This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Relive your fondest & worst memories "on the road".

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#32339 by gigdoggy
Mon May 26, 2008 4:48 pm
I have already asked this type of question in the bandmix forums and have not received many replies.

Is it because many of you don't sell merchandise?
If you don't, why not?

And If you do, Do you do it often? Is it a good investment?
How do you organize and promote your merch sales and what techniques tend to work best.

We are preparing a topic on this in our blog
www.gigdoggy.com

It will be based on band quotes. If we quote you we'll link back to your website with your name of course :)

Regards,

GigDoggy

#32361 by Starfish Scott
Mon May 26, 2008 7:08 pm
It's because no one wants to use your product, wtfever you are selling.

#32362 by gigdoggy
Mon May 26, 2008 7:42 pm
sorry to disappoint you Captain Scott, but i am only here to get some answers on how to organize a tour i am planning on doing.

Just looking for answers and usually i get pretty good insightful advice on these forums, not looking to sell anything, so i don't need that kind of attitude.

Why would you think that in the first place, why the provocation?

I am sure bands here sell merch and other dont but would like to.

That is why i launched this topic. Nothing wrong with that and if there is, please let me know cause i don't get it.

I have a blog i actively promote because bands give me good reviews and comments on the content. And I try to base it on band quotes so that i dont bullshit around explaining stuff i dont do or understand. I leave that to the bands and most of them like the concept.

I link their quotes to their websites, and when i look at my blog stats i see visitor click on those links, so thats a good thing, not a bad thing.

Now i am working on a merchandise topic because merch helps touring bands. The more people will share the knowledge they have on the matter the more others will learn. Good , not bad.

So captain scott, now that you know i am not selling or promoting anything to make money off your back, have you got any useful and constructive info to share?

Regards,

Gigdoggy

#32449 by fisherman bob
Tue May 27, 2008 4:46 am
Because of the lousy pay the bar owners are dishing out (too many bands trying to get into too few clubs) it almost becomes economically necessary to try and supplement your income at shows. Whatever you can sell profitably (CD's, clothing, bumper stickers, etc.) to promote your band and add a little income is definitely worth it. With the damn gas prices at a ridiculous level it becomes necessary to make up the difference with some extra sales. I played with a local recording artist a few years ago and he always sold some CD's and added at least enough profit to cover some of his expenses. It's becoming harder and harder for bands to make any money. Kind of a shame really. Later...

#32450 by gigdoggy
Tue May 27, 2008 5:29 am
thx bob
But investing in merchandise can be costly, mostly for an unestablished band on a tight budget. Im thinking that even if your a small band with no big following, what counts most for the audience is the design of your products. If your more established fans will also like to simply buy a t-shirt with your name and logo cause they know and like the band.

I guess all depends on your design, if its appealing, trendy or whatever
and how you present it

But Im still asking myself if its a safe bet. Any sugestions?

#32550 by Starfish Scott
Wed May 28, 2008 3:57 am
I just notice the thinly disguised repetition. I guess it's "if at first you don't succeed, keep trying to find a pigeon."

#33309 by jw123
Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:43 pm
Recently I havent been selling any merch. But a few years ago I sold a lot of T-Shirts. The only problem with t-shirts is you really want people to wear them, and lots of times the gals with nice hooters got shirts for free. Youve just got to hold the line and not give too much away.

Funny side story. I went to this big Rolling Stone stadium concert. Had great seats on the floor but very few reastrooms. A guy next to me said hop the fence and go to the upper restrooms, its a lot quicker. My wife and I are walking up and see this guy next to the aisle with one of my Aint Yo Mama t-shirts on. Im standing there and say what is that? He says man they are the best f***** band in this town even better than the Stones, you should check them out. I walk away laughing at that one cause Im the one who sold him the t-shirt.

t-shirts can be had for around 6$, I think you could charge 20$ for a nice one, also thats a nice round number for change. We did a outdoor festival and sold 50 of em one time, most gigs you could count on selling 5-10, so it could be an extra 60-200 dollars a show if handled right.

Local shows cds sell for 10$

We are putting the old act back together and plan on using our first few gigs money to build some inventory of things to sell, I think the more the better, we have a sound guy who we may cut in on the profits to entice him to sell stuff and to leave the mix alone, I think the more things you have the better, anything from a dollar for a bumper sticker up to 50$ for some sort of tour jacket You want something for everyone to buy.

Good Luck, like I said just watch the giveaways they will kill you on profits, and everyone is your biggest fan when they want merch

#33316 by gigdoggy
Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:32 pm
hey dude
thx for the comment. man thats a crazy story about the guy and your shirt.
must of felt good.

$20 a tshirt, if your established, like big time i can see that happening, but for small bands seems expensive.

In venues you would only sell between 5 and 10?
How would you market your stuff to the audience?

I just posted an article on merch in my blog
check it out and tell me what you think

http://gigdoggy.wordpress.com/

Where coming up with other topics soon, im trying to gather some band quotes. Mind if i use yours jw123?

mruff

#33819 by jw123
Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:01 pm
g-diggy,

the last concerts I went to the bands were charging 30-40 dollars for basic t-shirts. I think 15 for a tank top and 20 for a basic t is a good price.

We had a merchandise table just like the big shows and we ussually hung a couple of shirts over the pa speakers and mentioned them all night long. At one point people would actually call me to get a t-shirt for friends. When we did a show new years people were asking for them.

I think shirts depend on the name of the band.

#37265 by AirViking
Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:12 am
Design and Name are major Keys.
Like our band name is Slaying of the Beast.
which is long so we just put SOTB.
In addition, include some to you symbol or single songs.
Pricing matters too.

As for demos or full track CDs. Its more of crowd feel, and compitition,
until your name is at least 2nd or 1st on the tour banner.

#38051 by philbymon
Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:35 pm
A good logo is a must. This bluegrass band I was in yrs ago had a cool name - Red Moon - & a great logo with a wolf howling at a red moon. Nice pic. They sold a lot of t's, gave a lot away, too, but that was just an advertising cost in their minds. They also had teensy lil halters made up with the logo. After I left the band, they had thongs & panties done up too, & they tell me that they sell a lot of them.

Heck, if I had a well-established band, I'd get steering wheel covers & suspenders & fishing hats & so on made up, as well as the stickers & decals & posters that everyone else does. Everyone needs something, ya know? If you put your logo on something someone needs, you'll get that impulse sale that others don't.

#38052 by gbheil
Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:58 pm
Wow :idea: NKF Christian Rock Band thong :idea:
Why did I not think of that before :?: :lol:

#38101 by philbymon
Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:09 am
Hey sans...howzabout a "NKF Christian Cork Screw" for the comunion wine?

#38110 by Starfish Scott
Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:06 am
LOL I want a "NKF Kumite Mouth Piece". It's guaranteed to keep your teeth in when hit, maybe.

#38199 by gbheil
Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:38 am
Good ones guys!
I think Mogan David has a scew on lid.
I could get NKF knee pads for all that praying for gigs I've been doing of late :D