This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Relive your fondest & worst memories "on the road".

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#39545 by AirViking
Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:49 pm
i really cant stand the bag pipe.

#39548 by stillkicken
Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:01 pm
AirViking, listen to bon scott on ac/dc's its a long way to the top. The bagpipe will make the wax run out of your ears, good stuff

#39569 by gbheil
Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:06 am
Man I had totally forgot about the pipes on that tune. :D
AC/DC does good rock!

#39579 by philbymon
Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:58 am
Check out Jethro Tull's Warchild. "The 3rd Hurrah" is an amazing piece of music, & yes, it has bagpipes.

#39621 by gbheil
Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:49 pm
I can agree to all but one point. No one knows your sound like your own soundman. In my limited experience venue soundmen sometimes have their own agenda.

#39637 by philbymon
Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:41 pm
Anyone who doesn't fit, or add to the music in a positive way - that includes any instrument & any musician.

I don't think there are too many of us who haven't met ppl who just couldn't help the music along no matter how hard they tried, or who wanted to be the star of the stage so much that they ruined it for everyone else, including the audience.

On another note, I'd say that there haven't been too many of us that haven't been in their shoes at one point or another - you know - you've had some situations when you just couldn't click with anyone, or the music was just too alien for you to be able to contribute, or you just had a terrible night.

#39659 by gbheil
Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:30 am
Terrible night?
I seem to have those when I practice all week.
What,s up with that?
Those weeks I'm so busy with other crap I dont practice much it seems I can't miss a lick.

#39664 by AirViking
Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:45 am
ok im changing mine to the lone bagpiper.

either way bags are annoying.
if you want a great lead reed instrument go with the oboe.
a bagpipe is like the french horn of reed instruments (burn.)
and a french horn is like a fender. (cant wait for the hate mail on that.)

actually i change mine. a drum machine.

pop culture thinks its an instrument.
only good thing about a drum machine is it'll show up to practice. sober.

#39694 by Andy132
Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:00 pm
It can also stay in time

#39695 by stillkicken
Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:05 pm
What did the drummer get on his IQ test? Drool

#44919 by philbymon
Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:55 pm
Hey lil Miss Greeniemagic! Where've you been hiding? I need my Greenie-fix MUCH more often, you know! :wink:

I'm checking ol' Jimi out right now, & I gotta tell you that, yeah, he's pleasant to hear. I like his energy, & the spacy sound of "Jammin'." He's got a killer drummer, too.

"Crossing the Meldons" is more bagpipey traditional, isn't it? A bit droney for me.

"Battle at the Bridge of Perth" starts off, like so many piping tunes, very spooky, or maybe "ethereal" is a better word, & I like that. I just wish the instrument was a bit more versatile, & it could more easily go other places.

Okay, now "Too Long In This Condition" really DOES surprize me. How the heck does he get it to slide like that? Is it a special set of pipes, or is it done electronically? Neat, whatever he's doing. I hope celticpiper checks this out.

Still, it's kinda like reggae with me...a little goes a long way. I'm not that big a fan of the thing. LOL

Good to see you're back, m'lady.

#44941 by Greeniemagic
Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:18 am
Hey Philby :P

Will get on more often, just been busy learning some more tunes. Not been having much luck getting the gigs at the mo but hopefully a two hr set will solve that problem as a lot of places require you to do two 45 min sets!!!

#44954 by philbymon
Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:09 pm
TWO 45 MIN SETS?!?!?!?!?!

Damn! You have it EASY across the pond! Flamingo Road usually plays 4 of them, & rarely less. 9 to 1 are our usual hours when we play out.

How do you get off with a 2 hour show?

When we do festivals & the like, yeah, we're only playing 1 or 2 sets, but in a bar setting we go the distance.