i was informed that before every gig me and the drum tech had to hunt down cheap guitars locally. No Prob I said, knowing Wendy likes to destroy things onstage.
And in addition during one particular song I will be dressing in a Doctors long white lab coat with a Black executioners mask on standing inside a upright coffin holding a cheap guitar.
"Hmm okay.. What ?!?! " doing a double take !
As if handling two guitarists numerous guitar changes and bass players gear weren't enough ?
So here's how it went night after night :
Place the coffin onstage during a blackout along with a wooden guitar stand jig thing.
Put on the Doc coat and mask, grab the cheapo guitar
Stand in the closed coffin there was a que when Wendy swings the lid open I thrust the guitar out she pulls me outta there takes the gtr puts it on the stand, fires up the chain saw and proceeds to thrash thru it .
Meanwhile the lead guitarist is in a wheel chair playing furious leads, rolling back and forth acting like a crazy person. a sign above his head said " Lebotomy Patient " Yeah i know, but that's how we spelled it. Me just standing with arms folded watching the debacle thru two eye slits in the mask. If you only could have seen the terror on my face , good God !
This goes on nite after nite with no real incidents. After a few gigs the guitarist and I were talking how she was getting real close with that saw and one of these nites someone is gonna get nicked or worse !
Well that night finally came :
Everything went as 'normal' till I stepped out, she took the guitar with one hand, chain saw running in the other I was like 'whoa that's a new move'. Most times the chainsaw was on the floor ready to go after i moved a step away.
Lead guitarists in the wheel chair was closer than usual to the guitar stand as it was a smaller stage that nite. Wendy starts thrashing and swingin and cuttin away at the gtr, then I feel it: a stinging pain in my arm sh*t ! String shrapnel ! i could see our wheel chair bound guitar playing Lobotomy patient bleeding from both arms still playing-What a trooper !
Sliced pickups, plastic, wood, frets fly thru the air. The crowd screaming nuts ! of course they had no clue the blood was real.
I slowly stepped back into the coffin and out of the danger zone. the look of shock on the other band members faces will be etched in my mind forever.
The song came to end -Blackout -I raced over to the guitar player got him out of the chair plucking metal out of him and cleaned him up. He was in a state of shock kept saying "WTF, WTF ! I can't believe what just happened." Bandaged some cloth and gaff tape round his arms and out he went Blazing into the next song. Wow!
I wasn't hit that bad but still I muttered "Do i need a flak jacket for this gig now "?!
After the show we were all about leaving the band that nite and i was seriously considering a career change perhaps Forest Ranger ahhhh peace and quiet, not alot of people, yeah that sounds nice.
Rod, Wendy's manager/husband and all around good guy, convinced us that it wouldn't happen again etc etc. Wendy apologized admitting that she really does lose her mind on stage. Yeah well we knew that already ! But very true as Offstage she was a sweetheart.
So both me and the lead guitarist stayed and finished out the tour. At the end I promptly said my good byes and finally got a great full night's sleep without any nightmares !!!
#157187 by Starfish Scott
Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:56 pm
Sturoc wrote:Speaking of the Plasmatics. I was their Guitar tech back in the late 80s for a tour. Recall before starting we met at Wendy's place in NYC, a huge warehouse full of props a few old cars costumes, weird mannequins. It was an amazing collection of the absurd and odd complimented by some awesome theatrical stuff.
We got the band gear together. As usual the chainsaw was loaded in the truck and i thought that'll be interesting. We did one rehearsal at the first gig's venue. During that time i was informed that before every gig me and the drum tech had to hunt down cheap guitars locally. No Prob I said, knowing Wendy likes to destroy things onstage.
And in addition during one particular song I will be dressing in a Doctors long white lab coat with a Black executioners mask on standing inside a upright coffin holding a cheap guitar.
"Hmm okay.. What ?!?! " doing a double take !
As if handling two guitarists numerous guitar changes and bass players gear weren't enough ?
So here's how it went night after night :
Place the coffin onstage during a blackout along with a wooden guitar stand jig thing.
Put on the Doc coat and mask, grab the cheapo guitar
Stand in the closed coffin there was a que when Wendy swings the lid open I thrust the guitar out she pulls me outta there takes the gtr puts it on the stand, fires up the chain saw and proceeds to thrash thru it .
Meanwhile the lead guitarist is in a wheel chair playing furious leads, rolling back and forth acting like a crazy person. a sign above his head said " Lebotomy Patient " Yeah i know, but that's how we spelled it. Me just standing with arms folded watching the debacle thru two eye slits in the mask. If you only could have seen the terror on my face , good God !
This goes on nite after nite with no real incidents. After a few gigs the guitarist and I were talking how she was getting real close with that saw and one of these nites someone is gonna get nicked or worse !
Well that night finally came :
Everything went as 'normal' till I stepped out, she took the guitar with one hand, chain saw running in the other I was like 'whoa that's a new move'. Most times the chainsaw was on the floor ready to go after i moved a step away.
Lead guitarists in the wheel chair was closer than usual to the guitar stand as it was a smaller stage that nite. Wendy starts thrashing and swingin and cuttin away at the gtr, then I feel it: a stinging pain in my arm sh*t ! String shrapnel ! i could see our wheel chair bound guitar playing Lobotomy patient bleeding from both arms still playing-What a trooper !
Sliced pickups, plastic, wood, frets fly thru the air. The crowd screaming nuts ! of course they had no clue the blood was real.
I slowly stepped back into the coffin and out of the danger zone. the look of shock on the other band members faces will be etched in my mind forever.
The song came to end -Blackout -I raced over to the guitar player got him out of the chair plucking metal out of him and cleaned him up. He was in a state of shock kept saying "WTF, WTF ! I can't believe what just happened." Bandaged some cloth and gaff tape round his arms and out he went Blazing into the next song. Wow!
I wasn't hit that bad but still I muttered "Do i need a flak jacket for this gig now "?!
After the show we were all about leaving the band that nite and i was seriously considering a career change perhaps Forest Ranger ahhhh peace and quiet, not alot of people, yeah that sounds nice.
Rod, Wendy's manager/husband and all around good guy, convinced us that it wouldn't happen again etc etc. Wendy apologized admitting that she really does lose her mind on stage. Yeah well we knew that already ! But very true as Offstage she was a sweetheart.
So both me and the lead guitarist stayed and finished out the tour. At the end I promptly said my good byes and finally got a great full night's sleep without any nightmares !!!

+1 vote for best of Bandmix..

#157192 by jw123
Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:34 pm
Im with ya Capt, I dont think anyone can top that!
#161258 by Dale M
Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:24 pm
I've got a few I'll share...

Back in the '70s our band was one of the local opening acts for Lynard Skynard. After our set we stood off to the side to watch Skynard. About halfway through their set an enomous fat man stripped naked and began dancing through the crowd. It was blistering hot that night so the dancing man was not only large, but extermely sweaty.

Even though the crowd was going wild and cheering him on, the concert bouncers did their best to stop the guy from running around. This was hopeless because they couldn't get a hold of him. He was like a human greased pig.

Somehow he made it up onto the stage. The band kept playing but didn't seme to know what to think until Ronnie Van Zandt began dancing beside him. This caused the fat man to pause and watch. Within seconds over a dozen bouncers burst from the side and leapt onto the poor naked man. All we could see were yellow shirts and a lot of naked fat.

The crowd booed as they hoisted the guy offstage. I remember laughing until I almost peed my pants because it took two bouncers per leg and arm to carry the heavy guy away.

#161264 by Dale M
Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:59 pm
One more...

This happened in the late 60's or early 70's when the police did all that they could to subdue hippies.

We were playing at an outdoor concert somewhere in Los Angeles (I can't remember exactly where). It was open seating, hosted by a local radio station, and the crowd was fairly large - maybe 1500 people. The audience was loving the music and we (the band) were feeling great. We jumped into a high powered song and many in the crowd started getting up and dancing.

The next thing I know a fight flared up off to my right. A group of cops began beating on a guy and a girl. The girl was petite and cute, but she was taking one baton hit after another to the head. The guy (her boyfried maybe) was trying his best to protect her. That's when others stepped in and began heckling the cops. This just pissed them off and instantly a riot exploded up in front of us.

The fight continued to grow and people started to panic. I screamed out to our roadies to come on stage and keep the equipment safe. That didn't help much because we were suddenly flooded by a mob.

I grabbed my guitars and dove behind my Ampeg SVTs with my brother who happened to come along that day. The others in the band tried to take cover, as well. Eventually, we had no choice but to fight our way to our bus. Thankfully, my brother is a big guy and he cleared a path for us.

After a half hour or so everything settled down. We made our way back to the stage to find the cops kicking in our speakers. My amps were somehow still standing until another cop with greased back hair came up and threw both heads to the ground.

They told us to pick up our crap and get out. I also remember them warning us not to complain otherwise they'd confiscate everything.

I don't know if the cops caused the situation by being jerks or if they had a reason to begin beating on the guy and the girl. All I do know is that we lost a lot of equipment that day, had two of our windows broken on our bus, my brother had two busted fingers and a bruised knee (from a police baton), and we came away with nothing to show for it - no pay, no nothing.

Things were bad back then. It was our little Altamont. Thankfully, no one was killed.

Crazy !!

#161333 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:12 pm
I've seen Gwar in concert.

NOTHING will top that for "weird" but I've done too many weird things onstage to write them all down anyway.

Once I bought a neckbone in the butcher shop and slung meat all over the room while singing a blues song called "Give That Dog A Bone", once played a halloween party wearing nothing but an overcoat with one strategically placed button. I've gotten into fist fights onstage a half-dozen times, started a riot at the Texas State Fair, etc...etc.

Have probably forgotten more weirdness than I can remember....

#163145 by bill the guitarist
Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:51 am
Was playing with the Mentors, filling in for Sickie, New Years Eve in Portland, Or last month, and some girl squatted and started pissing onstage...of course she was prompted to do so by the drummer...I got video if u want it

#167689 by bharvey
Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:31 pm
It is always funny to see guys crumbling down just because they have had too much to drink to begin with.

Though it has been a common site to see them trip over and over again just because the chords are not kept and maintained properly, making them hard to bear with.

Also, there are those bands, which I assume are just budding and new to the scene, who fight in the middle of the song.

#203092 by JoshUndead
Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:24 pm
There is a video of The Misfits(Danzig era), and the are performing when one of the members of the crowd gets on stage and starts to dance but before he can Doyle Wolfgang Von Frankenstein(guitarist) picks him up by his throat and throws him of stage. Also there is one of Glenn Danzig yelling at this huge bald biker looking person and without saying a word the biker guy knocks Glenn out. I would hate to mess with any member of the Misfits. NOFX once said "All they do aside from music is work out and drink water" hahaha

#204710 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:57 pm
The Plasmatics story still is #1!
#223604 by wayne552666
Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:08 pm
Weirdest thing I did on stage was catch my face on a tent guidewire while I was jumping off.

I landed upright with my bass intact, but it did shake the tent framework.

My guitarist bandmate was jumping off on the other side of the stage - looked at me and quizzed, "What happened to you?"

#226436 by Deadguitars
Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:59 pm
Hey Wheatstone - were you guys ever located in Bucks Co. PA late 90's / early 2000's ?
I used to see a Wheatstone Bridge back in the day - great band - acoustic band ... did Smells Like Teen Spirit and a Hendrix Medley .... bluegrass-y style .... older cats .... mando guy was always telling me to pick up the instrument ....
:D