This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Relive your fondest & worst memories "on the road".

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#23779 by jw123
Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:13 pm
I just found out hes in town sunday night. Im headed out of town but wil be back hopefully in time to see him. Hes one of my idols on guitar and still tours relentlessly. Some one hinted that Jack Bruce may be playing bass with him. Now that would really be awesome. They are playing at The New Daisy on Beale Street in Memphis TN sunday March 2 if anyone else is in the area and wants to check it out.

#23801 by gbheil
Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:30 pm
I hope you do make that concert John, Trower is awsome and has also been an influence on me. (not that you could tell by hearing me play lol) For sure let us know how it goes.

#23806 by jw123
Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:01 pm
George, Ive seen him 3 times now. Once every decade or so. He has the greatest hand vibrato Ive ever seen. I'll update if I get down there or Im not too tired from my little trip this weekend.

#24157 by jw123
Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:06 pm
Well its monday morning and my ears are still buzzing from Trower last night.

Ive seen Trower 4 times now and he is still awesome. He was at the New Daisy Theatre in Memphis March 2. He played for an hour and a half. A drummer friend went with me and we were both a little dissapointed in his drummer. He seemed a little out of shape and the tempos of some of the songs sounded a little slow to me. This continued thruout the show.

The club we saw him in holds around 800 people and it was packed to the gills. We got up front in a position that I could hear his amps and also the pa stack was turned in. This was a very loud show. He was using 2 Marshall half stacks, a Plexi and a JCM 800. Of course he played his signature strats. He was using FullTone pedals. I was suprised I expected a Cry-Baby or a Morley wah like Ive seen him use in the past, but most of the pedals looked like brand new models instead of vintage gear like you might expect. The Plexi half stack was set up with a cleaner tone than the JCM 800 giving him a nice thick blend of tone. He had both amps cranked.

The show went all thru his material of course the best crowd response came from Bridge of Sighs, Day of the Eagle, A Little Bit Of Sympathy, and Too Rolling Stoned from the album Bridge Of Sighs. I also heard the early songs Twice Removed From Yestyear and Hanna. One of my favorites of the night was Victims Of The Fury which I had totally forgotten about, but it was one of his best songs and albums from back in the day.

Trower has one of the best vibratos in the business. He can hold a note and put either a gentle or abrupt bend that just sends chills down your spine. He has very good guitar tone with a minimum of equipment. Who needs all that rack gear when you have so much expression in your hands and soul. A lot of younger players could gain a lot watching a guy like Trower play.

Obviously you can tell that Im a huge fan. I really like that fact that at his age he is still out there bringing his no frills style of rock n roll on the road. The vocalist covered all the songs well and his bass player for me was the best part of his band. They were very tight. Other than the tempos I thought they were fantastic.

If he comes to your area I would highly recomend this show to any guitarist, he is one of the masters in my opinion. In Memphis the show was only 20 dollars and t-shirts were only 25 dollars, so the prices brought back an old era of music for me. Based on the crowd and the response he got he could have easily charged twice that much and noone would have cared.

#24180 by jw123
Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:56 pm
For any one interested in his gear setup, I found this elsewhere:

Here's an 'approximate' rundown of Robin's touring gear!

(2) Fawn colored 1979 4x12 Marshall cabinets (year not model as Marshall amazingly uses seemingly random year numbers for cabinet models, i.e, 1960A cabinet -huh? - (not sure why they did this but it is very confusing) I saw RT with these same cabinets at the 'Stone on Broadway' San Francisco in the 80's.

(1) Marshall 2210, 100 watt JCM-800 head (made in the 80's)

(1) Marshall Mark II 100 watt head circa 1976

(2-3) Fender Robin Trower Custom Shop Signature Stratocasters, Cream, Sunburst and Wine (this one may or may not be on this current tour.) Pickups are as such - Neck-50's, middle-70's, and bridge Texas Specials. Large 70's headstock, abalone inlays on neck - all maple necks.

Effects are all 'Fulltone!' he uses all of these pedals on tour at one time or another, Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, Fat Boost, Deja-Vibe 2, Fulltone Clyde Wah Deluxe, OCD-Obessesive Compulsive Drive, Boss-TU-2 Tuner - he tunes down a whole step to 'D' and uses Ernie Ball .012 - .048 strings.

#24202 by Chris2203
Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:32 pm
I've seen him play twice. Awesome is an understatement.

#44269 by charley sky
Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:01 am
LOVE THAT TRIO SOUND, LIVE OR IN RECORDING. NOT TO MAN TRIO''S TODAY.

#175942 by AJ6stringsting
Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:10 am
jw123 wrote:Well its monday morning and my ears are still buzzing from Trower last night.

Ive seen Trower 4 times now and he is still awesome. He was at the New Daisy Theatre in Memphis March 2. He played for an hour and a half. A drummer friend went with me and we were both a little dissapointed in his drummer. He seemed a little out of shape and the tempos of some of the songs sounded a little slow to me. This continued thruout the show.

The club we saw him in holds around 800 people and it was packed to the gills. We got up front in a position that I could hear his amps and also the pa stack was turned in. This was a very loud show. He was using 2 Marshall half stacks, a Plexi and a JCM 800. Of course he played his signature strats. He was using FullTone pedals. I was suprised I expected a Cry-Baby or a Morley wah like Ive seen him use in the past, but most of the pedals looked like brand new models instead of vintage gear like you might expect. The Plexi half stack was set up with a cleaner tone than the JCM 800 giving him a nice thick blend of tone. He had both amps cranked.

The show went all thru his material of course the best crowd response came from Bridge of Sighs, Day of the Eagle, A Little Bit Of Sympathy, and Too Rolling Stoned from the album Bridge Of Sighs. I also heard the early songs Twice Removed From Yestyear and Hanna. One of my favorites of the night was Victims Of The Fury which I had totally forgotten about, but it was one of his best songs and albums from back in the day.

Trower has one of the best vibratos in the business. He can hold a note and put either a gentle or abrupt bend that just sends chills down your spine. He has very good guitar tone with a minimum of equipment. Who needs all that rack gear when you have so much expression in your hands and soul. A lot of younger players could gain a lot watching a guy like Trower play.

Obviously you can tell that Im a huge fan. I really like that fact that at his age he is still out there bringing his no frills style of rock n roll on the road. The vocalist covered all the songs well and his bass player for me was the best part of his band. They were very tight. Other than the tempos I thought they were fantastic.

If he comes to your area I would highly recomend this show to any guitarist, he is one of the masters in my opinion. In Memphis the show was only 20 dollars and t-shirts were only 25 dollars, so the prices brought back an old era of music for me. Based on the crowd and the response he got he could have easily charged twice that much and noone would have cared.

I've seen him over 5 times. Yeah, I can shred like Malmsteen, Satriani, do 8 fingered tapping ..... but his one note can kill a million notes. Trower is one criminally ignored guitarist !!!!

#175945 by Etu Malku
Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:37 pm
I've loved Robin Trower since I was wee tike! Great tone and feel. I use a lot of Fulltone as well, pretty decent pedals. My band was one of the opening acts and Robin was the headliner a few years ago at BB Kings in NYC, his show was just molten lava and thunder, sweet, quiet guy as well.

Check out this "odd couple" . . .

#200607 by stargazingboy
Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:18 pm
I toured with Robin as support act around the uk a couple of years ago. Top man, very down to earth and very kind to us! :)

#200608 by stargazingboy
Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:18 pm
I toured with Robin as support act around the uk a couple of years ago. Top man, very down to earth and very kind to us! :)

#200648 by Starfish Scott
Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:29 pm
Is that YOU with Robin Trower, ETU ???

(that's a joke, dude).. (rim shot and cymbal) lol