This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Relive your fondest & worst memories "on the road".

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#1340 by Flacy
Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:48 pm
I would hardly refer to these two stories as “on tour” stories but they are definitely “road” stories. They both occurred when I used to play bass for a living, back in the seventies, and together they have a rather oxymoronic moral ... keep your eyes open when you play or always keep them closed.

The first event occurred in Tallahassee, Florida, at a little place called Four Points Lounge. I am often in the habit closing my eyes when I play, especially when I am quite familiar with the neck of the particular bass I am playing. I don't do it always, but if I especially like the song, I may. And if I am trying to hear what is going on on the other side of the drummer, I will often be that way at stage-front. This particular evening at Four Points Lounge I was stage-front with my eyes closed when I suddenly realized I was the only one playing. In my periphery vision I noticed a flagging motion. Turning to view the exit door closest to the stage, I saw my band-mates anxiously beckoning me to leave the stage in their direction. Next I turned my attention to the dance floor. There, a rather slight man was standing with his back to me about six feet from the stage. Another six or seven feet on the other side of him an intimidating-looking gentleman was pointing a rather large handgun in both of our directions. Now I didn't know a lot about ballistics back then but had a solidly strong sense that standing in the trajectory path was not wise. Because I spend a lot of money on my instruments and for other reasons, I have always taken very good care to protect them from harm. But for the first time in my playing career, and without hesitation, I actually threw my bass on the stage floor to beat a hasty retreat to the safety of the exit door and the company of my com padres. Fortunately, the police arrived soon and no one was hurt, but I did play with my eyes wide open for a long time after that.

The second eyes-closed experience occurred in Nashville, Tennessee, at a club called Fanny's. Our group, Sweetheart, was very popular there and we always packed the joint. A certain limousine driver who was an ardent Sweetheart fan was always bringing visiting music industry stars there to hear us. One night he brought Aerosmith, which resulted in Steven Tyler taking us to the studio, but that is another story. On this particular evening I was again stage-front with my eyes closed. When I opened them, no more that three or four feet away, staring directly at me, was none other than Frank Zappa. Now I had seen pictures of the man and was a big fan since the “Weasels Ripped My Flesh” album, but I suddenly realized that Mr. Zappa had about the biggest head I had ever seen. Maybe it was just the tunnel vision I had developed from the shock of seeing him so closely staring directly at me, but his head was huge. If he had been considering me as a musician he might use, I failed the audition, because at that moment I forgot everything. I forgot my part. I forgot the song. I forgot that I played bass. But not all from that night was bad. Our guitarist, Adrian Belew, was later hired by Mr. Zappa, which really jump-started Adrian's career. I am so happy for Adrian that this occurred but I have often wondered if I should have just kept my eyes closed that night.

I hope you enjoyed these anecdotal recollections. My name is Steve Flacy. I today work as a director of information technology for a large precast concrete company and play bass for fun. You may view my Bandmix profile by clicking below or my current band's website at www.ninetyninecents.net. Rock out.
Last edited by Flacy on Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#1459 by BillyRich
Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:34 pm
Amazing stories Steve. By throwing down the bass and bolting (which probably resulted in lot of noise) it may have distracted the gunman enough to save the other guy's (and your) life!

How cool to be so close to fame & fortune in the music bus. Very awesome for your guitarist. You were definitely there on the verge.
One of my bands opened for a lot of top Country bands, lots of oportunity for us to go for it. But life & the need for a secure fulltime income intervened.

Very nice bass work on those tunes, although hard to hear on my little comp. speakers. Gonna have to line out to the stereo system to hear better.

I posted a couple songs on my profile I threw together in a few takes. But I was kinda just goofing around jamming, with no purpose other than to have something on here. I want to spend a little more time to get some shorter 1 meg tunes (5) to show more versatility.
#1490 by Blindfold5150
Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:54 am
Steve Flacy wrote:I would hardly refer to these two stories as “on tour” stories but they are definitely “road” stories. They both occurred when I used to play bass for a living, back in the seventies, and together they have a rather oxymoronic moral ... keep your eyes open when you play or always keep them closed.

The first event occurred in Tallahassee, Florida, at a little place called Four Points Lounge. I am often in the habit closing my eyes when I play, especially when I am quite familiar with the neck of the particular bass I am playing. I don't do it always, but if I especially like the song, I may. And if I am trying to hear what is going on on the other side of the drummer, I will often be that way at stage-front. This particular evening at Four Points Lounge I was stage-front with my eyes closed when I suddenly realized I was the only one playing. In my periphery vision I noticed a flagging motion. Turning to view the exit door closest to the stage, I saw my band-mates anxiously beckoning me to leave the stage in their direction. Next I turned my attention to the dance floor. There, a rather slight man was standing with his back to me about six feet from the stage. Another six or seven feet on the other side of him an intimidating-looking gentleman was pointing a rather large handgun in both of our directions. Now I didn't know a lot about ballistics back then but had a solidly strong sense that standing in the trajectory path was not wise. Because I spend a lot of money on my instruments and for other reasons, I have always taken very good care to protect them from harm. But for the first time in my playing career, and without hesitation, I actually threw my bass on the stage floor to beat a hasty retreat to the safety of the exit door and the company of my com padres. Fortunately, the police arrived soon and no one was hurt, but I did play with my eyes wide open for a long time after that.

The second eyes-closed experience occurred in Nashville, Tennessee, at a club called Fanny's. Our group, Sweetheart, was very popular there and we always packed the joint. A certain limousine driver who was an ardent Sweetheart fan was always bringing visiting music industry stars there to hear us. One night he brought Aerosmith, which resulted in Steven Tyler taking us to the studio, but that is another story. On this particular evening I was again stage-front with my eyes closed. When I opened them, no more that three or four feet away, staring directly at me, was none other than Frank Zappa. Now I had seen pictures of the man and was a big fan since the “Weasels Ripped My Flesh” album, but I suddenly realized that Mr. Zappa had about the biggest head I had ever seen. Maybe it was just the tunnel vision I had developed from the shock of seeing him so closely staring directly at me, but his head was huge. If he had been considering me as a musician he might use, I failed the audition, because at that moment I forgot everything. I forgot my part. I forgot the song. I forgot that I played bass. But not all from that night was bad. Our guitarist, Adrian Belew, was later hired by Mr. Zappa, which really jump-started Adrian's career. I am so happy for Adrian that this occurred but I have often wondered if I should have just kept my eyes closed that night.

I hope you enjoyed these anecdotal recollections. My name is Steve Flacy. I today work as a director of information technology for a large precast concrete company and play bass for fun. You may view my Bandmix profile at http://bandmix.com/profile56782.html. Rock out.
:shock: Oh holy Cantankeroons!!! I played at Hammerjacks ( Baltimore MD) when I was 17 , and the worst that happened was a underage metal chick vomited on my Big Muff ... But Francis Vincent Zappa ?! He was my Dr Seusse , I used to listen to Lumpy Gravy in the morning as I ate my Peanut Butter Captain Crunch... Arian Belew , one of my inspirados . I just got the dvd "Baby Snakes" , and its from 1972 . Frank has a wireless on his SG ... MY band in the 80s played down in Austin tx , we drove down in a Vw Bus... we were driving from DC to Austin , when somewhere in W VA , my drummer was looking in back for some reason and noticed that my guitar was gone ... It was a custom Chandler parts frankenstien w/ an original Floyd Rose tailpiece and one of the first kahler finger locking nuts , w/ Seymore Duncan Invader p/u , I painted it . Stolen , we surmised that it had been pilfered while we were loading the van in front of our drummers house when one of us was'nt looking out ... anyway I rented a G&L w/ the help of my stepfather we played the gigs ... Steve , I play w/ my eyes closed sometimes too . Its a natural thing to do when you're so connected to the music .... Great story Steve ...

#1494 by Guest
Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:15 pm
not only do I play with my eyes closed alot, but with my tongue sticking out a little.... :D
#1629 by Flacy
Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:19 pm
That was some pretty fancy finger picking there, Bill. I liked it a lot. I appreciate your comments and the kudos. You are right, we were on the verge, and it may have happened for the band if a couple of our band members could have just set aside their egos. Hey, this is starting to sound like a sad song. I don't mean it to be. I have some fond memories of my days as a rocker and the people who rocked with me. Keep up the good work on that six-string. You're sounding real good. Rock out.
#1630 by Flacy
Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:04 pm
Thanks for the reply. It is interesting and funny to hear that you had a diet of Zappa at such an early age but I hated to hear about your stolen axe. I hate thieves and especially ones that steal instruments. For a musician, his/her axe becomes an extension of the self, almost like a part of you physically. Even when our band had roadies I would still always keep an eye on my instruments and usually carry them myself. I attribute that compulsion to an experience I had in the sixties at an auditorium in Pensacola, Florida. A roadie for the Byrds had something he really had to do, so he asked me to watch their guitars for a little while. Well, a little while became a long while and the stage and auditorium emptied. I was left standing alone with all their guitars next to an open exit door. I was completely alone. I thought to myself, that roadie is a fool. He didn't know me from Adam. If I were dishonest, the Byrds might have lost their guitars that evening. That experience caused me to always carry my axe, roadies or not. Sorry about your loss. I'll bet you would have liked to have had a few moments with the thief, if only to instruct him in rules of social etiquette. :-) I know I would have. Rock out.
#1631 by Flacy
Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:10 pm
Don't chew gum. :lol:

#3809 by Tessa
Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:49 am
To Steve Flacy about "eyes closed" when you play, I had a crazy thing happen to me about 20 years ago! I had lost touch with a friend who followed my music for some time.Long story short, I was on a show in Indiana, and I would always close my eyes a lot when I sang. She happened to see the show on TV back in NJ where I'm from and was able to contact me through the program. She said, I wasn't sure it was you until you closed your eyes, then I was positive! I do believe it's a heart and soul thing since the eyes are the lamp of the soul! I loved your stories though!

#4539 by Flacy
Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:14 am
tessa wrote:To Steve Flacy about "eyes closed" when you play, I had a crazy thing happen to me about 20 years ago! I had lost touch with a friend who followed my music for some time.Long story short, I was on a show in Indiana, and I would always close my eyes a lot when I sang. She happened to see the show on TV back in NJ where I'm from and was able to contact me through the program. She said, I wasn't sure it was you until you closed your eyes, then I was positive! I do believe it's a heart and soul thing since the eyes are the lamp of the soul! I loved your stories though!

Thanks, Tessa. Sorry I did not repond right away. I haven't been back on this site as much since I hooked up with some great musicians, the guys in Ninety Nine Cents. Thanks for your comments and I believe you are right, it is a heart and soul thing. Closing your eyes allows you concentrate on "seeing" that what you hear yourself singing/playing is what you feel in your heart. Thanks again, Tessa, for your reponse.

#5869 by johnnya
Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:36 pm
up until now i wondered about that, i connect with my music like that, and then you get lost in those moments with your music. rock on :!: :D
#6746 by MattZito
Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:56 am
Steve Flacy wrote:I would hardly refer to these two stories as “on tour” stories but they are definitely “road” stories. They both occurred when I used to play bass for a living, back in the seventies, and together they have a rather oxymoronic moral ... keep your eyes open when you play or always keep them closed.

I hope you enjoyed these anecdotal recollections. My name is Steve Flacy. I today work as a director of information technology for a large precast concrete company and play bass for fun. You may view my Bandmix profile at http://bandmix.com/profile56782.html. Rock out.

Didn't Adrian also play drums? I saw him with King Crimson @ The Greek Theater in Griffith Park around 84 I think.

Cheers,
Matt
#7278 by Flacy
Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:41 am
Yes, Adrian started as a drummer.

#7556 by LynnMagnuson
Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:36 am
You should play some Guns and Roses and dedicate it to the occasion!

Or knock the gun out of the guys hand with your bass next time!

Lynn in New Orleans ... murder capital of the world :( :(

#37227 by gigdoggy
Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:57 pm
Crazy stories !!

both are very well written. I found myself laughing out loud.

Thanks

#88140 by PSPam
Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:54 pm
Hi Steve. I sent you a couple of pics from the "old days" in Tallahassee to the 99cent address. Sure hope you get them :-) If not, you can email me at and I will resend to a different address. Hope you are HEALTHY and HAPPY and it was quite a "flashback" finding you here. Far out! LOL

Peace
Pam